Is an Olive Python suitable?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Python-Lover4lyf

Reaction score
Hey Guys just wondering if you's think it's suitable for me to own an olive python (with me raising it from a hatchling). I'm 13, I've owned a spotted for over a year now, a bredli (juvie) for roughly 3 and a half months and I've grown up with large pythons (dad had 22 large snakes that I've handled from the age of two) and I'm just considering getting an olive between late this year and late next year when I've saved up the money. I like their appearance, love large pythons, have the room and can afford to feed it. And I don't know if it makes a difference but everyone else I live with although doesn't mind me having snakes will not help me with them if they are in the least bit snappy. However I'm unsure of their temperament. I know they have an extremely aggressive feeding response but in general are they usually gentle giants or psychotic spastics? lol And by the way as I do with every animal before i get it I plan on doing a tonne of research on them beforehand.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
I own 3 and all are gentle giants, im sure there is the exception though. My girlfriend who actually hates snakes "tolerates" these due to there inquisitive nature and gentle personalities.
They do grow very quickly and eat lots. Only negative for me is there large size, although i guess thats what make them gentle giants.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

IMO snakes the size of adult olives really need a 2nd person there in case things go haywire, I can imagine one wrapping a teenager up quite easily

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies and I want everyone to bare in mind that when it is big enough to do some damage I will make sure to have someone (who's not scared of large pythons) supervise just in case :)

Oh ok, you made it sound like you wouldnt have that help in your original post.
So will this person be living in the same house?

Yeah sorry about that. I do understand the risk with handling a large python without supervision and yes.

IMO snakes the size of adult olives really need a 2nd person there in case things go haywire, I can imagine one wrapping teenager up quite easily

Good point mate, sorry should have mentioned that. Also A small bottle of listerine should always be within arms reach.

yeah weren't you selling the spotted tho? in one of your older posts?

Mike2693 - Thanks will keep that in mind :)

Manda1032 - I ended up growing a pair (not literally) and tamed it down haha I should of put in a bit more time to start with but I wasn't confident.

chilli-mudcrab - Thanks for your input if you guys think it's definitely not a good idea, I was going to get a woma. It's just that I like the look of olives (plain but imo gorgeous) and I enjoy the large species of pythons and have built my confidence so it seemed reasonable to me but yeah I understand what you mean.

Thanks guys ;)

I love my womas, very gently, placid and interested in what's going on.... Except at feeding time when they go food crazy.
Even my fiancé who was happy to have snakes around but wasn't keen on holding them is now fine with all my pythons thanks to the womas.
Just my 2 cents. Well better say 5 cents these days as 2 gets rounded down.

If you are inexperienced with large pythons, and an olive python goes into feed mode and constricts your arms or neck, you could be in a lot of trouble - especially if you have no one there to help you. Years ago I was nearly suffocated by a 2 metre coastal carpet python that wrapped around my neck. I was seconds away from blacking out and hitting the deck, when a friend quickly helped unwrap it.

Last edited:
I agree that olives are just absolutely gorgeous snakes, but I also agree that you should probably hold off on one until you're a bit older and thus bigger. The strength in those things is incredible!

Thanks guys lol not what I wanted to hear but I understand where you guys are all coming from. Thanks for taking your time to post and caring :).

p.s serpenttoungue, i mentioned in the original post that I have a fair bit of experience with large pythons growing up with them and handling them from about the age of 2 (when I got my first proper bite :)) - 9 years old and do have my 16 year-old brother here to help out if anything goes wrong and would get a hatchie so it's small(ish) for a year or so in which I would have a bit more experience and confidence with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back