Books

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeannine

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
like a lot of others i have read the Harry Potter books, though must confess i didnt get into them or the movies until recently

i found i missed reading so recently purchases the "The Inheritance Cycle" by Christopher Paolini its a series of four books (ill post a link to the information on them at the bottom) such a young man when he wrote the first book

they arrived today in their own personal post bag cause they are so big and heavy
:lol:, poor hubby got the mail from the mail box today and im sure he would have had to drag them to the car, poor bugga

anyway started reading book one a few hours ago and totally lost myself in it for a few hours (books about 400+ pages) thing is by the time i find my way back my joints are so frozen in place i can hardly stand let along move around so ive put the book down for tonight

so anyway else out there have favorite writers? books? they want to share

Christopher Paolini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love love love both of those series - they are brilliant books! You're lucky you started reading the inheritance cycle after they'd all been written. When I first started reading the series it was when the first book was brand new and, being not such a patient person, it was quite a painful wait for me waiting for the release of each book. :)

Another couple of series I enjoy reading are, Earth's Children (older series but the last one only came out last year - first book, 'The Clan of the Cavebear' came out in the 60's if I recall correctly?), House of Night series, Fallen Series etc.

Happy Reading :)

The Riftwar Saga etc by Raymond E Feist, There must be over 20 books in the series with the last one due to come out year i think. The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind are awesome,I think there is about 8 or 9 of those.Just started reading the A Song of Ice & Fire series by George RR Martin ( the show game of thrones is based on them) and they are brilliant. They are all fantasy books and i could read them over and over again. Another great author is Conn Iggulden, He has done the Emperor series that is based on Julius Ceaser and more recently the Conqueror series based on Ghengis Khan and his children. They are a great read.
Ths Sookie Stackhouse books and Vampire Academy books my Fiancee introduced me to and they are really enjoyable also.

Juliet Marillier is my absolute favourite author - anything she writes is just incredible.

Right now I'm reading The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (Book One of the Mistborn books) so far it's really good.

I love my fantasy books. As does my hubby (a big fan of R.A. Salvatore, Terry Goodkind, Margaret Weiss etc).
Some top series if you're into fantasy are:
The Quickening. Trinity. Percheron. All series by Fiona McIntosh, yet to read more of her work. Just can't put her books down!
The Demon Child trilogy by Jennifer Fallon. Yet to read more of her series but I love her work so far.
3 books by Kristin Cashore, in order: Graceling, Fire and then Bitterblue. The characters are brilliant and the storyline is very different.
The Pellinor series by Alison Croggon. 4 decent-size books (love the larger series) and all excellent reading.
Lynn Kurland's The Nine Kingdoms trilogy was definitely enjoyable. Little more on the romantic side of fantasy though.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer. (Yes she wrote the Twilight series but this book is really worth a read!).
Alien invasion but completely different to what you'd expect. I wish she'd write a sequel already though.

I'm currently reading the Hunger Games trilogy but when I'm done with that I'm going to re-read my John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began series. Probably the only series I'll ever read for a second time! Then I plan to read The Ellie Chronicles for the first time to finish it off before the second movie comes out.

Eventually I will start reading all of the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance books my husband has been stocking up since I met him. Every time I complain I'm out of books to read he points at them and lifts and eyebrow. Maybe I should trust him on being good books and give it a go. :lol:

I can't believe I forgot The Hunger Games and the Host!! It's a brilliant read and the tomorrow series! Jande listed some amazing books. :)

The Inheritance books are really good. My 2 all time favourite book series is the Tomorrow When The War Began series by John Marsden, and The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop - all of her books are amazing!
Also, Cecelia Dart-Thornton's The Bitterbynde Trilogy and Crowthistle chronicles,
Fiona McIntosh - The Quickening and Valisar trilogies
And David Eddings - all books

The Inheritance books are really good. My 2 all time favourite book series is the Tomorrow When The War Began series by John Marsden, and The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop - all of her books are amazing!
Also, Cecelia Dart-Thornton's The Bitterbynde Trilogy and Crowthistle chronicles,
And David Eddings - all books

I couldn't get into the Bitterbynde trilogy. I read a few chapters of the first book but it felt like it wasn't going anywhere fast enough for my liking. Would it be worth trying again and sticking with it a bit longer?

