keeping pet spider's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Inverts are worse than reptiles in pet shops, unfortunately pet shops are completely clueless how to look after them like most other animals they sell.

Yeah thats true, there is one shop here that seems to look after their inverts pretty well, I always see crickets in the enclosures and the animals are sometimes active.

I can't even handle going near the tarantulas in the local pet shop!

Sad thing is though, I'm fairly certain that they are the same little spidey dudes in the same small plastic containers that have been there for 6-12 months.. Same with the 2 x Stimsons they have ... rarely get held, and are still only feeding on small pinky mice.. :(

I can't even handle going near the tarantulas in the local pet shop!

Sad thing is though, I'm fairly certain that they are the same little spidey dudes in the same small plastic containers that have been there for 6-12 months.. Same with the 2 x Stimsons they have ... rarely get held, and are still only feeding on small pinky mice.. :(

Thats horrible, poor Stimmies :(

They are great pets and if you need heat for them or not all depends on the species you get but what ever you do don't use a heat mat, tarantulas burrow to get away from the heat and aren't smart enough to realize that the deeper they go the hotter they get when using a heat mat. Just use a heat bulb and make sure they have plenty of borrowing space to escape the heat. Make sure you read as much as you can on the specimen you hope to get before purchasing it.

I've kept all my tarantulas and scorpions in Sydney without heating, you should be fine.

You don't need a license in NSW, and you can collect whatever, provided it's not from national parks etc.

Pet shop animals are fine, however, you cannot trust the species names they give you, as the chances of them knowing exactly what species they are keeping is virtually nil.
I would buy through forums, as you'll get a better selection, a much better chance of knowing what it is that you have.

Buy an adult female, not a sling, adults are much hardier and have a lot more tolerance for newbie mistakes, the slings have a high mortality rate to start with and are quite slow growing.
Adult males will give you about a year from maturity before dying, whereas females will give you about 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back