Wanting snakes, but where to start?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReptileCove

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have owned reptiles in the past, and have always loved breeding them, and had become one of my favourite parts about owning them. Recently my living arrangements have changed and i have been allowed to start keeping them again. Ideally i would love to have a fairly big collection of snakes and breed them on a some-what large scale. Just like some people find great joy from owning 3 or 4 snakes, i too find great joy in owning more. Anyway, too the point. I have recently read a thread on how the market is being flooded with low quality therefore low priced animals. Now i am only 16, don't have much of a job, so currently only have roughly $1000 put aside to start my collection off. I was first aiming at getting myself perhaps a pair or trip of Hypo Bredli but after reading how the market has too many breeders and too many low-quality animals i am concerned weather or not this is a smart idea. Or weather i should save for some higher-quality animals?

Hope that made some sort of sense, and if i was unclear anywhere please just ask.

Thanks, Harrison

Personally I think the market is flooded with high end reptiles as well as the offcuts

If you are passionate about breeding reptiles make sure you share your passion and ignite as many newcomers as you can

Please don't take this personally - I am meaning generally

It is only high end once, ie, when it first becomes available = that is when people willl pay big money

Cheers
Sandee :)

harrison why does that name sound soooo familiar? Australian reptile forum? didn't school go back today?

Last edited:
Of-course i would make sure i had the money/space etc for the adults, and hatchlings before i even thought about getting them.
And sorry junglejags, haven't heard of ARF?

Breed what you want to breed, because everyone seems to jump down your throat when you say you want to make a little bit of money out of it.

i am by no means in it too make money from it, i know i would have far better chances earning money if i didn't really breed them at all. It's just something i enjoy doing really.

I was first aiming at getting myself perhaps a pair or trip of Hypo Bredli but after reading how the market has too many breeders and too many low-quality animals i am concerned weather or not this is a smart idea. Or weather i should save for some higher-quality animals?

How would one define a low quality snake?

You'll often find the people decrying sellers flooding the market with low cost animals are the ones buying or selling expensive animals. That said, hypo animals are so subjective that you may wish to go with a reliable breeder so you have a bit better an idea about what you're getting.

I think now is probably not the time to be breeding...the market is flooded and people are having difficulty getting rid of snakes they dont want.

If you buy yourself a hatchy then you have to wait for them to be old enough to breed with anyway so take yor time. In the future things may be different but at the moment there are a lot of animals out there

Well Then If you really enjoy breeding snakes then you would most likely take good care of them not like most that only breed them for money although ItIs better buying more exspensie snakes that you know will sell quickly so that way your not left with large clutches of hatchies something along the lines of say A nice line of reduced paterend albino darwins or similiar but there a lot more than 1000 dollars so keep saving and keep doing your research

Yeah as i said, i don't mind holding onto the hatchling for a good while whilst they sell to new homes, just as you said, would start to feel the affects if i had to hold on for them for a very long period of time without sale.
Was contemplating getting something along an albino darwin project, but as you said, will keep doing my research for a little bit in that case.

Well seems you have good Intentions so thats all good and If you can get hold of something thats not common or something thats hard to find and something you can off load as hatchies without too extended a period Is what you want

$$$ LOL, if do by some chance aquire these so called 'high end snakes' and do manage to breed them they will be worth a pittence by then. It was not that long ago GTPs were selling for $5k + and now they are worth not much more than 1k for good bloodline animals. Enjoy the animals for their individuality and not for short sighted financial gain which today is as real as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

i didn't mean it in the way that i am after something that will sell for big bucks, i meant more along the lines of something that i wont be stuck with the hatchlings for like a year lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back