Is it a good idea to put 2 different snakes together?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG now the twit is encouraging other members to keep different snakes together. Please limit the posts this member makes, he obviously thinks he is right no matter what & is willing to share out wrong information he knows nothing about.
Kodie, you really need to go & do some research about snakes natural history. Invest in some books by reputable people.

First of all i do believe this thread was started possibly by another person who is already a member on here.

here are my points i would like to add,

You are 16? - i believe under regulations u have to be minimum of 18 to be a wild life carer. If it is the case you are working under your family's permit, i hope they realize they need a specific permit to care and rehabilitate reptiles.

2. the olive will more then like grow quicker, if you can get a wild snake to eat frozen food of course, in which case it will get hungry and hunt the nearest moving object, being your carpet.

3. asking questions on this thread and then debating against them is not going to win you over the line mate, people do not like seeing snakes put in risk of being harmed.

4. if the snake is injured, it is not as simple as it is missing the food, snakes actually don't really use their eye sight to hunt lil buddy. so either the vet is not really sure about snakes and their anatomy as to how they hunt, or he is dodgy and useless.

5. how does something the size of this snake, squeeze into a quoll trap, and only hurt it's eye. Second to that, why are you trapping quolls?

Anyway my questions over til i think of something else.

Look, they may live together perfectly fine for a week, a month, a yr or even forever BUT your chances are pretty slim that it will remain that way. They are opportunistic feeders & DO NOT have the same thought pattern as mammals. If one does attempt to eat the other, in most cases both will die, it has been reported over & over again. I would not be taking the risk because I care about my pets too much & would hate to lose one due to my own stupidity. Why don't you want to listen to people who have been in the hobby longer than you have been alive? You are very naive & obviously very stubborn (or stupid, you tell me) to not listen to the advise given along with pics to prove what is being said.

Also what happened to quarantine? Or don't you know what that is!

First of all i do believe this thread was started possibly by another person who is already a member on here.

here are my points i would like to add,

You are 16? - i believe under regulations u have to be minimum of 18 to be a wild life carer. If it is the case you are working under your family's permit, i hope they realize they need a specific permit to care and rehabilitate reptiles.

2. the olive will more then like grow quicker, if you can get a wild snake to eat frozen food of course, in which case it will get hungry and hunt the nearest moving object, being your carpet.

3. asking questions on this thread and then debating against them is not going to win you over the line mate, people do not like seeing snakes put in risk of being harmed.

4. if the snake is injured, it is not as simple as it is missing the food, snakes actually don't really use their eye sight to hunt lil buddy. so either the vet is not really sure about snakes and their anatomy as to how they hunt, or he is dodgy and useless.

5. how does something the size of this snake, squeeze into a quoll trap, and only hurt it's eye. Second to that, why are you trapping quolls?

Anyway my questions over til i think of something else.
answer to 5. my mum is a Ranger and they are trapping quolls to understand more about them and why there are going endangered on the mainland...
4.it is hopeless. when it ate the quoll the quoll fought back and ripped the snakes face and neck open..
3. your right about that one :)
2. the olive will not grow quick enough to be able to eat the coastal...
1. we have all the correct licenses and stuff to care for them.

answer to 5. my mum is a Ranger and they are trapping quolls to understand more about them and why there are going endangered on the mainland...hmmmmm
4.it is hopeless. when it ate the quoll the quoll fought back and ripped the snakes face and neck open..believable , thats why its recommended not to live feed
3. your right about that one :) most people have been right about what they have said in this thread , except you of course youve just been wrong the whole time
2. the olive will not grow quick enough to be able to eat the coastal...wrong it may still try it on , plus the coastal may try it on the olive , never really know
1. we have all the correct licenses and stuff to care for them.i asked you before but you just ignored me , i want proof im not going to just take your word for it that you have the licence not after everything else you have said

my answers are in red

How many more pics of snakes eating snakes do you need to realise they DO and WILL eat other snakes, regardless of how well you THINK they get on?

answer to 5. my mum is a Ranger and they are trapping quolls to understand more about them and why there are going endangered on the mainland...if your mother is a ranger then i don't understand why she would allow a wild snake to be put in with a captive one ??
4.it is hopeless. when it ate the quoll the quoll fought back and ripped the snakes face and neck open.. wild snakes are not hopeless. they are predators. oppertunistic feeders. I dont know how it got in with the quoll, had enough body length to kill it and only suffer minor injuries.
3. your right about that one :) unfortunately yes i am.
2. the olive will not grow quick enough to be able to eat the coastal... - that snake is already big enough to eat your coastal sorry.
1. we have all the correct licenses and stuff to care for them.
- lic. no ? What state are you in? I am assuming Qld? and what small island? just to let you know people from the approprite authorities do trawl these threads, and take matter of concern seriously.

In this account, a 16 year old boy has taken possession of a wild Olive python, who was injured. Although has been allowed to keep it thanks to his mother being a ranger, although she is a ranger who is not really concerned about quarantine or cannibalism in snakes let alone housing requirements for injured reps?

As "someone" who has worked for various parks and wild life, and now i have my own business, which incorporates rehabilitating injured reptiles, this concerns me, and i am only a little fish.

i would say that you parents are carers and not you, this may be true.

i feel you are understanding this wrong. snakes will have a go at each other. it doesnt matter if the olive is smaller. have you ever seen a snake eat a deer? have a watch on you tube you wouldnt belive it till you saw it. size can be decieving. It might not happer for a while but if you care for these animals at all you need to try to understand that it is a very real possibility that this can happen...

people have kept different species together and some are ok but for the most its not good practise.

fmx riders dont wear helmets cause the crash every time, its just incase. same here mate. your just proving by being big headed that you care very little about the welbeing of these snakes..

how will you feel when things go down and its your fault through bad husbandry that one or both of the pythons die??

cool story bro..... i don't care what you think, the snakes are happy....if they don't like each other they can move to other cage if they're not happy together. but this morning i went down to check on them....both curled up next to each other.... just because they're different species and people say they shouldn't be together doesn't mean they don't like it. i've had my olive for about 12months now and the coastal i've had for about 3 months... i know my snakes better than anyone else does so don't tell me whats right and whats wrong or whats best for them.... i know whats best for them ok!

Okay, simple question for you, if I may.... You say, and I quote: "if they don't like each other they can move to other cage if they're not happy together" - without human interference (yours, no doubt), how can they do this? You're keeping them together, aren't you?

"i've had my olive for about 12months now and the coastal i've had for about 3 months..." - I'm assuming you've had them together all this time? You wait until NOW to ask your question "Is it a good idea to put two different snakes together?"...

"i know my snakes better than anyone else does so don't tell me whats right and whats wrong or whats best for them.... i know whats best for them ok!" - So.... why ask the question if you "know what's best for them"? I'm going to lean toward a positive here, and suggest you had an inkling, niggling doubt in your mind that what you were doing was, in fact, wrong, hence the NEED to ask your question... If I'm right, then THANK GOODNESS, there is hope for you!

That is all! :)
"

:facepalm: OMG 11 pages......& nothing!! (except that you have given me much amusement whilst i lie here in hospital bored outta my brain)

P.S- You are ALL wrong, KODIE says so!!!!

Kodie, you are a boy genius, no room for enclosures......problem solved, we can all now have more snakes, cause you have said they can live together happily, & you know everything!! We should all be paying you $1000 for the knowledge you have so generously given to us. :p

P.S- If by SOME chance you find only one snake in the enclosure.......dont panic or think you should have listened to these replies, you will find your 'missing snake' inside his 'bestfriends' belly......they are just sharing some love, they like to keep each other warm like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back