Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are you serious or just joking ? snakes dont chase people that myth is spread australia wide

Regardless of whether he followed it or not to antagonise it, it clearly chases him for several meters, stops then goes back the direction it was originally heading in. It clearly shows the snake coming after him with its mouth open!
Don't chase Brown Snakes (Pseudonaja nuchalis) - YouTube

The case I heard from an incident report when two works hoped out of their vehicle and came acrossed an angry ven. It chased one around the side of the vehicle.

Like I said not trying to start arguments but people don't make up incidents for work cause it requires paper work and the video shows a brown chasing the camera man. Clearly chasing him!

Last edited:
By no means shape or form trying to start an argument but there are cases of people that have been "chased" by brown/taipan's (don't know which species exactly) around the Gladstone-rockhampton to Mackay region. Is something is chasing you then to me that says its defending the location where it is currently at...would you not agree? (remember not trying to start an arugment or anything just clarifying for future reference :) )

I am afraid it's not like that. The cases you're referring to are invariably classical self-defence. Some species and some individuals take it little bit further, that's all. It's easy to test; pick up the "chaser", take him a kilometre away, put him on the ground and approach him in the same manner you did the first time. He will chase you again.
If there taipans and brown were protecting the space, they would then be displaying territorial behaviour - we know that snakes are not territorial. Territorial animals have even distribution (in the wild), snakes have random distribution.

I am afraid it's not like that. The cases you're referring to are invariably classical self-defence. Some species and some individuals take it little bit further, that's all. It's easy to test; pick up the "chaser", take him a kilometre away, put him on the ground and approach him in the same manner you did the first time. He will chase you again.
If there taipans and brown were protecting the space, they would then be displaying territorial behaviour - we know that snakes are not territorial. Territorial animals have even distribution (in the wild), snakes have random distribution.

Cheers,

Realise now its self defence, but was mealy pointing out regardless of self defence or "defending location" the snake did chase :)

Regardless of whether he followed it or not to antagonise it, it clearly chases him for several meters, stops then goes back the direction it was originally heading in. It clearly shows the snake coming after him with its mouth open!
Don't chase Brown Snakes (Pseudonaja nuchalis) - YouTube

The case I heard from an incident report when two works hoped out of their vehicle and came acrossed an angry ven. It chased one around the side of the vehicle.

Like I said not trying to start arguments but people don't make up incidents for work cause it requires paper work and the video shows a brown chasing the camera man. Clearly chasing him!
i don't want to argue either , just wanted to ask if you where serious or having a joke , your serious thats ok ill accept your view and leave it at that

i don't want to argue either , just wanted to ask if you where serious or having a joke , your serious thats ok ill accept your view and leave it at that

Respect!

This must not be APS.....When have people ever accepted ones views :p

I don't believe that's really chasing. That's more aggressively defending. You can see the snake lunge at him for a bit then retreat. I think a real aggressively chasing snake would keep chasing until they got it. My imo, of course.

I don't believe that's really chasing. That's more aggressively defending. You can see the snake lunge at him for a bit then retreat. I think a real aggressively chasing snake would keep chasing until they got it. My imo, of course.
thats my view on it , the myth i was referring to is when people say they where chased for a km through the bush yet they never looked back to see if the snake was still there :)

I am going to make myself a dick again for repeting what has been said many times before: "cage defence / protectiveness" is a myth spun by people who know very little about animal behaviour and are unable to correctly interpret such.

^^^ what he said...

It's more to do with them being trapped and having nowhere to escape to. A big hand or hook coming at them head on can be a bit stressful for some animals. That's why they often calm down when they are out of the cage and dont feel as threatened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chasing or whatever you want to call it is just a slight extension of other "bluff" or threatening display some snakes put on; e.g. flattening, hissing, raising the forepart of their bodies into a S shape, gaping, etc..
Another commonly encountered confusion is between territory and home range. Snakes don't defend their home ranges.

Haven't looked at the video but I'm sure in some instances the snake in question is trying to get to a bolt hole or suitable cover.The person just happens to be in the way of where it's looking to hide.

My python is not very defensive at all,very placid most of the time,but the 2 times i have been tagged were when i was picking him up from his enclosure.

By no means shape or form trying to start an argument but there are cases of people that have been "chased" by brown/taipan's (don't know which species exactly) around the Gladstone-rockhampton to Mackay region. Is something is chasing you then to me that says its defending the location where it is currently at...would you not agree? (remember not trying to start an arugment or anything just clarifying for future reference :) )

I was chased by a pair of XL coastal taipans on Cobourg Peninsular (Arnhem Land) for 100 meters, then another 100 meters. They weren't actually attacking me but were certainly herding me out of their zone. I wasn't arguing.

this i what happened to my diamond. she has been like that since she was born. and when i got her out she was fine.
i made a homemade hook so i can get her out without a hassle. so i recommend making/buying a snake hook. it helps a lot
hope i helped :)

And remember the sources of the "a snake chased me" stories are often pretty unreliable. I don't take too much notice of the snake chasing stories (although I don't argue that they are false 100% of the time either - those browns are cranky). It's just that most are urban legends or from panicked people who came within a 50 metre radius of an unidentified reptile and their imagination ran wild. I also don't take much notice of other stories like:

"I saw a python on the road and it was twice as thick as your thigh and 12 metres long"
"I got bitten by a blue tongue and now I have a wound that opens up once a year where it bit me"
"A friend of mine killed a Taipan on his property" (when they live in Victoria)

you get the idea....

My 2 yr old coastal is a little cage defensive, but she has never bitten (even her previous owner was never bitten) she will strike out now and then, but its an empty threat, she doesnt open her mouth, its like she is saying "back off", but i still get her out to play, she needs to be used to daily handling and if i get bitten in the process so be it lol.

My mum's 1 yr old spotted is very cage defensive, but her previous owner stopped handling her for a long time, I put my hand in yesterday (also feeding day so was pretty stupid) and she coiled, i figured she has to get used to being handled again as there are kids in the house who just want to play with her, so i touched her anyway, she latched on and wrapped herself around my hand, got another 2 or 3 bites in and then i figured i'd better leave her alone and feed her lol. It was a great learning experience though, i'd never been bitten by a snake till we got baby childreni and they were fiesty but they didnt hurt, so was interesting to see how they attack, to actually feel it and to feel the power they have in those little jaws! Or maybe i am just a sucker for pain :)
My mums coastal on the other hand, you can be rough as guts with him and he just doesnt care!! Not that we are rough with him though lol

I have to say in my whole few years(tongue in cheek)of keeping Pythons I would agree that mine appear to be defensive(the ones who are)of themselves rather than their enclosure. I will also admit to wrongly using the term "cage defensive" at times, I should be clear and say that they are "defensive" in their enclosure(cage) I have Jungles/Coastals and a Hypo Bredli and will say that only the Jungles display very defensive behavior. I do think describing the behavior as aggressive(on a lot of sites/threads) can be a little misleading, to me it is what it is "defensive" (just my thoughts :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back