Sbs now! Amazing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Biology on most living things is pretty straight forward. They all have the same basic organs required for life and the only real difference is how these organs are positioned in the body in relation to their associated systems. Was all clear cut to me, slightly disturbing though seeing animals I am passionate about being diced up irregardless of their introduced status.

They didnt go into old world vs new world snake differences in lungs. They stated that one lung was smaller so it can fit. It it snaller due to the eeason it doesnt really get used & has decreased in size due to evolution. A new world snake only has one lung. They stated the upper jaws work in pairs. Have you actually watched your snake eat? The snake expert really didnt say anything. The anake breeder would have been a far better choice. Thee are several other points also but I really cant be stuffed writing it all out correctly on my phone. Plenty of good books out there on reptile anatomy. They should have read one before publishing this crap. As an overview it was ok, but way too much incorrect info. Everyone here xomplains when ignorance is shown to a reptile, but when ignorance is taught...

Regardless of which world it's lungs came from, I did enjoy when they filled them up with water.

Green_Buddy you can't expect a TV show to go through the complete evolution & biology of snakes, the show isn't designed to be a reference on reptilian biology. It's done to give the general public a basic understanding of snakes. You are complaining that they didn't know what they are talking about yet you stated that the snake was gravid, which was not the case.

If someone really wants to get an understanding on snakes they aren't going to turn to a doco on SBS. If anyone want to get a better understanding on snakes PM me and I can recommend some good books.

That was an oversight ony behalf as I wasnt on the room.at that time. O gave up towards the emd & left. I just cant imagine David Attenborough or Gunther publishing similar inaccuracies & both of them have also appeared on SBS at some stage. A good starting point for those who are interested in understanding the facts is Frank Mutschmann's Snake Diseases ISBN 978-3-89973-468-3 but of course there are many other good books on the subject

David Attenborough series do contain inaccuracies, as abnrmal91 stated if you are looking to TV for education at the higher levels (tertiary etc) then you need to reexamine the credibility of information you have been given.

Science is continually revealing new discoveries, textbooks are continually being updated with new editions to compensate for this and most documentaries do research into primary studies. It is understandable if there are inaccuracies.

Green-Buddy,
There was obviously something about the doco that disappointed you. However, your stated criticisms are not correct.

For example, they did not state that the upper jaws worked in pairs. They stated that each was able to work independently. The graphic that followed that statement illustrates the movement to which you refer in your criticism – and they referred to as the snake “walking” its jaws over the prey.

The woman doing the dissection said she was surprised by the degree of asymmetry exhibited by the lungs. She was no doubt expecting two closely similar sized lungs in an old world serpent compared to what she was used to seeing in new world snakes. They did NOT use the terms new world and old world. However, Prof. Dawkins' commentary explained the variation in lungs from two to one functional and one vestigial to just one, and the evolutionary significance of these developments. I would like to point out that a lot of New World snakes have a vestigial left lung and what you should have said is that they a single functional lung.

All I can suggest is that perhaps you need to watch it again with a more open mind.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing this thread has reminded me is why I really dont post on APS. Everyone is looking for a witch hunt. I stand by my origional post that I think it is crap. When I am back at work with some time to kill with a pc in front of me I will post a full explanation of everything. Till then, meh....

The only thing this thread has reminded me is why I really dont post on APS.

and that's good, keep it up. It seems if you don't have it your way you spit the dummy. BTW, your posts are really hard to read, how can you concentrate your thoughts when punching your cell phone.

Last edited:
It's not a witch hunt, education should be put at the forefront of advancing the hobby. People are trying to understand your reasoning to your dislike of the program, it seems you expected more from the program. Reptiles are something the general public don't like, it would be of no benefit to explain to them in great detail any one topic on reptile biology or evolution. However you would hope that a program like that would encourage some to look into reptiles more.

They didnt go into old world vs new world snake differences in lungs. They stated that one lung was smaller so it can fit. It it snaller due to the eeason it doesnt really get used & has decreased in size due to evolution. A new world snake only has one lung. They stated the upper jaws work in pairs. Have you actually watched your snake eat? The snake expert really didnt say anything.

umm sorry but i agree with Blue,
if you are going to comment on something make sure you know what!
we think that you should watch it again!
and you go on about 'witching' (even though i am doing it now :lol:) and yet you were the
first one to do so on this post.

Green-Buddy,
Put your actions into perspective. People have watched the video and been excited because they have understood something that previously eluded them.

And you would seek to invalidate the educational experience, rob them of the joy of new found understanding about creatures that excite them and nullify their sense of achievement.

You may not see it that way but I clearly do. I am happy to address any of your concerns or complaints about the video by PM and to throw my weight behind any valid mistakes that can be identified so we can let others know.

Blue

I thought the size of the specimens was critical in something like this being a success. Given the size of things like muscle structures and organs it was very easy to understand what was being described.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back