Which State Is Most Popular For Owning Reptiles (Mainly Snakes)??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RepifilmzTV

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone was just wondering what state was most popular in the way of people owning and keeping/ breeding snakes and reptiles? Thanks :)

Im fairly new to the hobby but it does like QLD are on top, NSW next and not so far behind vic? Since reptiles are not readily available in pet shop in NSW i found it that if you want to get into the hobby in NSW u must have the passion to research and find what is required. Not many people in NSW (so far that i know) buy reptiles on a whim which is a good thing for the care of the reptiles, just a little slow in growing the hobby.

I would say that Vic, QLD or the NT would suit me as you can keep croc (only to certain sizes, but at least you can keep them). I hope the NSW changes the regs regarding crocs eventually. I want one legally (got offered one the other day, it was so hard to say No).

NSW is terrible so many different licence classes and stepping stones. The OEH is always hard to deal with & until recently it took ages to get licences & import/export permits (plus you have to pay for permits, they are free in some states).

Probably should have made this a poll, but QLD for me. I wish we could keep freshies without having to have a demo license

Vic is great. Got a basic license and an Advanced licence.
No tiered system, no probation periods, nothing.
Just pay a bit more for an advanced and have a few more options, i.e. vens, crocs, rarer lirards/birds ect...

Our state government and the DSE is alot more liberal in their approach, which I find admirable. Yet our supply vs. demand still holds us back a bit.
We are allowed pretty much anything but being able to get your hands on them is another matter entirely...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back