Snake murdered/ Authorities powerless

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, it's expected to see keyboard herpers on a reptile forum but keyboard physcologists?

All you good (unfortunate) people living in NSW should take this opportunity and demand free reptile keeping. Ask your government why you should pay money to an authority which hasn't got any authority to act on your behalf. Is there anything at all they do for you apart from taking your money?

Short answer: no. it's all about the profit.

But DSE is Victoria anyway. I'd love for DECC to say they only deal with wild animals. As you said earlier waterrat, if they gave me a comment like that in writing it'd be the last time I paid for a licence to keep captive bred animals....

Last edited:
As others have said. and I'll re-iterate. Theres probably more to this than meets the eye I suspect, and without all info, I reserve my judgement.

However.. having lived with people with all manner of phychotic mental illness' in the past, if it was the mother, then I feel the killing of the snake is the least of his issues.

its all very well for people to say....kill her, mover her out, just move out etc..etc.. Mentally ill people / drug affected people (i'm not saying she is...but from whats been described, theres a good chance she is) do not think logically. Very reasonable things to them seem infact very unreasonable and out there to us. They need help and care and tolerance. I'm very sorry for your mates snake, but it appears his mother may infact need a lot more of the looking after.

Thought it was against the law to commit cruelty to animals?
Strange story just the same.

Was stated by OP
I know it was. But how do YOU know she is a pill addict. How does the op know she is a pill addict/alcoholic. Does his mate drink or take drugs. Could his mate have done something in a drunken/stoned blackout? Not saying the op is wrong, just saying its hard/impossible to know what happened without both sides of the story and proof:?:) Strange it was bludgeoned to death with a stick, in a cage that had been trashed, but found in its hide.:? If it was the mother, there must be a motive behind it. Even in a drug crazed/alco state, the snake would have been a target for a certain reason................. if it was her.

So should us keepers in Vic. Miss the return date for your license by 1 day or fail to fill out your record book correctly and risk a fine, but kill a protected animal and they turn a blind eye. BLOODY PITIFUL.

Semantics...

It's exactly right. Makes you wonder why we bother getting licensed. All it does it helps to paint a big DSE target on your forehead :lol:

Lot of ifs and maybes in this thread.
One things remains the same:- the snake is dead.
Its unfortunate, but nothing less than a sacred indian burial ground will bring it back.
I suggest the OP offers his mate support as needed but stay away from other families problems. As for some of the posters in this thread, I can lend you a shovel to remove the sand wedged in your nether regions as it would appear to be causing irritation.

Let’s just put this into perspective, as best one can from what has been said. Your mate has asked you to help him have his mother punished by an outside authority for killing his young RBBS. He has said she has addiction problems with wine and prescription drugs. He lives with her because he had a relationship breakdown. He blames his mother because only she had access to his keys an could have taken a key from his key ring (which I assume is still missing).

Your mate appears to have a problem with a mentally sick mother. He does NOT have problem with a dead snake! It ain’t coming back and vengeance, even if it were available, is the worst option. If there has been on-going conflict or difficulties prior to this, then he obviously is not helping his mother’s condition. Time he developed the nurries to admit it and get back out into the big bad world on his own.

If this is a first up, then it is evident the mother had some form of issue and he should be talking to her. He should be ringing any one of the multitude of counselling agencies available for advice. By the sounds of it, it would not hurt him to access the same. He could also let the local doctors know about her drug usage. There are number of different options available if he seriously wants to help.

DES know what they can get away with on the phone. And they rightly refused to get involved with a domestic. If you pressured then by email, they might turn up in a month or so and say the evidence is inconclusive... sorry, cannot help.

Blue

No he is not a drug addict, nor does he take drugs. Why would anybody kill their own pet and then ring DSE to say it had been killed, I have met this lady and I believe she would have done it to spite him. He has since told me that she has previously let his pet bird out, flushed his fish and sprayed his spiders and scorpions. As I said he is 110% sure his mother is responsible for its death, it was found under its hide as in the hide was placed on top of the body of the snake itself. I wasnt asking if she should get help or if you believe she killed it. I was simply asking if anyone could offer any advice. To all those that have tried to help, thanks.

