cat problem - need help :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also you may need to 'pre bait'. That is feed the cat for a number of nights, then set trap with a little bait just out side door.

You also have to possibly worry about your injuries the cat inflicted,one of the women at my work has had 2 weeks off already over her own cat.It was caught and she was helping it escape it got scared,scratched and bit her,her arm and hand got infected badly.

I think shalanger's idea sounds (by far) the best. It's gotta be worth a try.

I completely sympathize with you about the council not helping you... We used to have a flock of sheep, until someone's dogs got into the paddock - we were told tough bikkies too. Doesn't seem right. It's still your property/pets and it is still a loss to you because of someones irresponsibility.

Please don't try the aspirin or panadol. This is an terrible death for anyone. I've seen it happen, it's not nice.

And why discredit the whole of Jeannine's thread because she missed one sentence? It sounds like she read the bulk of it to me... Get off your high horses.

can u turn the mouse/pig cages into something that would trap it?
or maybe make that the entry so it ends up waling into the trap?

im not into long painful dealths, but problem cats really do need to be removed.
(or kept in the house which this one obviously isnt)

im not far off collecting the crap from my yard, blending it up with some water and returning it to the owners letterbox,.....

take a picture of the cat then walk around your neighbourhood knocking on peoples door saying if they know who owns this cat if no one owns up try luring it in under your house then when it's in wrap wire around the bottom of the house the have 1 small hole that it can get out and have a cage in that gap then it gets caught but try and find out who's cat it is first before you do anything hurtful to it because you wouldn't like it if your snake escaped and someone poisoned it with out trying to catch it first then tracking down the owner.

Maybe something like this?? :p

[video=youtube;uIbkLjjlMV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8[/video]

But seriously, Im very sorry for your loss, and I wish I could help, but Im not too knowledgable in this area... :?

Last edited:
I live in a rental house, I have no shed, my animals are kept in an area under the house that is fenced off with 6ft fencing to keep my dogs from going near them. The fencing around the house is not cat proof and I have approached the landlord a number of times about the fencing, but he isn't interested in changing it. The underneath of my house enclosed, but there are multiple places (eg the car gate) that have holes large enough to get through if your a cat that can squeeze, have also approached the landlord about this, he doesn't want any meshing or additional fencing added. So there is nothing I can do about the structure of the place. I have sprayed the whole place with vinegar, multiple times. And I have my animals in secure cages, I had to go out and spend over $300 dollars buying all new cages. I have tried citronella in a spray bottle, vinegar in a spray bottle, and numerous other things that people have suggested. In the traps I have tried cheese, every type of cat food known to man, raw meat, chicken bits, dead mice etc etc etc. It just keeps trying to attack the animals through the cages. I have a dog, but she will not chase it because I trained her not to when i first got her.

Also before anyone else has a go at me, I'm not going to kill the dam thing. I just want it off my property. I would also like if the owners would compensate me for my lose, but I doubt that will ever happen. Atm I'm just trying to keep it off my property and away from my animals. I would love to catch the dam thing and give it to the RSPCA, but I'm having no luck. I have door knocked trying to find out where it lives, I have had no luck. I live in a suburban area, so in all reality it could be coming from anywhere.

I am furious with it and its irresponsible owners, but unless it got bitten harder than I thought from my dog then its still happily out their murdering everything.

I have had to send all my pets away at this stage, just to keep them safe... I will be setting traps in the garden, and putting dirt on the wire like people suggested. and I guess just trying chicken and meat and stuff to see if I can get it to go into the trap. I can only borrow the cage for a couple of days at a time, which makes it hard, but I guess thats the only thing I can keep trying at this stage... Thanks everyone for your suggestions...

Last edited:
I sympathise with you all the way.

My solution was to buy a bird avairy and put my small animal cages inside on racks and always keep the doors locked.

The b......ds still come in an traumatise my rat colonies but they cannot get them

Cheers
Sandee :)

we have cat (bad neighbour) problems. and we have caught 2 so far and gunning for the third. its safer for the cats if we catch them as the dog could and would kill them. they love sardines. dont no why they just do.

I can sympathise with you Ash1990, but no amount of asprin, iboprofin, antifreeze or ratsack kills a cat. I have tried... for years with no luck. All you can do is fully enclose under your house and build secure shelter for your animals. It's the only way you will stop it from getting to your animals and protect them. I have tried all baits in traps even concealing them. I have tried ALL manner of poison and sling shots. Short of a gun you will never get rid of it. Protect your animals and continue to try to catch it, I hope your lucky in getting it. Wish I killed the bugger that killed my Scarlet chested parrots. And I know about the mice, I use to have heaps of white tigers too.... bloody crows got to mine :(
I lived in a high set and used chicken wire and zip ties, if thats any help

oh and no one will ever own up to owning it... even if it's sitting in their house! been there too

I'm also pretty sure the above video is outdated. I'm sure you can buy sensor operated water shooing devices from places like bunnings

Last edited:
What does the aspirin actually do to make it a slow painful death?
Aspirin Poisoning in Cats - Symptoms & Treatment of Aspirin Toxicosis | Cat Health Collection

Also you may need to 'pre bait'. That is feed the cat for a number of nights, then set trap with a little bait just out side door.
My advice as well. Start feeding the cat near the trap or trapping point. After the pre bait is taken two or three times then try baiting the trap

All you can do is fully enclose under your house and build secure shelter for your animals.
My rats are under the house. When I set it up I assumed I would get cats, monitors and pythons in the "rat cave" and built accordingly. At the moment I'm having a plague of pythons in there but it is a problem I can cope with. Also we now have a shortage of local cats but that has nothing to do with me

Wish I killed the bugger that killed my Scarlet chested parrots.
I love those neophemas - had then when I was a kid - one of my favourite parrots.

