Car audio system help/suggestions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

What better place to seek help than APS? lol..

I'm looking at upgrading the sound system in my car- I have a Mitsubishi Magna TJ Solara, which still has the stock head unit and speakers as far as I know. The CD player is also a 4 stack cd player which I'd like to keep if it'll somehow combine with a new head unit- I'm not sure if thats possible?

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions and possible prices for my car. I do love my music and would like a sub and amp, but have also been told I'm better off upgrading the head unit and speakers first. Any ideas on brands/any suggestions? I'll probably go 'mid range' but not really sure what these cost.

Any help, suggestions and information would be muchly appreciated :)

I favour Pioneer car stereo/radio (for a simple girl like me)....you don't need a pilots licence to use it and price was great, less than $200.00 on SALE

I can take my music with me and listen to what I like through my ipod or a usb full of my stuff :) It has a radio and plays CDs too and I still have my old 10 stacker CD player

Talk to the guys at your local JB HiFi store, they are always helpful. I didn't need to upgrade my original speakers.

Once you load up all your favourite CDs onto the usb you won't worry about carrying your CDs around in your car :)

Cheers
Sandee :)

What ya willing to spend, realisticly if you want good sound you usually have to get a new head unit as the original wont have all rca ports etc which you need for a amp. Plus cds are relics its all about ipods these days.
Ive gone through alot of different parts to get what i have-
Headunit- clarion touch screen ipod usb/aux only
Speakers- Type R Alpine components in the front, rear door speakers disconnect and replaced by 6x9 Type R Alpines in the Parcel Shelf.
I dont run a sub as space was a big problem for me.
And my Amp is a MTX that just goes so hard it's unbelievable

Now while this worked for me it cost alot of apprenticeship dollars and Tradesman dollars to get it to where I was happy. JbHiFi are okay depending on wether they have someone that knows their stuff and doesnt want to take you for all your $$$ just do some research on part numbers etc before buying

Just because you want to listen to music with quality gear doesn't mean you're the type to annoy everyone in the vacinity at the same time...

Just because you want to listen to music with quality gear doesn't mean you're the type to annoy everyone in the vacinity at the same time...

I agree i listen to no doof doof, but i do have a quality setup for pure clarity i play my music up loud on the freeway/highway etc and turn it down when i come into populated areas, i even go as far as turning it all the way down when i park anywhere

Whoops.. I edited the above post but then closed the page without posting it. I am blonde, what can I say lol.

Thanks for your help so far guys. I spose the main reason I asked about keeping the stacker was simply because I'm often reluctant regarding 'change' but provided I have a USB port on the head unit I'll be happy I spose :p

Do it all yourself, its not as hard as you think mate. I have no knoledge of how to do **** and I did it myself. Speaks plug straigh in, no issues there, Headset is pretty easy, a little cutting and wiring easy, amps a little harder but with reading instructions or having a mate there is a easy task. Also I recommend Option Audio. Best quality I have every own, and I had a 130DB (comp) sound system!

Yes you will be extremely happy :)

Once I got used to the pure simplicity of cramming everything (music/podcasts)from the computer onto my usb

then being able to take it with me in pocket or handbag I've never looked back.

I download podcasts from Morelia python radio and listen on the go... never stop learning :)

I agree. Getting the USB,AUX In and SD capabilities were the best choices we made on our new head unit. 64gb flash drives are so cheap these days and I've never managed to fill one and play everything on it. I used to carry 4gb and 8gb sticks and all the music on one flash drive would be the same genre. Eg one for rock, one for alternative etc etc. Really is worth it. Hope you find something you like, though I'm sure you will. ;)

If you want a car fourm
hardtune.net , skylines Australia , JDM styling , boost curzing
just to name a few

I changed my head unit and 2 front speakers 2 years ago. My girlfriend brought me the set, was a Sony XPLOD headunit with USB/AUX+ 2 front speakers. My car had a sub installed before i bought it so the wiring was still there but i did not want to rice my car up too much but i do want the sub now :lol:. The head unit my GF bought for me was $300 (think it was on special) + speakers and i would consider it mid/high range when she bought it. At that time the only thing better was bluetooth or the flip up screens which i did not want.

I totally agree too im not a doof doof guy (well, maybe a little) and i like subs. When people think of subs they just automatically think that everyone turns them on full like all the teens. It's nice to listen to songs with good bass. I'm sure if you got one it is only to enhance the beats not make your car into a moving night club :lol:.

