No Name Creek (first look)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So, I have been looking at this creek on maps for 25 years but have never been able to reach it. It is on a large escarpment with the nearest track 10km away. We have bashed up onto the escarpment before but could not penetrate the stone country that surrounds it.

Thanks to updated imagery on Google Earth, and GPS waypoints my mate found a way in two weeks ago. Last week I sent him back with the old waterproof Olympus click and shoot and these are the results. So far only 2 of the 20km of creek explored. Lots of very old art sites and no sign of anyone having been there for a century or more. (Possibly no white fellas ever).

He reports plenty of large monitors, king browns, western browns and olives. Only one cane toad. Prolific bird life and the pools are full of fat Sooty Grunters that climb over eachother to grab a lure.
He reckons there are small to massive snake skins all over the place (not sure what they are though.)

I'm looking at taking the rest of this week off to properly explore the whole system and document it with the D90.

P6260002_edited-1.jpg
P6260003_edited-1.jpg
P6260004_edited-1.jpg

A lot of our "secret spots" have been discovered by clowns who post the locations and directions online and they are now full of beer bottles, nappies and idiots with no respect for what they are looking at. My mate reckons this is the clearest water he has ever seen.

P6260006_edited-1.jpg
P6260005_edited-1.jpg
P6260011_edited-1.jpg

This area is a wildlife refuge with these permanent springs. To the east is granite country and to the west limestone and neither have accessible water in the Dry season. The creek is on a pastoral lease but there are no cattle (or other ferals) up on the escarpment. Fires are also very rare in this environment.

P6260012_edited-1.jpg
P6260013_edited-1.jpg
P6260014_edited-1.jpg

I'm looking forward to exploring this system (and 5 feeder creeks) and will post pics when I return.
We are lucky to still have untouched places like this in the Top End and my mate has raked over his tracks and dropped logs on the access points. Hopefully we can keep the spot secret for a decade or two!

P6260017_edited-1.jpg
P6260018_edited-1.jpg

I cant wait to get into old No Name Creek. Looks like the 25 year wait will be worth it!

that water does look really clear
i didnt think such thing existed anymore these days

Magic spot. Given the isolation, there wouldn't salties in there?

Don't ever share its location with anyone! It's absolutely stunning.

No salties. The sequence of waterfalls blocks them. They will climb rapids but not vertical waterfalls.

With luck there maybe dwarf freshies. They used to occur in creeks north and south in the same rock formation but they disappeared when the toads arrived. Fingers crossed they might have held out here.

I've already spotted one aquatic plant in one photo that is unfamiliar. There are cherubin, turtles and freshwater crabs but my mate is not much of a biologist. This is why I am so excited. Last time we surveyed one of these creeks we found an undescribed grasshopper and a uperolia frog never recorded outside Kakadu (hundreds of kilometers away).

And yes Newtoo, a very tasty fish the old sooty grunter (black bream). Best freshwater fish up here. Better than freshwater barra! Some of the bigger giant gudgeons are excellent on the fang too!

Last edited:
Cool pics so nice to see heaven here on Earth

May you always be "Guardian of the Creek"

Cheers
Sandee :)

Looks great! It should have all the ingredients for the next uranium mine. Pristine water, remote location away from prying eyes and untouched wilderness, good find.

Great pics Steve looks like a great spot, it reminds me of being in Arnhem Land.

The biggest threat to this and nearby creeks is Parks and Wildlife declaring it a Park and pushing roads in for anyone to enter. They do this with no cultural or ecological surveys and unresourced Rangers. With no baseline data things disappear without ever being noticed. It was tried on a creek north of here that was my secret spot for 10 years but I fought it vigorously and they had no resources to manage it anyway, so the project was shelved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back