Really the only legal thing to do is trap - council, if the cat isn't picked up it soon becomes an ex cat.

Really Fuscus, I remember I called the police station in Townsville to see if they had the ranger's number... they told me to just kill the cat. They retracted their statement when I said "mate.... we're Army" (If anyone remembers the Townsville 10FSB and kitten killing thing in 2005) Neophemas are the best, he was only protecting his girlfriend too. I was devestated.. they were my first par blue scarlets too.
Apparantly Anti freeze is the worst, one tablespoon can floor an adult cat/dog. apparantly 2 disprin dissolved or two liquid ibuprofin will kill a cat.... try a pack of 24 and still living! This cat was the spawn of satan. I did manage to catch cats in mozzie netting over cages tho. Make it hang loosely over the cages so it drapes over them then act fast!
But the only way that works is to try and keep it out. Block every single gap... or move? which ever is the easiest

Ash, my condolences. I sympathise entirely. I have no problem with cats themselves - I quite like cats - but irresponsible owners drive me up the wall. It's appalling that a single cat can make your life a misery and result in financial outlay just because some fool can't - or doesn't want to - confine their cat.

When I was little, my family used to have trouble with cats wandering into our yard. We liked to attract wildlife - not to mention that the cats would pee and defecate in the sandpit, making a terrible stink - so they were not at all welcome. We didn't find a magical solution, so I don't have any better suggestions than pre-baiting and then trapping. Best of luck catching it and keep us updated on your progress.

build a big square cage that dosnt look like a trap or anything with a raw chicken hanging when grabed releases the handing door n wala =) thats just what comes to mind sure it can be done.. or when i was a kid i can remember a stick tied to a pice of string holding a basket up n we would put food leading up to it and then under it waiting for something to take the bait n then when under we would pull the string causing it to fall n trap whatever was under it that was "catch and release" good luck

Let me take the moral Low Ground. Why would anyone want to give a cat an asprin? ......... Doesn't Nurofen Plus work faster on headaches. Seriously though I would consider a wandering cat that no one claims to own as feral and therefore is a legitimate cause for euthanasia (pending on a microchip check). Sounds like the cat is more into live bait, maybe if you enclosed your guinea pigs leaving only one side exposed and put the trap in front maybe that would entice him in (much the same way of catching finches with the aid of a caller). I would be inclined to run some mesh a few centimeters back at the exposed end to create a safety buffer. Just a thought. Good Luck.

just think how you would feel if someone was doing that to YOUR mice and G.P's.

But the cat IS doing exactly that to her mice and Guinea pigs.
It's inflicting a needless, excruciating death on them, and they were just doing what comes naturally, ie, running around like cat toys.

Anyway, I don't know how helpful it would be, but at my house the cats like to sit on top of the reptile tanks, especially the exo-terras. Their lids are not designed to bear this kind of weight, so I've actually gotten some mouse traps and set them on top of the tanks. They're "child-safe", designed so that if a kid sticks their finger in it it won't get broken. They still hurt like hell though, and they are doing a fantastic job of keeping the cats off the tanks.

I don't understand though, how is the cat getting into the cages? All the cages I have my critters in are fully enclosed, even if they were knocked over they wouldn't come apart.

I used to keep birds and the chap I bought my finches from said he had previously had a massive problem with cats climbing on his aviaries at night. He tried everything with limited success. A farmer mate then offered to loan him an electric fence, which he set up around the top of the aviaries. It would cause them to jump and from 2m up he said they landed a good metre away from aviary. He said you hear the noise quite clearly from inside. From the number of hits and number of cats he’d seen, he reckoned each cat only got zapped once and then never returned. Occasionally some new moves into the neighbour and he will have problem again. So he borrows the fence and once it gets hit, he packs it up.

I found spraying them with straight ammonia-based cleaner or disinfectant keeps them out of the yard. I use a 50mL syringe but something like a ‘super soaker’ water pistol would be ideal. They hate the smell of the stuff and I suspect they have difficulty trying to preen themselves clean of it for that very reason. I only aim for the body as I don’t want to do them any long-term harm. Practice using it first to get your aim.

I wish you luck in getting rid of the cat. I sympathise with your losses, especially being deprived of the joy of watching those animals you have specifically bred and tended over a matter of years and that held a special significance as a result.

Blue

Electric fences are fun!!!

There's good news with them too - you can buy battery operated portable ones rather cheap (around $100 for the unit then add cost for a 12V battery and wiring).

If you know someone with one, all you need to do is borrow it for a month or so, buy your own wiring. When your friend wants it back, leave the wiring in place and the cat won't go near!!!

However, I still feel the trapping idea is the best idea presented so far.

If you want to try the electric fence go to your local 'rural' supply shop and price them up. I can't recall the name of the unit that was available here, but all up, including battery, was less than $200.

Killing cats is fine, provided you have the (primitive) mental capacity of an instinctual creature, rather than that of an intelligent person.

I would say that it is just like a snake killing a mouse, however it's not. It meets no real need and is seemingly done for either spite or pleasure.

Although it is often assumed, the ability of speech ≠ intelligent thought. But for some reason, most rights are designed for humans (who often do not deserve them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back