Once you have picked your head unit and if you decide to put it on yourself don't forget to disconnect the battery! last time when i did my central locking i forgot to and while i was soldering a few wires came in contact and blew a fuse somewhere :shock:.It only costed $70 to fix but its a waste of time/money for something so simple.

Have fun stereo shopping!

Depending on if you go single or double din single din round 200-300 depending on how new the model is and double din can be 500 upwards (Seen some on sale at JB HI-FI)

You could run both but wouldn't be practical.
There's USB SD out these days buy a USB Or Iphone,Ipod,Ipad there cheap now buy one don't be stingey.
As for a cheap ish amp they can be 200-400 and go up to well over 1000 depending on what you intend to run is to watt Watts/RMS you will need.
4 speakers at least a 4 channel amp.
A good amp will make the sound a whole lot better so don't stinge out on an amp spend the extra.

Rough
-HeadUnit Double Din $500-$600-$700
-Single Din $200-300

-Wiring Kit $30-$40
-Amp $600-$700 Alpine/Pioneer(Decent) Prices have been up and down alot.
-Speakers 6x9 Pioneer (Have to check your speaker size) $120-$160
-Sub $100 + ?
-Sub box $60

To hook up a head unit you need
Ground ( - ) (To the chassis of the vehicle no to close to the stereo, And DO NOT use the stock GND)
Power ( + ) ( Is different on all Vehicles you may be able to purchase a clip that will clip on to your existing wiring harness that will tell you which wires are which (which is like jesus:D)
Accessories (So it knows when to turn off, flat battery otherwise or wont turn on at all)
AV Or audio cables ( Run to Amp )

AMP
RED/BLUE POWER CABLE TO +
- BLACK CABLE TO CAR CHASSIS
- Accessories to Accessories (Same as head unit) Will be near or next to + and - Usually
SPEAKERS TO SPEAKER CABLES ( Might have to add some speaker wire to the list )

JB Usually do Packages Same with Autobarn

Last edited:
You can get complete packages [ head unit , amp , stacker and speakers ] very cheap if you shop around . I would try for Kenwood or Pioneer . Sony are crap . Another tip ; online you can get wiring diagrams to fit almost any stereo to any car . Just Google it ;]

6 x 9s...who the hell uses those in a comp stereo...........or any set up looking for nice sound ......they are the biggest compromise in audio sound.........splits are god......tweeters ,mids and bass hooked up to massive amps with premium wires and you could have a sound4 head unit..... will kick ***.......anyway i thought we were about herps......carry on......

6 x 9s...who the hell uses those in a comp stereo...........or any set up looking for nice sound ......they are the biggest compromise in audio sound.........splits are god......tweeters ,mids and bass hooked up to massive amps with premium wires and you could have a sound4 head unit..... will kick ***.......anyway i thought we were about herps......carry on......
Youve obiously never used decent set of 6x9s, its a waste of time and money putting splits in the rear especially since the tiny woofer cone cant put a decent range of low frequencies. If it wasnt for the fact that i keep tools in the boot id use 5 inch coaxials and put a good sub in there. But hey thats my opinion and you dont have to agree

If you have an Ipod and I think you might , Alpine make some good units that the Ipod plug into so you can hide them in the glovebox ---most dont power up as well as play but these do and are fully operational from the unit!!

If your not going to occasionally pump it there is no point in spending the money on high end products.

I don't see the point in iPod connectors when you can burn a tonne of songs on to disk if you have a headunit that has MP3 compatibility. And any decent head unit will allow you to skip whole albums etc so still a lot easier to find while driving than scrolling through an iPhone or touch.
If you do decide to get a decent system pay the extra money and get a professional to tune it, a lot of people will claim it's easy to do but they are usually the same people who's systems sound like a shopping trolley going over gravel. But if you decide to do it yourself download some free frequency tests and spend the time and do it properly, don't just throw in a lady gaga CD and tune it to that one song because all the rest will sound like crud.

I used to have a nice system in my old car, the lows would make it very uncomfortable in the back seat....to the point where it felt like you were getting a very rough massage :lol:.
But if you are going to spend the money to simply listen to it like a granny than you wasting your money to be quite honest. It's like buying a porsche and only driving it up to the mailbox and back.:p

Nah, I don't have an ipod and have no interest in getting one to be honest :)

Tumble weed, I do love turning the vol up but I just dont tend to do it in suburbia or wyere it may be too annoying to others. But we live in an acreridge area and I'm always drivin on motorways/highways so the system will be used.

As far as brands go... Alpine, pioneer, kenwood, sony, kicker? From what Ive been looking at, I like the pioneer head units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back