cat problem - need help :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're 19 and you have teenagers? :shock:

Nope.

I was attempting to analogise so that the other readers could better understand my views on this topic. Drowning or poisoning a cat is equal to drowning or poisoning a child, in my opinion. (Drowning or poisoning a teenager is an entirely different matter.)

we cant discharge our guns in suburbia littlemay.

But you can 'trap' and euthanise...

There is no need to be inhumane - I've normally liked what you've said in the past snowman, but hearing your blurb about poisoning was a little off putting. Your heart is in the right place, but your process is all wrong.

I just have to say that's my opinion.

As littlemay said above - killing the cat isn't the issue, it's how it is killed that is.

I'm convinced you're serious about protecting wildlife in your yard and street. I'm not convinced you've chosen the right method of conducting your 'protection'.

Fair enough.
I'm just after the simplest solution for my needs. I'm pretty cold hearted with non native animals and treat them all the same as mice and rats. If poison is good enough for a mouse, then it's good enough for a cat in my mind.
I know foxes are baited regularly with 1080 also.
I'm not touching any cats outside of my own back yard. But anything that is seen more than once in my yard is swiftly dealt with. I'm not going waste my time getting traps from the council and taking the vermin to the pound etc.

I dont get any sadistic satisfaction... . I dont see them die and that's how I like it. I dont think about how they will die and that is also how I like it. I just know that they will die. If I was a sadist then I would watch with enjoyment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope.
Drowning or poisoning a cat is equal to drowning or poisoning a child, in my opinion. (Drowning or poisoning a teenager is an entirely different matter.)

Wow that is insightful... Do you really think the law would look at the drowning of a stray cat with the same weight it would a human child???
Do you really think a cat's life is equal to that of a child?
Is a fly's life also equal to a child? Or a crickets life? Maybe a rats life?
What else can you tell us?

Do you really think the law would look at the drowning of a stray cat with the same weight it would a human child???

actually if caught a person could face being charged with animal cruelty so as such the law DOES look on it as something similar as drowning a human child

have any of you people who are condoning slow cruel painful deaths to cats given any though to perhaps a child stumbling across this thread? how would you feel if YOUR child had a cat that they loved and then they read this thread where adults are listing ways to inhumanely kill a cat would you just shrug off your childs feelings as nothing?

im disgusted this thread remains despite the numerous breaches of the rules of this site but i guess its proven, at least to me, something i already suspected

The law still doesn't penalize animal cruelty the same as murder. Murder only apples to killing a human.
Someone suspected of killing a child would be heavily investigated. Someone suspected of drowning a cat won't get the same resources spent investigating them. They are clearly different.
Hopefully a child reading this would run and tell mummy not to let the cat roam outside of their property.
As for my own kids they will never have any non native pets.

If putting a slug into the little kitties head was too much then Ice also works a treat, Gives them a darn nasty bruise and a fright!
Still since it bit you I suggest def kill it, as previously mentioned if it were a dog then straight away it would be put down...why should it be any different for a destructive feline?

Do you really think the law would look at the drowning of a stray cat with the same weight it would a human child???

actually if caught a person could face being charged with animal cruelty so as such the law DOES look on it as something similar as drowning a human child

have any of you people who are condoning slow cruel painful deaths to cats given any though to perhaps a child stumbling across this thread? how would you feel if YOUR child had a cat that they loved and then they read this thread where adults are listing ways to inhumanely kill a cat would you just shrug off your childs feelings as nothing?

im disgusted this thread remains despite the numerous breaches of the rules of this site but i guess its proven, at least to me, something i already suspected

I suppose the bonus point to that is that the child will learn that what their parents are doing by letting their cat roam free is illegal and is causing massive destruction to not only wildlife but also peoples prized animals. And that maybe they should inform their parents of the illegal act they are committing and that if the cat happens to go "missing" one night then its entirely their fault and they have no-one to blame but themselves!

Ive noticed that after the cat dies they get a kitten which they keep inside. Once it's old enough to roam it would have met the same fate.

If one of my snakes escaped and met a shovel on their property I'd only have myself to blame. Why some cat owners feel that it's okay to have a roaming pet I will never understand.

That is sooo true. If someone killed your snake because it has escaped the tank you had it in its your fault...same reason if I shot a cat on my property with a sling shot. I didn't know it was a domestic cat they all look the same to me......As someone would say the same thing about a snake!

P.s APS you have put a smile on my face from reading this thread tonight :p
It reminds me of when we had a cat ******* all over our house. My parents got traps from the council....they caught 5 cats (different ones) before they caught the stray they were after! Gosh if only they knew the little tricks listed previously ;)

Last edited:
I think you are wasting your time. She sounds like youre talking to a cat owner who lets them roam..

Snowman; your methods of pretty worrying. It's a normal thing to let cats roam because they're an independent, (often) non-threatening pet. Everyone on our street let's our cats roam because it's normal.

Relating letting a cat roam to letting a snake roam is a poor analysis as it doesn't take into account the publics conceptions of animals. You see a cat on the street, you say "naw cute kitty" and it runs away from you.
You see a snake on the street, you say "OH ****ING GOD RUN FOR YOUR LIFE".

When I saw a red-belly-black-snake in our front yard; hell freaking yeah I was worried. We didn't kill it, but if we had the cat, we would have.

I'm all for preserving the wildlife you keep, but there are far more humane ways to deal with the situation than tying an animal up in a bag and dropping it to drown in the river.

please bother to check your spelling it was confusing trying to read that. and obviously you are not for preserving wildlife since you would rather kill a snake than be a responsible pet owner.

