Cheap Reptile Online Sites???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leahellem

Reaction score
Hi there was wondering if anyone knew any cheap reptile online sites like cheaper heaps cheaper lol then the shops as im wanting to set up a new tank, iv tryed petco and petsmart there alright but is there anymore good ones thanks

i will pm you the name of one NOT to use

Often you can go to the tip shop and find rubbish that keepers have thrown out. They probably eventually found that they got what they paid for and realised that cheapest is not always best!

The cheap stuff is quite often rubbish, would you really want a thermostat fail and cook your snakes. Try Herp Shop, really good value for money and good quality products. Not to mention excellent service.

I think he means cheap as in price not product. With some stores marking their products up to 500% yeah, I'd be interested in a store that isn't out to make an absolute killing

I am surprised someone hasn't seen the opportunity to corner the market by selling stuff with no markup. They could work voluntarily and subsidise any rent and costs out of their pockets. A lot of petshops are closing down so they apparently are not aware of the winning formula.

warrawong produce always have good products and good prices

You could always get stuff direct from China. BUT you may burn your house down....

I am surprised someone hasn't seen the opportunity to corner the market by selling stuff with no markup. They could work voluntarily and subsidise any rent and costs out of their pockets. A lot of petshops are closing down so they apparently are not aware of the winning formula.
I'm not saying no mark up but buying something for 90 cents and charging people 10 bucks cause thats what others sell it for is insane!

You could always get stuff direct from China. BUT you may burn your house down....

The majority of the reptile products sold in Australia are made in China !

I'm not saying no mark up but buying something for 90 cents and charging people 10 bucks cause thats what others sell it for is insane!

Think about it from a retailers point of view, Yes the item may only cost .90 cents BUT by the time you buy it pay import dutys, freight,gst, shop rent, staff wages and all the loadings (super etc),interest, insurances out of you own pocket it adds up substantially! At the end of the day there is very little left for profit.

Last edited:
like a large aus company

Think about it from a retailers point of view, Yes the item may only cost .90 cents BUT by the time you buy it pay import dutys, freight,gst, shop rent, staff wages and all the loadings (super etc), insurances out of you own pocket it adds up substantially! At the end of the day there is very little left for profit.

Ummm My parent's company DOES import from overseas and I'm incredibly proud to say that they only put 100% at the most on their items they import (that covers all the costs above and makes a profit). If you have to make a 90 cent item $10 to make ends meet you should go out of business now. Customers are buying more and more overseas to cut out the Aus suppliers because of the high prices. I see both ends of the market from the seller and buyer point of view. I can honestly tell you that as a buyer I have no loyalties to aussie buying and how could I when the sister company in Aus sells it for twice the price of the parent company in the UK INCLUDING FREIGHT. And the reason the OP wants online sites is because technically their overheads should be less due to not having a shopfront and the high prices that come with them.

Last edited:
Aussie made stuff don't work any better.

My lizards wont even eat my Aussie vet made reptile foods

the Aussie made glass enclosures always have poorly designed doors that insects / reptiles get stuck in

mark up is usually extremely excessive, a $7 cost item is usually marked up to about $30 by some of my local petshops.

a 45cm exo-terra can be up to $350...with a few fake vines/heat light and a stick and some red desert sand....

i mean any enclosure they add a stick and desert sand to goes up in value by $100 atleast

Last edited:
i have to agree, i would love to buy everything i want locally but i have found its often cheaper to buy it from overseas, not to mention postage is usually covered

in a lot of cases Aussie business's overprice their products and thus put them out of the price range of local buyers then they wonder why people wont buy from them i realise they have a lot of overhead but sheesh isnt it better to keep things lower in price then risk being run out of business totally?

Aussie bussinesses are required to use ethical and safe production technique which add cost. By by-passing Aussie business in favour of cheaper prices you are endorsing non ethical production practices such as child labour, environmental disregard and unsafe work places. What price do you put on ethics?

it's not the ethics I'm buying. I'm buying product x, product x is available in australia for $40, not including postage to my door. I can buy product x in the uk (same brand, make, box and model) for $25 INCLUDING freight to my door. Its the same product, same ethics and morals and producer. Which one are you really going to buy? REALLY! be honest. sorry aussie store and hello UK!

I think that there is more for us to lose in turning our backs on traditional retailers than there is to gain. Sure you get a short term bargain by purchasing online or from overseas but can you get all of your reptile needs that way? Most online sellers do not sell or ship enclosures, fluro light tubes, live foods, rodents etc and if you local store does not receive any support for reptile products then they will likely replace that shelf space with more productive products from their point of view. I am not suggesting that we all blindly pay top dollar when we dont have to but it may be beneficial to us all to support local bricks and mortar stores on sale items and products where their prices compare well to what is available locally online as they are never going to be able to get close to what is available overseas.

Another biggie is returns. If you buy something from your local shop and have a problem with it you can take it back at your expense quite easily but can you imagine the shipping costs of getting that item back to the seller in the UK or China considering Australia Posts excessive postage rates - you could be looking at $50-70 in postage alone! That is assuming that the seller accepts returns at all as once you purchase outside of Australia you have no consumer protection nor will your insurance company help you if there is a problem resulting from the product you bought.

While the Australian dollar is quite strong it can be quite cheap to buy from overseas but should that change and there are no stores left in Australia selling reptile products then you could find that you have dug your own grave and end up paying an absolute premium and waiting weeks for items that are no longer available locally. That is a scenario that many long time herpers will recognise as that is the way it used to be!!

As recently as two years ago I believe that a lot of shops did charge too much for reptile products and this is one of the reasons that so many online sellers were able to establish but I find that many shops are now coming more price competitive. It would be pretty rare for a bricks and mortar shop to beat an online price but I would hate to see a return to the 'bad old days' when pet stores had no reptile products but that is exactly what will happen if nobody shops there.

I have spoken with lots of pet shop owners about why their reptile products were so expensive and most would reply that they did not sell much of them so had a high price to make the shelf space worthwhile. I always thought it would have been better to have lowered the product prices and perhaps that would have encouraged more sales and with the competition from online sellers locally I think many stores have realised that. Why not pop into your local reptile store and see what bargains you can pick up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back