Pregnant huntsman but how?!?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NiAtt

Reaction score
HI guys!
HopIng someone can gIve us some answers. We have a huntsman and a bIrd eatIng spIder lIvIng In the same enclosure and yesterday the huntman laId her eggs however we have had her almost 3 months wIthout any other huntman around. I was under the ImpressIon that the tIme between spIders matIng and a female layIng was almost ImedIate so how dId she lay?

Not sure but I've heard of some spiders being able to store sperm from previous matings for many months. Not sure if they can store it while moulting.

The other option is that the eggs are infertile

Last edited:
Maybe infertile eggs or Jesus Spiders?? Either way they wont live together for long. They're both predators.

thanks. yes obvIously tIme to move her out. untIl now theyve completely left each other alone but probably not worth the rIsk

Not knowing the anatomy of huntsmans but scorpions are arachnids and they store sperm and can be pregnant for months. I'm wondering how you keep the huntsman and bird eating spider together with out them eating each other

I think some female spiders lay eggs,then the male fertilizes them.its less dangerous for him...

i had this happen when i found a beautiful huntsman in my van so i put her into a container, a few months later she had laied her eggs and a further month or so they hatched, im still finding huntsmans in my house now!

Fertilisation in spiders is accomplished by a male spider holding a package of sperm in his pedipalps, underneath the female so that she can take it up through her genital pore. That is why males have large pedipalos and females do not. The female can then store the sperm until she is ready to use it. In some spiders, such as red-backs, the male is often consumed after mating, providing some extra protein for the development of the eggs.

Bluetongue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back