First attempt at DIY background

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defective

~ Yoda (2008-2020), you loved me more than life!!
Reaction score
Ok so i decided to do a background for keiko's enclosure...first attempt ever...

this is what it looks like so far...long way to go so any advice re painting sealing use of expandafoam...much appreciated.

205251_10151049834599740_2000153392_a.jpg

307083_10151049835309740_1248468684_n.jpg

I've just attempted my first background also. I used styrene foam like you and coated with liquid sandstone. I painted any bits I wanted to darken in black before the sandstone went on. Also don't be silly like me and try contact adhesive to glue the foam.... it won't end well lol.

I have one question.... what's in the bowl?

lol cat biscuits....i used that as a weight for the PVA

for mine i used liquid nails to glue the bits i wanted for ledges to the base of the foam sheeting, then used the expanda foam to create tree stalks then sanded it back to shape it then i used spak filler to close all the gaps up and then gave it two coats with pondtite i used the sand colour one and then just used the stuff to change the pondtite to the colour to what i wanted works a treat very waterproof looks awesome.

Have you thought about adding some support under the ledge? A couple more chunks (progressively smaller) glued under it will help support it and give it some shape.

To shape it use a knife to do most of the work and sand the rest. Running a flame from a lighter quickly! over it after that will give it a good deformed look like rock. It also hardens the foam a bit too. Practice on a spare bit first and do it out side.

seemingas though i have not a clue as to where i can get grout oxide in adelaide....could i use white grout and just paint with acrylic paint then do a few coats of waterproof sealer??

Bunnings heven.

Grouts + Oxides + Render + Bondcrete.

Remember not all polystyreres are created equal. Fruit and veg boxes are dence but hard to work.

Contact the loading dock at your local department store (Target etc) they will be happy to put asside some polystyrene for you, (especially if you tell them you are maling a modle of Ularu for a school project).

Then farmiliarise yourself with a Little Devil heat gun, (again from Bunnings, in the tools section), a lillte flame thrower that uses a cigaret lighter.

There that should get you started, (but check out the DIY section on here).

Cheers Tinky...

Little butane pen torches (hardware store, my local $2 shop even has them) are great tools too, might be worth look at. Great job so far Defective, keep us posted

ok update....the above pictures got scrapped when i was given much more durable foam that didn't crumble when you looked at it. NOTE: the tree bits are only there so i have an idea as to where they will go they will be removed before i put expandafoam on....
562860_10151064805319740_1752181903_n.jpg

255351_10151064805644740_1491045483_n.jpg

548825_10151064805774740_1083444777_n.jpg

hoping to put the expanda foam on today and the acrylic render on wednesday then the sealer on over the weekend and finally pop it in the enclosure....not sure how i'll attach it to the glass though ...velcro???

Looking good so far. I haven't done one for a glass enclosure to find out how to attach it so I'll also be interested to see what people have found successful. I did a 4 thin coats of render on mine with a day to dry for each before I painted and let that dry. Two coats of sealer with 6hrs drying in between. I wish I had done the render a bit thicker or even more coats to make it more sturdy but that's entirely up to you how much you use.

Stage 2...the expanda foam!.....i also bought an IR light yesterday so yoda now has his basking light back....
hope this is helping any first time DIY'ers

282311_10151067018169740_1273936728_n.jpg

stage 3...THE GROUT!!!! i chose a greyish colour and this is after 2 coats....drying completely between coats! i did a rough paint job with acrylic paint prior to applying the grout

425064_10151078180489740_1511814874_n.jpg

Looking good for a first attempt :) well done. You've obviously been reading through the DIY section and picking brains along the way.

A couple of things I'll comment on that may help.....

because you've got the hide attatched to tha background, dont permanantly attatch the background to the tank, there will be a time when you need to clean inside the hide, and the only way i can see you doing that is to remove the whole thing, plus being a stimmie he'll find the smallest hole that you've missed and get behind the background.

do several layers of progressively thicker grout and leave the colouring (oxide or el cheapo acrylic paint) until the last two layers. in the mean time lay the background on its 'back' so the grout will flow into some of the deeper crevices in the background and make it look more natural, plus there will be no deep crevices for your mate to make a mess in and make cleaning a challenge ! :)

you sound like your giving it plenty of time to dry properly between coats - not easy in adelaide at the moment with all the rain, but take the time to make sure it is totally dry before your next coat, you dont want trapped moisture between the layers!

keep up the good work.

yeah....definitely been reading the DIY thread and i must say....the reading of threads and websites makes it seem so much harder than it actually is....i also decided not to attach it to the enclosure as it sits nicely.....i'll keep those ideas in mind ..thanks Jax! should have completed it by saturday....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back