NOONE has the right to let there animals roam. Cats are not native and often kill native animals. all od this argument comes back to the original point if the cat owners were responsible this would never be a problem.

and killing a cat and a child is two different things!!! cat owners often dont care what there cat's do. parents usually care more. also im pretty sure you can sue if a person causes 400$ worth of damage.

I'm with snowman on this one.
It amazes me just how relaxed people are about the confinement of their pets. In my street alone I will see at least 3 cats while driving late at night. This may not seem like a high ratio of cats but my street is only 150 metres long.
Some of the stupid things will literally lay in the middle of the road and won't move when you approach so end up having to go around them.

If the owners cared so much about their "beloved family members" they wouldn't have them out roaming.
In the eyes of the law if a dog or cat is hit by a car the owner is 100% responsible as they are meant to be confined at all times when not being walked/taken to the vets etc.

I know this is a fact because I hit a dog about a year ago which was running around by itself after midnight and darted in front of my car.
The dog was taken to the vet, had surgery performed and was mending but ultimately put down because the "caring owner" didn't want to pay the vet bills.
I called the police to tell them I had hit a dog (Wasn't sure if I had to inform them) and they told me it was purely the owners fault. Tried getting the owners details but because of these Privacy laws I was also stuck with a $750 to fix my fog lights.

If you really care so much about your pets, keep them inside.
You wouldn't let your bearded dragon to free range your suburb and expect nothing untowards to happen to it so why people think differently about cats amazes me.

Maybe darts poisoned with snake venom is a natural answer. It annoys me that people
let their cats stray but the thought of them being bitten by a "poisonous" snake makes them angry about snakes.

Any domestic cat roaming is a "feral cat" in my eyes.

Wow that is insightful... Do you really think the law would look at the drowning of a stray cat with the same weight it would a human child???

The law wouldn't, no. But I think you can already guess that I believe the law to be lacking in this area ;)

Do you really think a cat's life is equal to that of a child?
Is a fly's life also equal to a child? Or a crickets life? Maybe a rats life?

Cat: yes
Rat: yes
Fly: no
Cricket: no

It depends on the complexity of the nervous system of the creature in question, and also how advanced their cognitive ability is.

Generally, mammals and birds fear and feel pain in similar ways.
Insects don't experience these things in the same way, so it is not really possible to 'torture' them.

Yes, yes. I feed my snake mice. Mice that have been humanely killed to meet a viable need. I would have no problem if you killed a cat so that you/your family could eat, but only if that was a necessity.

What else can you tell us?

octopus.jpg

This guy carries his testicles in his head.
He also bears a striking resemblance to my grandmother.

The law wouldn't, no. But I think you can already guess that I believe the law to be lacking in this area ;)

It depends on the complexity of the nervous system of the creature in question, and also how advanced their cognitive ability is.

Insects don't experience these things in the same way, so it is not really possible to 'torture' them.

Yes, yes. I feed my snake mice. Mice that have been humanely killed to meet a viable need. I would have no problem if you killed a cat so that you/your family could eat, but only if that was a necessity.

View attachment 258562

So you wouldn't think someone breast feeding a cat or rat would be strange?

I too have had problems with cats on my property eating wildlife and my pets. Recently lost most of my good racing pigeons. I can empathise with you!

In terms of trapping difficult to trap cats, I suggest getting three small square bales of hay (straw or whatever is cheapest) place a bale over each side of the trap and then the third over the top. This creates a dark and natural tunnel that cats seem to feel secure in. I have had it work.
As cats are so visual and are drawn to the live animals, I have toyed with the idea of making a cat proof cage for a sparrow or mouse etc to be placed at the back end of the above design, it would be pretty stressful on the trapped animal but as long as it was safe from the cat, that is better than it being torn to shreds.
Hope this is helpful.

View attachment 258562

so your saying that you would rather feral animals destroyed millions of native animals each year then being shot!

so your saying that you would rather feral animals destroyed millions of native animals each year then being shot!

That's a difficult question, I don't believe there is a straightforward yes/no answer to it. There are many other things that need to be considered when answering this to be able to form a reasonable opinion. (Then there's also the question of why humans are allowed to live when we are the ones who probably do the most damage. Not only do we introduce these 'feral animals' in the first place, we also destroy the natural habitat of native animals. [Among a myriad of other 'eco-unfriendly' things we do.] )

I was more arguing against the drowning and poisoning. Instant death is a more 'preferable' option when compared to a slow, terrifying and painful death.

Thanks for the laughs everybody...

When I saw a red-belly-black-snake in our front yard; hell freaking yeah I was worried. We didn't kill it, but if we had the cat, we would have.

It's funny though, because in the same breath..

I'm all for preserving the wildlife

Some of the stupid things will literally lay in the middle of the road and won't move when you approach so end up having to go around them.

Why swerve around them?
I would deem a heavy impact from a 2 tonne piece of metal traveling 40 kph to be humane.

If you really care so much about your pets, keep them inside.
You wouldn't let your bearded dragon to free range your suburb and expect nothing untowards to happen to it so why people think differently about cats amazes me.

Exactly. Short and simple, but yet, too much of a task for some people to follow.

I would have no problem if you killed a cat so that you/your family could eat, but only if that was a necessity.

Don't cats like to kill for pleasure?
Hardly 'necessary' if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back