im thinking about getting my gf a horse for her b day ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayden1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
im thinking about getting my gf a horse for her b day ?? but im not sure any good ideas ??​

I dont know your housing situation etc, Horses are wonderful however they take a lot of commitment and time and money... Not to mention the issues of agisting them if you dont have your own land. they can live for 25 years or more so require your G/F's willingness and ability to provide the love/care and attention for this length of time? Has she even indicated she would like one?

There are easier ways to win your girlfriends heart, mate..

Quite a serious animal to own, check the legalities of the situation first.
Not quite as simple as putting it in your backyard, and giving it hay a few times a week.

Horses are large, powerful animals that can hurt you if you don't know what you're doing.
Some serious research and discussions with your girlfriend are in order if you are considering it seriously..

A horse is an even bigger commitment than a puppy or kitten. As stated they can live for 25 years or longer (one of mine has only just passed away at over 30yo - poor girl). They need a considerable amount of space, eat constantly, and can be very costly if the vet is needed.
The cost of agistment + feed + worming + farrier + tack + grooming supplies + the amount of time and energy required to maintain a horse properly can become very expensive.

I would not buy her a horse unless she is completely commited and you have thoroughly discussed it with her.

What are farrier and tack ?? :shock:

she did have one but it had t get put down cos of its age she has all that stuff :/ idk

Not quite as simple as putting it in your backyard, and giving it hay a few times a week.
i beg to differ :);) when my family moved up the coast we kept our old house (ended up moving back there ) and our next door neighbour at the holiday house got one of those tiny horses , we pulled a few fence palings down and the horse made its way between houses and kept our lawns mowed when we weren't there :), they kept it well exercised by taking it for walks along the beach thats across the road and with the 2 yards together it had a pretty big yard ( we do live in a small beach town though and the blocks are pretty big compared to places that are more populated )

however i do understand that this wouldn't work for every one but it worked well for them and us , didn't mow the lawns for years

Mate bad idea!!!!!

Cheers Brenton

i beg to differ :);) when my family moved up the coast we kept our old house (ended up moving back there ) and our next door neighbour at the holiday house got one of those tiny horses , we pulled a few fence palings down and the horse made its way between houses and kept our lawns mowed when we weren't there :), they kept it well exercised by taking it for walks along the beach thats across the road and with the 2 yards together it had a pretty big yard ( we do live in a small beach town though and the blocks are pretty big compared to places that are more populated )

however i do understand that this wouldn't work for every one but it worked well for them and us , didn't mow the lawns for years

I see what you did there ;)

Yes I'm sure it could work with a small horse and a large secure backyard, but I meant it more as a generalisation.
I think images of Clydesdales in a suburban backyard came into my head.. :D

how long have you been together?
i think a horse for her birthday is a bit much take her out to dinner or something.
you can buy me a horse instead though :)

If she is experienced in keeping and caring for a horse, has the space and the equipment needed, wants another one, then I don't see how it's a bad idea really. I wouldn't just surprise her with one however; I would talk to her about it, to her parents if she still lives at home/is quite young, then maybe offer to supply the funds while she does the selecting and give a budget you can work around. A nice idea, if a bit over the top from my perspective. Most guys just buy jewellery lol ;)

I see what you did there ;)

Yes I'm sure it could work with a small horse and a large secure backyard, but I meant it more as a generalisation.
I think images of Clydesdales in a suburban backyard came into my head.. :D
haha yea the girl who owned it had other horses but she kept them on some land near by , this was more like a dog to her , i would not recommend keeping a larger horse in your back yard thats just plain stupid :) and i wouldn't be buying a horse for my girlfriends birthday either , unless she already had other horses and i knew she was looking into getting another and had the space , even then id check with her before i bought it

if you buy her a horse this year imagine what she will want next year haha:)

if you buy her a horse this year imagine what she will want next year haha:)

Haha you'll be getting her a car next year! It's the only type of transportation left. Lol my boyfriend got me a human skeleton foot for my birthday. It was pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back