Stimson's python looked ready to shed then... didn't?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetain

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a thread that directly related to this potential problem. I've had Reggie, a 6 month old Stimson's Python, for about a month and a half and he hasn't shed while I've had him so I don't know if this is normal for him or not. All my Googling has only resulted in information about the normal shedding process or Monty Python -_-

First of all, a bit about him normally. He's a wonderful feeder, never had a problem with him eating, he loves being handled and he's not snappy at all. He's only bitten me once and that was when I took him out of his snake bag the first time when I got him home, so it's kinda understandable. Essentially, he's a dream for a first time snake owner.

Anyway, he's grown 10cm in the last month, started getting milky and got a bit snappy about 15 days ago so I assumed he was getting ready to shed. Apart from being a little bit snappy, he was acting like normal. I fed him like I do every Friday and just left him alone. His eyes went milky a couple of days later so I still left him alone to do his own thing and kept an eye on him. Then, a day or two after his eyes went milky, he went back to normal and wasn't snappy any more. I took him out of his enclosure to clean it and there was no skin, so he went back to normal without shedding. I called an exotic animals vet and they said while it's odd, it's not unheard of and it should be nothing to really worry about unless he starts acting different or not eating. I haven't changed anything in his enclosure since he settled in, his tank temp is generally 35-36 on the hot end and 26-27 on the cool end, he's still eating like a champ and I just use paper towels and shredded paper for him to hide in. I tired calling the breeder about this too, but he never answers his phone. I've left messages, but never get a call back.

I was just wondering if anyone here has experienced this happening with their snake or if anyone can shed (no pun intended) some like on this for me? I'm not freaking out, just a little worried I might be doing something wrong and curious as to why this might be happening. Thanks for any info you can share :)

They can take up to a week or more after the eye caps clear up to slough!
For the vet to tell you it is odd shows just how little they understand!

If defence of the vet, I talked to a vet nurse, not an actual vet (they were unavailable at the time) so I don't think the vet is inexperienced, I think the nurse is. Anyway, I took some photos of him with the milky eyes that're from 11 days ago, next day he had normal eyes and body again. Is no shed 10 days after clearing up a long time or pretty much normal?

Don't sweat it, one of my carpets used to take close to 3 weeks everytime he shed for the 7 years I owned him, he's still perfectly healthy with his new owner.

dont stress my stimi took some time for him and her to shed hi will be fine i was the same as you worried that i did some thin wrong but my male sheded and it was a good one hope this helps

Thanks so much for the reassurances guys. I wouldn't have bothered you all if the damn breeder would answer his phone! >_<

If defence of the vet, I talked to a vet nurse, not an actual vet (they were unavailable at the time) so I don't think the vet is inexperienced, I think the nurse is. Anyway, I took some photos of him with the milky eyes that're from 11 days ago, next day he had normal eyes and body again. Is no shed 10 days after clearing up a long time or pretty much normal?

That does explain the response!
They can take a little longer to complete the cycle during the winter months, Its quite normal!

My little stimmy is the same, the first time she shed with me she went milky and then bavk to normal and shed like three weeks later, i dont think its anything to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back