Hey everyone! I'm new and need some advice on handling Monsieur Fang, my Stimmy...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MonsieurFang

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am the proud owner of Monsieur Fang, a super friendly Stimson python.

He's 2 years old and he handles well. My only problem is that I haven't taken him out of his enclosure myself and need some pointers.

His hiding cave is pretty massive but it's what he's used to (I purchased the enclosure he's been in for the last 18 months). Trouble is I can't hold his hiding cave properly (can't get a good grip, my hands are tiny!) and dropped it in the cage twice. I don't want to unnecessarily stress the poor boy out, which I'm afraid I have done already.
I've confidently handled pythons in the past but never taken them out of their enclosures, so I'm also a tad nervous about it (hurting him, scaring him, freaking him out, getting bitten - you know, the usual beginner worries).

Does anyone have any tips?
Am I right in guessing that I just need to do it t build my confidence?

Here's a pic of his enclosure

Monsieur fang enclosure.jpg

And Monsieur Fang next to his hide

Monsieur Fang.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Anni & Monsieur Fang

If the hide is a problem, just wait till you see him out then go for it. It's one those things where you just gotta do it, don't think just do. Once you do it you'll be like "Wow, that wasn't such a big deal".

Grab the hide with both hands for a start...
I have to hold one of my hides with both hands due to the size of it.

Your snake will either a) be holding onto the sides of the hide, or B) be resting on the floor.

From there, if you haven't done it before, I'd do more of a scoop (pick him up from the bottom) rather than on top until he gets used to it.

Most snakes like a sleep during the day and become more active around dusk and early evening. This is when they like to come out of their hides and have a run around.

How long have you had Monsieur Fang?

The real issue of course is - will you get tagged (because that's the worst that can happen) - well, I can tell you now it doesn't hurt (much) to be tagged by a Stimmie but it can give you one hell of a fright!

But as Khagan said, you're best to wait till M. Fang is out and about and doing his thing - then ease on in... Don't make the mistake of waggling your little finger at him like I did to my fellow - just to prove he wouldn't bite me.... Well, that was an experiment that never needed repeating!

Thanks guys!

So I just went in, lifted the hide with both hands (still pretty difficult - no grip on that thing.... maybe I should get a smaller one?) and even though I did it slowly, I managed to scare Monsieur Fang. His neck in the S bend sort of made me crap my pants a little, so when he relaxed I put the hide back in. Didn't pick him up. M. Fang - 3, Anni - 0.

He's resting on a rock under the heat lamp now but I think I'll wait till my mate (who's also knows this little fella) comes over in a few days.

I've had him about 4 days and the night I got him, I held him for about 45mins. In the end, he just curled up in my hood and chillaxed.

Thanks again!

Anni

Slim6y:
Ha!! Point taken! :)

when i first got my dimond out he was about 50cm and was bitting anything that moved so i took his hide out of the enclosure and just gently scooped him up he bit me a few times but after i got used to the strikes and headbuts it was easy, but because Monsier Fang is alot bigger he should bite (as much) and the bites dont hurt. just get comfortable around him and just remember when your holding him to support all of his body weight and also dont pick him up after a feed i usually wait a few days. good luck :)

I think it's the whole be dominant over your pet thing. They bite you just ignore it until they get used to you.
My python used to fight/run when I'd pull her out but now all I have to do is open her tank and she'll come out. But it took a lot of persistence and I never let her get away with trying not to come out. Stressful for them the first few times until they realise you aren't out to hurt them.
Goodluck. And remember even kittens bite.

Buy or make a snake hook, use it to get the snake out of the enclosure and then place him in your hands.

Don't move on to picking the snake up free hand until both you and your python are comfortable with the practice.

All new keepers are a little hesitant at first but after time you will both learn from each other.

Take it slow and only progress once you feel ready.

Id suggest a smaller hide (maybe a couple rather than just the one, having one each end)... it will help both of you most likely. The little guy wont hurt when (if) you get tagged. Its all the shock factor. Just dont pull away if it does. You will do him more damage than you. And confidence is everything.

Good luck! Gotta love Stimmies!!!!

just grab the hide with both hands? But anyways, Welcome to aps, Have fun, Enjoy the endless flow of information that is here, Good Luck With Your Hide Problem :D

snake hook 100% thats why they were invented. when u take the hide off keep it infront of his head while u take it out so that if he does try and bite the cave is in the way. after that use a snake hook to gradually get him out. some snakes will be cage defensive but as soon as u take them out there perfect little angels. its best if u do it now and get it over and done with then to wait cause then he will never break out of this habbit of striking you. good lucl.

heres a tip never feed him in his enclosure otherwise he mite become very cage agressive and strike at anything thats in his teritory

heres a tip never feed him in his enclosure otherwise he mite become very cage agressive and strike at anything thats in his teritory
Sorry, but that's just not true.

I have always fed all of my snakes in their enclosures. Some have always had a nasty disposition while others will allow me to pick them straight up without so much as warning them of my presence.

You guys and girls are freaking awesome!!

Thank you so much for your advice! It all helps! Will keep you posted on my progress :)

Anni

I have always fed all of my snakes in their enclosures. Some have always had a nasty disposition while others will allow me to pick them straight up without so much as warning them of my presence.

I have had 7 snakes in my like 4 of them im feed in their enclosure and they became agressive when ever i put something in there or tried to pick them up my last 3 snakes i havnt fed in their enclosure and are perfecly fine with me moving stuff arround in their enclosure and picking them up.

I have had 7 snakes in my like 4 of them im feed in their enclosure and they became agressive when ever i put something in there or tried to pick them up my last 3 snakes i havnt fed in their enclosure and are perfecly fine with me moving stuff arround in their enclosure and picking them up.

I've had well over 100.
Enough said.

+1

I may not have been doing the snake thing for as long as everyone else but I feed all three of my snakes in their enclosures and they are fine. My oldest has always been fed in her enclosure and is right to be picked up straight away without so much as a warning nudge from her.

Best tip ever!!!
(at least for a beginner)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had well over 100.
Enough said.

The breeder/keeper who also advised me against it, has 1500 odd snakes!
Enough said.

(He also frequently writes articles for national journals and other herp print material...)

Not that the number of snakes you own makes a difference here, as every one has a different personality.

But a beginner is less likely to be tagged following these simple rules:
Don't feed in its cage, use a hook to get him out of the cage.
(extendable ones are only 10 bucks and work a treat!!!)
And wash your hands with a (nice) smelly soap prior to handling to avoid mistakes of identity.

P.S. my son says the bite of our Woma "didn't hurt at all". - I tend to believe him, cause he doesn't really cope with pain at the age of 5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've had well over 100.
Enough said.

every snake and owner will have their own opinion about this but it makes sence to me so i do it, the idea that if you feed your snake inside its cage, that it will develop an association with your opening the door with feeding and this will result in an increased possibility of the keeper experiencing a bite when reaching their hand inside the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back