Why keep buying pets if you know your mother/flatmate/or anyone else is going to continually kill (or at least try to kill) them?

I was sympathetic to the guy right up until your last post outlining the previous incidents. It's pretty idiotic to keep bringing pets into that house. Just move out and buy whatever you want afterwards. But if he persists in bringing animals in there for his mum to have a crack at he is as culpable as she is.

Depending on what state you're in, I would possibly contact RSPCA, they may be able to help you, maybe by giving you someone you can talk to and the steps to take to prosecute. He can still claim destruction of property, take away the fact that the snake was living, it's still his property and she had no right to destroy it, if it were a TV and she came in and smashed it up, he could get charges laid, no reason why you can't go down that avenue. Adding the fact that the snake was a real live animal, just makes it sick and a horrible situation. I know if it happened in the US, Animal control would prosecute and lay charges so severe that she'd potentially land herself in Jail. If only we were that hard over here in regards to animals. Throw a dog off a bridge and you'll get done for it, drown and kitten and you'll get done for it, so why is it any different because it's a snake?!?!

Throw a dog off a bridge and you'll get done for it, drown and kitten and you'll get done for it, so why is it any different because it's a snake?!?!

Because reptiles aren't cute, fluffy, introduced, domesticated vermin.

Anyway, she is in dire need of professional help.

It really is a shame to hear about all of his pets, but all the same, bringing pets
into close proximity with a drug affected person is just asking for trouble.

People on harmful drugs simply aren't right in the head, she needs help.

Because reptiles aren't cute, fluffy, introduced, domesticated vermin.

True, however from a legal point of view... it's like saying child abuse doesn't matter if the child is ugly or disabled....

ok, not quite ​the same, but you get what I mean!

Question, does he live with his mother and if so did she say he could bring a RBB into her house?

+1 but still to kill it? Would she have done the same wIth a carpet
Or a pitbull or a tarty g/friend?

True, however from a legal point of view... it's like saying child abuse doesn't matter if the child is ugly or disabled....

ok, not quite ​the same, but you get what I mean!
:lol:
But I'm still ugly and getting abused:lol:

as much as you would feel like doing that i would not recommend it. last thing we want is another dead snake:cry:

Or dead mother from the heartattack thinking it came back alive Luke jeebus

Last edited:
I think you may have missed the point that I was trying to make. You have clearly indicated that the mother has a mental illness – prescription drugs and alcohol addiction. In case you or your mate is not aware, these addictions are not a choice people make. They come about due to some underlying condition that prevents the normal workings of the brain, resulting in a need to find something to allow then to cope with everyday living.

Punishing the mother for what she has done is not going to change the circumstances for the better. It will not change her basic errant behaviour because it is not addressing the underlying cause. If your mate really wants to address what has been happening, he will make the effort to get appropriate professional medical help for his mother.

I would also add that given your last post, your mate knew full well what is mother was capable of. It was therefore rather irresponsible of him to leave the keys where she could access them. Is he going to punish himself as well?

I have held my tongue but the logic of what you are trying to do here completely escapes me.

Blue

In light of everything then, I will offer this advice. Advise your friend not to bring anymore anmals into the house, untill his mother gets treatment / medication if thats what the situation needs.

In relation to the dead snake......as previously stated, I do feel for your mate. not a good situation.

Unfortunately......even if the authorities were to act, it would go no-where. not because its a snake. but because in a court of law the evidence is circumstantial. Even if there was evidence that it was the mother (I'm not saying it wasnt by the way), a court may just find her guilty and dismiss the matter. Due to her mental state, I doubt she'd even get a fine, definately not a conviction and at best maybe a court order to see a therapist of some kind.

Solution to all this........theres isnt one. Fo future reference...What u can do is stop it from happeneing again. dont bring animals into the house, move out, or hope she gets help of some kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back