Beardie troubles help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little_Foot

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I recently got given a 3year old female central bearded dragon. The previous owners didn't want her as she has some sort of tongue deformity and is unable to feed on her own. How can I try and help her put on weight as she is very underweight. She only eats limited food has it seems to much of a strain for her to eat? I force feed her baby mice and sometimes crickets but it is extremely difficult doing so without hurting her....I often put vitimin powder and calcium powder in water for her and she likes to drink that. Can anyone give me tips on feeding her and how she could put on more fat and muscle ?

I wonder if a pinky pump filled with a slurry of crushed crickets, water and vits and calcium would work? Maybe even a bird feeding syringe?

how did she live for 3 years if they don't want to help?have you tried commercial baby food or pureed some of your own??????just an idea

The original owners just didn't have the time or effort anymore. But thanks guys great ideas I'll give them a go :)

cricket, vegie, vitamin and calicum smoothie maybe? can it drink on its own?

can you please tell us about the dragons previous set up and your current set up.
Ie: temps, basking temps, uvb type, how far it is away from the dragon, hides, substrate, size of enclosure, do you have thermometer etc.

umm.... the problem with the lizard is that is has a little white thing on its mouth and it cant grab onto crickets when it goes for them and the temp is 35-40 temp( thats the whole tank) the tank is 3 foot i have a 5 bank enclosure
i dont have a thermo yet

You need a basking spot of 40-43, a warm end of 30-35 and a cool end of 24-28 not a total tank temp of 35-40. Heat stress can kill a beardie as quick as and if this one is under weight and malnourished it will not last too long if it can not escape the heat

do you have uvb light? He will need one of those asap make sure it is a rating of 10.0

If you want to increase appetite, higher heat is the answer and it will also give the lizard an extra boost. Buy one of those cheap $2.00 digital thermos from ebay. Create a hot basking spot at one end of the enclosure which allows for a warm end and a cool end.

I would also change from crickets to woodies. My dragon will only eat one or two crickets but gets excited about woodies. Also Woodies live a lot longer than crickets (up to a year or so) which means they have higher fat content which your lizard will benefit from. I also recommend feeding your lizard in a plastic tub where the 'food' cant escape and become difficult to capture. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back