Jealous you've read Valisar. I hope it's as good as everyone's saying. :) And I'll take a look into the Inheritance books and some Anne Bishop books down the track now too, thanks. I have never read a David Eddings book, either. My step-mum says I can't call myself a fantasy novel reader without having read all of his books. I guess I'm not short on things to read after all! :lol:

I've been reading Stephen king books Since I was 13. I know people really dont tend to take him serious but he has some amazing books and if you have not read Christien and 11/22/63 you should those are 2 of my favourite aswell as The dark tower series by him are really really good
Also Stephen kings son writes books and they are very easy reading and enjoyable, He goes by the Penname Joe Hill and would suggest reading Heart shaped box by him

i learnt with HP, so i bought all four of the books together in the one pack so i would have the next one to follow as soon as i finished the first one, im almost finished book 1 now

thanks for some suggestions, will definitely look at some of them

i forgot to mention im currently purchasing the books from which the series "Bones" was made from so ill have something to read when im finished these 4 books

The Hunger Games is always a great read, I've read it twice. There are 3 books in the series and all equally as good.
You've probably watched to movie but trust me, the books are way better!

A recent one I've read is Hitlers Canary. It is very interesting and is about the Nazis invading Denmark and the store of a young boy living through it.

Good to hear all these ppl love reading!

Brian Lumley's Necroscope series is awesome. Have read through them 3 times now. Sci Fi / Horror.. brilliant.

Havent read much but my favourites are David Eddings Belgariad and Malorean series.

Currantly waiting in anticipation for the George RR Martin to release the next book in the Song of Ice and Fire

Just finished reading 'We need to talk about Kevin', haven't stayed up reading till early in the morning in a long time but this book got me there, truly excellent.

Dean Koontz!!!! OMG! Someone mentioned Stephen King? Well,if you like Stephen King then give Koontz a try ;) I converted lmao! Koontz writes like King but Koontz adds that twist. If you havent read any of his books,start with 'Watchers'. It was the very first Koontz book i read,and i fell in love!!!! Now i have pretty much read them all,except the Odd Thomas series which i need to pinch from dads house lol.

I also got the Twilight books on audio. I used to work cleaning schools,hated the job but it was a job. Anyways,there was a possum in the roof and that scared the absolute bejeezers out of me!!!!! I was alone in a dark school cleaning,and there is something running in the roof! What was worse was that i was in the library and i immediately thought of the library scene in 'Ghostbusters'!!!!! I admit i near wet myself in fear!!!! From that night on,i made sure my ipod was charged,and i put an audio book in it up loud so that i never heard the possum in the roof again lol.

I'm a big Fiona McIntosh fan :) I'll second you that the Valisar trilogy was brilliant!
I wasn't crazy about the Quickening books to be honest. But the Valisar and Percheron (? From memory lol) books are sooo good.

I'm a big Fiona McIntosh fan :) I'll second you that the Valisar trilogy was brilliant!
I wasn't crazy about the Quickening books to be honest. But the Valisar and Percheron (? From memory lol) books are sooo good.

I haven't read Percheron but it seems I'm going to have to :)

sounds like a lot of really good books out there to read

im almost finished book 1 of the 'Inheritance Cycle' and i find once i have started reading it my good intentions of only reading a few chapters goes out the window
:lol:

i find for me if a book (or a show/movie/etc) doesnt grab me in the first few minutes then i loose interested in it

i confess to finding the later HP movies disappointing as so much was cut out of them when they made the movies, i also know "Eragon" was made into a movie but have heard others say its pales in comparison to the books

i love the series 'Bones' hence i decided to buy them and read them to see if they shows are true to the books or not

i dont mind Stephen King, ive read a few of his books when i was a lot younger so cant remember them but again something i might pick up when im looking for other stuff to read

i can see im going to have to invest in a book shelf
:lol:

anyone else find it easier and in some cases cheaper to buy from oversea's sellers on ebay? i have noticed these books, like HP, have different covers to i try to buy all the books with the same covers (yes strange but not really) so when i couldnt find the first book from the 'Bones' series i bought it from a local business, 3 working days it took to process a paypal payment and 6 workings days to post, they claimed paypal isnt an instant payment blah blah blah...however i find oversea's places process paypal payments and post in 24 - 48hrs so if they can do it i cant understand why locals cant and they wonder why some people shop overseas instead

Read the Potter books a couple times each, I've also read all of the Inheritence Cycle and like others have said it was a very long wait for that 4th book. I also like Matthew Reilys books, they're pretty good.

Ive also read LOTR (including the Hobbit), the thirty-nine steps, Bourne series, 1984, Jurassic Park and a series of unfortunate events

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back