Goldfields Open - Bendigo (anyone going?)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Recently I've become a bit of a snooker fan... It's like a soap opera with balls!

I'm waiting for Neil Robertson (the aussie) to play tonight - he's on form!!!

Really enjoying the coverage. Shame Robertson is the only Aussie in the open.

I can't believe the money that's involved in these games! And the crowds aren't exactly booming (yet).

I think if I can save some $$$ I'd like to go next year.

Anyone else interested in snooker?

I've got a snooker table and I play it sometimes, I've seen a couple matches(?)/duels(?) on the tele but that's about as far as I've ever gotten. I agree with the soap opera part of your post, some of the shots they pull off are absolutely amazing! Where can I see it on TV?

It's not quite full size, it's a little bit smaller. It's a long way from NZ for a game of snooker but you're welcome anytime :)

Just watching Ebdon and Ding play - Really enjoying Ding's style, but Ebdon is like a clinical (obsessive) robot. Ding is winning at the moment tho, and if I was to pick on recent performance the final (early prediction) is going to be Neil Robertson v Ding (can't spell last name).

Yeah, you'd need to live closer to Bendigo so I could go to the games as well... Would love to watch pro snooker live - I think that's my new goal!

A lot of kiwis i know are guns at pool or snooker.. is it "big" in NZ compared to Aus ?

I only opened this thread because i thought it was about prospecting.

In between sheep, I'd say pool is second nature to us...

We did have a world contender in Dean O'Kain... But that was short lived...

As for gold prospecting, coming to the South Island? Arrowtown is only a short drive, the gold trail is here and waiting... Plus a game of pool and a sheep or two if you're that way inclined....

I love my stix. Darlyn and I have represented Darwin before. Too much bush time these days to be on a team. Anyone wanting to play snooker or 8 ball should play billiards first. Best way to learn white ball control.

Play you for a beer when you get to Darwin Slim6y!

We play a good game up here, had some Oz champions. From a very small population base. (just high levels of misspent youth ha ha!

Last edited:
Very keen Steve... except I'm not so good with the shiny balls... Would love to learn... Would love to meet some of the Snooker champs too - Very much an O'Sullivan fan here - shame he's not at the Aus Open!

Do you play with furry ones in Un Zud?

Could introduce you to Robbie Savage, former Australian Masters champ. Learned to play on a clothless table on Thursday Island, Torres Strait. NT sportsman of the year and a really nice bloke (except on the table, If you miss a shot it is game over!)

Well, considering I only know the rules... Playing is a very different thing!

So if you miss a shot do you say you've taken a savage beating? :facepalm:

My ex principal plays socially up the road, he's asked if I'd like to play, but I think I need some practice. Played a lot when I was younger, but was beaten in almost every game... I know the angles, but I can't hit the angles!

Ha ha, that's how I met Steve, I was captain of a pool team and he joined my team.

nice!!! But now I know why the table Steve mentioned was clothless....

Ha ha I played on one table in Boroloola with 6 machete chops through the slate. You smashed the balls and they all rolled back into the (collapsed) middle. If one went down a hole it was a bonus. I got kicked out of the "black bar" for not being black, then I got kicked out of the "white bar" cause I'd been in the "black bar". By strange people in big hats, checked shirts and thumbs stuck in their belt loops.

The "black bar" was heaps more fun and I was readmitted the next night and had a fat time there for the rest of the week.

That pub was shut down thankfully. It was a bloodbath. But I have good memories of it.

Gutted - Ding and Robertson out :(

I have some 'snooker' questions....

1) Is it possible to score 2 points (or more) from a free ball?

Eg - Imagine you were snookered on a foul shot and thus given a free ball. You nominate (say) pink. You hit the pink on its way into the pocket it hits and sinks a red - is that counted as two points?

2) As above - a free ball situation, you nominate pink but sink 2 colours (pink and eg blue) - is that a foul?

3) I assume 147 is the highest score in snooker, but it is possible to score more if your opponent fouls - correct?

Okay snooker is different to eightball, but eightball rules are

1.) If you hit your nominated ball anything that occurs thereafter is normal part of play
and normal scoring resumes.

2.) See 1.

3.) I think you could play different scenarios and come up with varied "possible" scores, but 147 happens rarely to get
higher is very rare but not impossible.

Unless of course I was playing you and imbibing in a few, in which case the possibilities are infinity and beyond : )

In regards to question 1... Yes if there reds are off the table and you shooting at a colour you could attain more depending on which colour was next in the sequence.

Q2 is a foul

Q3 theoretically yes you could attain more than 147, however the skill it would take to attain this would generally eliminate to many fouls

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back