Why exotics should not be permitted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longqi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Near Chendu just North of Kuta etc we have had some strange finds lately

Banded kraits that turned out to be American King snakes
Sumatran blood pythons
Taiwan beauty rat snake
Timber rattler
Finally tracked their origin down

A yank had a villa and 27 snakes
He sold his villa to someone else when he went back to USA
Gave them the snakes too
They are greenies who didnt like seeing snakes in boxes
So they let them go

Thank god there was only one rattle snake that we know of ever kept by him
Venom lab was most impressed
4 Rat snakes released
We caught one
4 blood pythons and we got them all
So far 2 king snakes we are keeping and named Candy and Beng beng [Indo chocolate bar]
plus 3 more dead because people thought they were kraits

So somewhere there are 13 unidentified snakes
Are they mambas??
or ball pythons or corn snakes??
or what?????
Ecological impact??
Possibly zero
Possibly huge

A fairly unique scenario (house + snakes) but none the less it illustrates the pros of having blanket ban on exotics in AUS. Hope mambas don't start coming out of the woodwork for you. Good luck.

I hope you find them longqi! :( i do want some exotics but i do understand why they are illegal and respect that, some keepers really are irresponsible BUT(I'm not trying to be a smart *** or anything) in this case i think that if it were legal, it should have been a lot easier for the yank to sell the snakes and so he wouldn't have to give them to someone who doesn't really want them?

Just my thought on it :D

off topic , i love beng-bengs and dynamints ohhhh i miss bali , be back in october , hoping to organise a trip with you or someone you know to go out herping although my time is very limited this trip , organising villas to be built and getting in enough surfing might be a little difficult :)

on topic , this is why i don't think we should keep exotics in australia , i don't know much about what impact they could have and don't pretend to know but with the story's people have told me since i got my snakes of their mate that had one but decided to let it go when it got big , people just couldn't be trusted to not do that with exotics , so before you know it , you would be seeing boas out in the bush instead of our good old snakes

nukl7 the yank would have been able to selll them on or give them away easy to someone who would have looked after them easy enough , it was in bali , he would have just been 2 bloody lazy

Oh my god, that's awful - I really hope everything gets sorted out and we don't see another Guam...

nukl7 the yank would have been able to selll them on or give them away easy to someone who would have looked after them easy enough , it was in bali , he would have just been 2 bloody lazy

Oops sorry guys my bad :lol: i've never been to bali i just thought it was somewhere in NT/QLD.

They are greenies who didnt like seeing snakes in boxes
So they let them go

Ecological impact??
Possibly zero
Possibly huge

oh the irony, but sadly it's an all too common misconception (?), and they miss out on the bigger picture altogether
on topic, considering on how the current weather is like, whatever got released probably have a decent survival rate i'd imagine, it being summer now in Indonesia n all that? Does the previous owner have records and such, if its possible to contact the guy?

More than welcome Dave
Drop back any time

We traced the yank to try to get details but he is running a bit scared because he knows we found the rattler
and traced it back to him
So hes not very forthcoming about what else was in there
Only said the rest are harmless and now doesnt return emails

Found a red tailed boa up there this morning
Been knocked around a bit but should be ok
Going back tonight for a look around the villa itself and hopefully track some more down
But its full moon so only the hunters will be out

With the correct licensing system in place exotics could be a large winfall for DECCW with the extra monies they could manage our national parks better oe even develop new ones

Sorry viper lady
Even with pretty strict licensing there are still plenty of exotics in Australia, smuggled in and kept by idiots who have no care for, or knowledge of Aussie wildlife
[I could possibly support exotics if the licence for each desexed male only, cost say $100,000 each specimen and anyone caught with breeding pairs faced a mandatory jail term]
Every week some Aussie idiot shows us photos of their boas or corns etc etc when they see us out and about
They simply dont care and one guy showed photos of a huge rack system hes using to turn out corn and king snakes
King snakes eat other snakes and most are immune to even rattle snake venom
Imagine what they will do to the wild populations of smaller Aussie elapids when enough escape to establish wild colonies in national parks etc

Both Australia and Indonesia have unique ecosystems
The potential damage to those ecosystems cannot be measured by guesswork

We will probably never know exactly what these idiots released and a similar scenario would eventually happen in Australia if exotics were permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back