Attaching heat mat to enclosure!?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Maniac

Reaction score
Hi everyone up late,

How do I attatch a heat mat to the underside of a HEAVY enclosure? Do i need to raise the enclosure itself and stick the heatmat onto it? The heat mat is 2.5mm thick so how much should I raise the enclosure?

Thanks,
James

most heat mats will come with little rubber stick on feet to attach to the underside of a tank.
Also note that external mounting of a heatmat should only ever be done on GLASS enclosures. Almost all glass enclosures(excluding fish tanks) will have a raised base to allow for heat mat mounting.

If its not a glass enclosure place it under a heavy tile on the inside of the tank and always hook your heat mat to a thermostat.

I have another heat mat question (sorry to hijack your thread maniac, but it's on topic), I just got a reptapet one which says to put foam underneath it. I was wondering if I have to do that? Because foam is ugly and I'd have to put it under the whole enclosure (not just where the heat mat was) so that it wasn't lop sided. Can I just put the heat mat under the tank (it is glass) without putting foam underneath it? Thanks :)

They need aiflow so I'd be inclined to put little legs on the enclosure to raise it up. It would probably look better than foam. Like jimmy said, they usually come with rubber feet but if it's a heavier enclosure you'll probably be better off with a couple of small bits of wood or something.

If the tank is raised how do you attach the heat mat to the glass? I am using Aussi sun heat mats (from the herp shop).

Raise the enclosure.
It doesn't have to be in contact with the glass.
What is it for?

As it turns the enclosure is already raised however to about one inch therefore It would be neccesary to stick the heat mat to the tank. But how?

Iv just used blue tack to stick mine on :) but think it may have fallen off but I'm not concerned as like mad_at_arms & thepythonguy said it doesn't have to be in full contact with the glass just at least 1cm close. :) iv got my tank on a wood stand with about 1.5cm thick cubes of wood under each corner to give it that slight gap for the heat mat to slide under :)

most heat mats are self adhesive so they just stick to the glass

I have another heat mat question (sorry to hijack your thread maniac, but it's on topic), I just got a reptapet one which says to put foam underneath it. I was wondering if I have to do that? Because foam is ugly and I'd have to put it under the whole enclosure (not just where the heat mat was) so that it wasn't lop sided. Can I just put the heat mat under the tank (it is glass) without putting foam underneath it? Thanks :)

I don't think the foam is a good idea,could lead to overheating and fire problems,just stick it on and use little feet to give it some air space,if they don't supply feet you can buy some from newsagent or kmart

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back