Varanus glauerti

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mummabear

Reaction score
I received my two very exciting new additions yesterday. Two six month old Varanus glauerti. I purchased them from Reptile City in SA. Just a few quick snaps to show them off. I could only get shots of 1 as the other was nestled tightly into a crevice. Will get more shots once settled in.
These are the Arnhem Land form, which are smaller and with the red bands. My understanding is they are soon to be named a new species.

672A6357.jpg672A6310.jpg

Nice monitors I got some from the same clutch sent up from Jason 2 months ago they are absolutely mesmerizing to look at and watch one of mine is dog tame and will crawl onto and sit on my hand. I will never forget the feeling I got when I saw them in the flesh for the first time cheers

Last edited:
Here is the other one. I wish i could take a good photo.

672A6378.jpg

I think the Arnhem land ones only grow to about 50cm in total length and the Kimberley ones grow to about 70cm. Their tails are about 2/3 of their total body length.

Are they feeding well for you yet mine took a couple of days to settle in their hunting style is awesom they can certainly move quick when they want something. Could you put up a pic of their enclosure that rock looks awesom also what substrate are you using? cheers mark

Last edited:
I didn't realise there was a smaller form, these guys are definitely on my must have list. Hopefully they become more common in captivity here like they are in the rest of the world.

I think the Arnhem land ones only grow to about 50cm in total length and the Kimberley ones grow to about 70cm. Their tails are about 2/3 of their total body length.

These are the Arnhem Land form, which are smaller and with the red bands. My understanding is they are soon to be named a new species.

Unfortunately these are not the Arnhem land ones. Those have more of a bluish tinge to them. These are just a redish form of the ones Gavin caught at bullio station near the WA / NT border.

The three pops of glauerti have been threatened to be named for over ten yrs now. When someone starts looking at some of these small monitor groups they will be able to name quite a few species

Wouldn't be surprised Scott. I have two different forms of 'V. gilleni' and the differences between them are huge. The markings, head shape and even the length of the tail relative to body size are very different.

good luck with them......only 4 days ago, i put my 2 youngest ones to gether for the very first time.they were 2 months old when i bought them, now 2 and 1 half years old..they are big, strong, beautiful..., but mine are only the common, everyday type of V. glauteri

good luck with them......only 4 days ago, i put my 2 youngest ones to gether for the very first time.they were 2 months old when i bought them, now 2 and 1 half years old..they are big, strong, beautiful..., but mine are only the common, everyday type of V. glauteri
Have you managed to breed any of these common everyday type of glauerti before sesa or is this your first time at breeding them? From what I have read husbandry of these monitors is fairly straight forward but problems seem to arise when breeding starts. I have my two together they seem to get along well I may separate when they get older as my monitor breeding experience is nil I would hate lose one through a breeding mishap

Have you managed to breed any of these common everyday type of glauerti before sesa or is this your first time at breeding them? From what I have read husbandry of these monitors is fairly straight forward but problems seem to arise when breeding starts. I have my two together they seem to get along well I may separate when they get older as my monitor breeding experience is nil I would hate lose one through a breeding mishap
MRKOS no.! have not bred this species before..when I put them together the other day, there was about 1 hour of Surprise!! Surprise!!!!!!!! then they have settled down to a hum-drum existance...certainly no sign of aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back