Albino Darwin and UV light?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think uv produced much heat. She is still very cold and cranky. We don't have a thermostat atm so we don't know her temps. Do lamps use alot of electricity though?

Get a thermometer asap and a thermostat. Connect it to a heat mat.
If you need more heat then get a basking lamp

I think Albino's need to be kept at 30-32 degree's. I doubt she is any where near this. So I will buy a thermostat and thermometer today and check temperatures then. I have been told not to run a UV light all day and night as they need darkness, but I just want to make sure she isn't going to get too cold at night, that's why I assuming maybe a heat lamp will be less hassle.

she will be fine at night. No need for night light to provide heat. Just give a heatmat and run it 24-7. Then the snake can use the ambient light in the room to determine day and night and have a nice warm place she can go when she needs.

I have a heat rock for her on the floor, but she loves to climb so she doesn't use it much, she prefers to hang out up the top. That's why I thought running a heat lamp 24-7 might be a better option? What do you think?

i guess its up to you but theres this thing pythons do called Stargazing.....happens when a python stares at the UV and they loose muscle tone and croak!.....theres a guy on here who lost his python last week to stargazing...RIP BB

Thanks for all oyur help. I am definitely going with a heat lamp then. I love my python too much for any thing bad to happen, not worth the risk.

i guess its up to you but theres this thing pythons do called Stargazing.....happens when a python stares at the UV and they loose muscle tone and croak!.....theres a guy on here who lost his python last week to stargazing...RIP BB

Please don't give people information that is wrong, stargazing has zero to do with staring at UV. Having said that, UV does not emit very much heat. If you have a tall enclosure and the snake favours the top, a heat light or ceramic heat emitter may be better. Heat rocks are definitely not a good choice as they often develop hot spots.

Please don't give people information that is wrong, stargazing has zero to do with staring at UV. Having said that, UV does not emit very much heat. If you have a tall enclosure and the snake favours the top, a heat light or ceramic heat emitter may be better. Heat rocks are definitely not a good choice as they often develop hot spots.
not what i was told!!!

Stargazing has nothing to do with UV or looking at UV lights.

not what i was told!!!
Who told you? Any proof? This is one issue with forums miss information can be taken as fact.

Thanks for your help guys. I got her a heat lamp last night with a thermostat, it's starting to heat up now and working well. She seems much happier and active already. This forum has helped heaps.

Thanks for your help guys. I got her a heat lamp last night with a thermostat, it's starting to heat up now and working well. She seems much happier and active already. This forum has helped heaps.
if the lamp is used inside the enclosure make sure the heat lamp is in a heat/light cage , otherwise the snake will get burnt .

if the lamp is used inside the enclosure make sure the heat lamp is in a heat/light cage , otherwise the snake will get burnt .

Yeh it is inside the enclosure but right up the top on top of the mesh, so it can't burn her, she can get close enough to get warmer but not enough to get burnt. I have learnt so much these last few days on them. Very interesting creatures.

Did you get a thermometer so you can check temps and set them correctly?

I despair sometimes....zombies being hijacked by nutbags

Be sure to get a thermometer as Ramsayi suggests. Often the probe on the thermostat doesn't give a true representation of the heat. I like to get an average of the probe and the thermometer.

Yeh it is inside the enclosure but right up the top on top of the mesh, so it can't burn her, she can get close enough to get warmer but not enough to get burnt. I have learnt so much these last few days on them. Very interesting creatures.
im a little confused , can she at any point come in direct contact with the globe ? and don't think that its out of her reach just because its up high , if it is un protected get a cage for it asap , ive seen my snakes leaning up against their enclosure wall and they can get quiet high doing it , ive seen them get almost to 10 cm or so before their clouca before they fall ,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back