Jags 101

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troyster

Reaction score
I have developed a bit of a soft spot for the "designer" Morphs and Jags lately but struggle trying to understand what makes a Jag a Jag?
I understand the whole milk shake x bred thing thats a no brainer, RPM's are also a pretty straight forward concept to identify.
Im hoping some of the EXPERIENCED BREEDERS would be willing to give us a quick tute to help us get a little bit more of an understanding of the genetics of what actually makes a Python a Jag?

Look up a thread about jaguar carpet python, if you find the right one on how it was bred then it will explain everything.
Not many people will reply to this as it has been done to death.
Like before rpms are jags

Why are only experienced breeders allowed to answer? Jag is simply a co-dominant trait that was discovered in Coastal carpets overseas. Heterozygous animals produce the "reduced" patterning that is the trademark look of the morph. The homozygous or "super" form is leucistic which is a pure white snake with black or blue eyes. Leucism is also lethal in every animal so far (unless someone out there is keeping a very big secret).
So to answer your question what makes a python a jag is its genetics.

Why are only experienced breeders allowed to answer? Jag is simply a co-dominant trait that was discovered in Coastal carpets overseas. Heterozygous animals produce the "reduced" patterning that is the trademark look of the morph. The homozygous or "super" form is leucistic which is a pure white snake with black or blue eyes. Leucism is also lethal in every animal so far (unless someone out there is keeping a very big secret).

have any pure australian coastals produced jag traits in hatchlings or just the overseas ones?

I think you may have misunderstood my point mate. I highlighted experienced breeders solely for the fact that i understand jags/rpms carry mutated genes, but what i dont understand, thus writing this thread is the genetics behind this. Hence i was seeking a some what brief summary in dominant and co dominant genes and what causes the reduction in patterns and further more what causes the genes to mutate in the first place.
It was my belief that experienced breeders in such animals would have a FAR better understanding of this than the average reptile/snake lover and collector such as myself with no breeding experience to date, therefore be able to explain it in a more simplified way.

Look up a thread about jaguar carpet python, if you find the right one on how it was bred then it will explain everything.
Not many people will reply to this as it has been done to death.
Like before rpms are jags

Thanks mate ill have a look for that thread.

I think you may have misunderstood my point mate. I highlighted experienced breeders solely for the fact that i understand jags/rpms carry mutated genes, but what i dont understand, thus writing this thread is the genetics behind this. Hence i was seeking a some what brief summary in dominant and co dominant genes and what causes the reduction in patterns and further more what causes the genes to mutate in the first place.
It was my belief that experienced breeders in such animals would have a FAR better understanding of this than the average reptile/snake lover and collector such as myself with no breeding experience to date, therefore be able to explain it in a more simplified way.

Thanks mate ill have a look for that thread.

They have one mutated gene that expresses itself in a co-dominant manner. I.e. If you receive one copy of the Jag allele from a parent and a normal copy from the other parent then you will be Jag. If you receive two copies then you will be a dead Lucy. (the superform). This means when a jag breeds with a normal then 50% of offspring will be Jag and 50% normal (on average)

It likely effects melanocytes in some way causing reduced pattern, lighter colouring and the associated neuro defects as melanocytes are involved in neural development. On what caused the initial mutation - it was likely pure fluke, mutations randomly happen from time to time, most are either useless or disadvantageous, occasionally something like this will pop up by pure chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back