help needed for my bhp.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendra

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,i was wondering if someone could help me understand what my bhp is doing.. i got him out of his house just before and put him down to crawl around i have noticed when he is just laying there he has his head up in the air and has hos mouth open.. are they meant to do this when noving around he is fine.. if anyone could help me and tell me if he is sick or if they so that.. sk i know if i need to get him to the vet asap. thanks kendra

It could be a symptom of respiratory infection, that's one of the signs (can't breathe well so they tilt their head up), can you hear loud breathing/wheezing? look up ri on here/internet

It may be part of his bluff threat but could also be something else. When you hold him by the head stroke under his chin and listen for any wheezing or obstruction when he is breathing.

Oh and check for bubbles!! If you look at the gums and there's spit bubbles that's another sign. If no wheezing I'd just monitor it.

Oh and check for bubbles!! If you look at the gums and there's spit bubbles that's another sign. If no wheezing I'd just monitor it.

If you have bubbles you have got some major problems and opportunity for intervention has probably gone.

If you have bubbles you have got some major problems and opportunity for intervention has probably gone.

Oh come now. There's a guy on here whose had it to that stage and his snake is fine. Sorry can't remember the thread but let's not scare the girl.
But yes it would mean it was a wee bit advanced...

Has he just eaten? He may be re-aligning his jaw?

thanks guys for the feedback..He hasnt eaten since last time i fed him. i have checked him for wheezing and he is fine there are no bubbles in his mouth.. but will keep a eye on him and if he starts to act weird i will take him to the vet...

thanks guys for the feedback..He hasnt eaten since last time i fed him. i have checked him for wheezing and he is fine there are no bubbles in his mouth.. but will keep a eye on him and if he starts to act weird i will take him to the vet...

:rolleyes:lol

My girl yawns, not sure if that is what you are meaning, she does an actual yawn though, doesnt hold her mouth open for long. Can you please let us know more specific details, like the date he last fed? What exactly is he doing, what do you think he may be doing, etc? Also can you hear weezing, see bubbles etc?

My BHP used to hold his head in an elevated position with his mouth open as threat gesture.

Limited information supplied, if the snake apears healthy, there may be nothing wrong with it at all.
Sometimes BHPs show agression by holding thier heads up with mouth open as a threat & are all full of bluff. Sometimes even with a loud hissing sound & widened throat or neck, this is normal behavuor for a BHP that may have just been upset.
If this is constant as you are watching it could be something else like RI. But if just a threat display will normally behave normal after a minute or so.

Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back