Samsung galaxy vs iphone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One major thing that hasn't been mentioned, docks! If I changed from iPhone a lot of my audio stuff would be useless, I have docks in every room in the house and even in the car lol. If Android phones could have a universal dock I would change happily.

my galaxy s2 runs off any minnie Usb .... less messing about them a Ipod/iphone

not our car ..... our phones hook to the bluetooth in our car :p

One major thing that hasn't been mentioned, docks! If I changed from iPhone a lot of my audio stuff would be useless, I have docks in every room in the house and even in the car lol. If Android phones could have a universal dock I would change happily.

Hope you're not keen on the iPhone 5 then...

There are a range of applications now that use commands over Bluetooth to play music without touching your phone. I can hit a button on my car stereo, which activates an app so I can give it a command :) Pretty cool stuff.

Last edited:
The camera on the galaxy WAY exceeds the camera on the iPhone.

The other decent thing about the Galaxy is that I can carry multiple batteries and change them at my leisure. Iphone...you're stuck with the battery that comes with it with no way of changing it.

I forgot about docks,

Waste of money and time, of course if you already decked you house out with dock in each room get an iPhone...for everthing else there is common sense.

Car CD player: well seeing as it is illegal to use you phone at all unless parked (I'm on my p's in SA and dem the rules) I rather just remove temptation and leave my phone in my pocket and not connect it to the radio at...I have a MP3 cd player, it might no hold GB of music but it can hold bout 6 -8 hours worth of high quality mp3 if I drive longer than that I'll probably put a new cd in...oh and it does have blue tooth and a usb connector. if I hook my phone up to the usb set as mass storage I can select the songs i want to play through my cd player and not touch my phone

at home I have a my tf300 to listen to music on anywhere in the house and my 2 stereos have a 3.5 head phone jack to RCA (bout 8 bucks at dick smith) an ta da my 8 year old stereo plays music from my phone...

Having a HTC One series I also can use the HTC media link on my entertainment centre (google HTC media link cos I don't want to go into what it exactly is)

Basically back to what I said earlier iPhone for ease and less tech savvy people who want to throw their money away. and the Samsung if you don't mind keeping your cash and have you phone compatible with everything

The S3 seems to have developed an issue where the batteries are exploding close to the charging socket. Not enough cases yet to say if it's a design flaw or just a few odd occurrences that aren't statistically significant. That said, the difference between an iPhone and an android phone like the S3 is like the difference between night and day. iPhones are great for people who want a gimmicky device that'll work out of the box but never be much better than that (even when it's jailbroken) - not to mention the fantastic proprietary connector, the inability to drag/drop files or use it as mass storage, and the fact that you need iTunes installed and can only sync with one computer/install of an OS (if you format, you basically have to wipe the iPhone next time you sync, even though it's the same physical PC).

Android phone on the other hand - standard micro-USB interface, usable as mass storage, interfaces through windows explorer, no need to install any extra junk if you don't want to. When rooted and bootloader unlocked, device is capable of some amazing things. Custom ROMs are available for a variety of different purposes - some are geared for gaming, others stability, even others battery life. Easy to use and understand, far more stable (iPhones like to lock up from time to time and it's hard to get it to reboot), far more customisable. The list of advantages goes on and on. Also, Android as a platform is OPEN-SOURCE meaning that anyone can take it and modify it and develop for it - unlike Apples closed-source platform that only they can redesign. Additionally, the rules for the Google Play store (previously Android Market) are made clear and documented, whereas the rules for the Apple Store are vague and largely unknown.

My advice is go for an Android phone. You won't regret it. My starter one was an Xperia X10, I then went to an Xperia Play and have recently upgraded to a Galaxy Note. It's been awesome the entire time.

I have an iphone 4 purely because the other phones which are comparable ARE open source. People see open source as this awesome liberating thing but in actual fact the only real difference for the end user is that open source is much easier for hackers to exploit. I get annoyed that I have to worry about viruses on my computer let alone my phone.

I have an iphone 4 purely because the other phones which are comparable ARE open source. People see open source as this awesome liberating thing but in actual fact the only real difference for the end user is that open source is much easier for hackers to exploit. I get annoyed that I have to worry about viruses on my computer let alone my phone.

uh...ok. opensource does not automatically = easier to make viruses. case in point: linux is open, windows is closed. there's far more viruses for windows than linux

Personally I only use my phn for calls but it has to be bullet and waterproof . On the other hand I keep my teenage daughters in phns , I get them free on my business plans . They both had i-phones which they smashed over the next 12 mths . Then they changed to Galaxy s2 and Blackberry bold , much better phones as far as hardiness goes . My 18 yr old insists on carrying her s2 in her bra and I have seen it hit the floor 5-6 times without a scratch . Never get an i-fragile again .

uh...ok. opensource does not automatically = easier to make viruses. case in point: linux is open, windows is closed. there's far more viruses for windows than linux

True, but I think we can all agree that a non jailbroken iOS is the safest mobile operating system for the non tech savvy.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that the iPhone is the best smartphone. They all have their pros an cons and they all meet different needs.

True, but I think we can all agree that a non jailbroken iOS is the safest mobile operating system for the non tech savvy.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that the iPhone is the best smartphone. They all have their pros an cons and they all meet different needs.

That's not true at all. A non-rooted Android device would be far, far safer, partly because it's heavily based upon the Linux platform which is pretty much ironclad as far as safety and security goes. Really, the less tech-savvy you are the safer it is because a lot of the "unsafe" stuff you want to do with it, you have to be pretty cluey to do in the first place.

You make some malware to infect my out-of-the-box iPhone then and I'll make some for your out-of-the-box Android :) I dare say it would be much easier to infect Android...

You make some malware to infect my out-of-the-box iPhone then and I'll make some for your out-of-the-box Android :) I dare say it would be much easier to infect Android...

Then why hasn't it already been done?

Then why hasn't it already been done?

It has... Most collect personal info... Contact details, SMS's, emails and the like.. Some turn your Android phone into a botnet zombie or send messages to premium numbers, running up your bill or wasting your credit.

Granted must of these still require permission to install as they come in the form of Apps. Which is why I stated that iOS is the safest for the less tech savvy.

Last edited:
It has... Most collect personal info... Contact details, SMS's, emails and the like.. Some turn your Android phone into a botnet zombie or send messages to premium numbers, running up your bill or wasting your credit.

Granted must of these still require permission to install as they come in the form of Apps. Which is why I stated that iOS is the safest for the less tech savvy.

But what you've just described isn't a virus. It's also not something that can really do all that without getting permission from the user first. Sure, a lot of people don't read the permissions list but I fail to see how that makes it's a problem with the Android OS. What you've described is maybe better described as "greyware" - and there's loads of that on the Apple store.

I didn't say virus, I said malware.. Which is exactly what they are. I also acknowledged the fact that user permission was required for most of those.

It becomes a problem when the user is not very tech savvy and allows everything to run on their phone. Which I see a hell of a lot of. Hence my observation that iOS is a safer choice of mobile operating system for the less technically inclined.

Edit: It appears we have taken over this thread, konp69. We better stop before we both get into trouble with the mods ^_^

I've enjoyed our discussion, most people I talk to have no interest in these things (or any idea for that matter). Our opinions obviously differ quite a bit, but what a boring world would it be if they didn't? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back