Reaction of venom in blood experiment

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen!

Really, I find it really interesting.
How valid is the experiment?
Is it real?
That blood is exposed to the air what happens when it is in a human body?
Interesting stuff.

Is it real?
Interesting stuff.

Just wondering the same myself, very interesting thanks for sharing Darlyn.

Interesting but I'd like to see that done with an Aussie snake
i think it has been done with the beaked sea snake(sp?) among others. ill dig through my bookmarks and try to find the article and post a link. This type of stuff is what i am most interested in. one day my ultamit goal is to find new medacations derived from snake venoms. i stronley feel we can find the cure for cancer useng the complex protiens and enzimes found in snake venoms. Out of all the venomus reptiles i find it hard to believe it cant be done.

Is it real?
Interesting stuff.
dont get me wrong I find it interesting too, I was tired and didn't want to type anymore, but I have this thing with blood..... It just ..... I can't explain it.... But yeh it is disturbing... :)

i remember watching a show called "Aussie Strike Force" where venom expert jamie seymour did tests on our elapids, they tested which snakes gave a dry bite and which ones gave a wet bite, he also took a sample of human blood and then added venom (tho i cant remember what type of snake it was, or if thats the right show im thinkin of) and it pretty much did the same thing. it was very interesting

Why would you doubt the reaction to blood mixed with a haemotoxic venom seen in this video as invalid? The Russel's viper used in this vid obviously contains a strong coagulant which can have a significant reaction to blood rarely ever seen by the general public and its aim was purely an oppotunity for them to get this on film to educate us. Why fabricate the result? what could they possibly gain from it? nothing of course! just a great oppotunity thats all. Aussie elapids with coagulant properties in venom (usually mild in some species) are the blacksnakes- mulga, red bellie, colletts etc. also copperheads (also has strong neurotoxic properties). Those with anti-coagulant properties are the brown family and taipan both of which can have a cocktail of neurotoxic and haemotoxic venom and then theres purely neurotoxic venom such as death adder, tiger snakes (not exclusive also has haemotoxic properties) saying that, each has its own unique properties and my limited knowledge is merely a dumd-down guide to aussie elapid venoms

Weather or not the video is fake or real that is what really happons when hemotoxins are mixed with blood. I have seen this done in real life with Cotten mouth venom. Same results. At an elarming pace I should add.

I meant how valid is it in the sense what does it achieve. Does it
mean that it can be used to treat anything or is it just a great party trick.
Is venom used for treatment of haemophilia?

Last edited:
I meant how valid is it in the sense what does it acheive. Does it
mean that it can be used to treat anything or is it just a great party trick.
Is venom used for treatment of haemophilia?
Off the top of my head I assume it can be used for high blood pressure.

One of the tests conducted on a regular basis by pathology labs on blood is to test the bloods clotting factors using Russell's viper venom. If anyone doubts this I can post a picture of the lab results that state "russells viper venom" or similar on the results.

One of the tests conducted on a regular basis by pathology labs on blood is to test the bloods clotting factors using Russell's viper venom. If anyone doubts this I can post a picture of the lab results that state "russells viper venom" or similar on the results.

Interesting, so Russells Viper venom is obviously the best venom to use. Must have something in it
which native venoms don't. I'm assuming you are talking about lab results in Australia?

Yes, in Australian labs. The clotting induced by the venom causes the blood to use its own clotting mechanisms to clot the blood.

There is huge amounts of scientific research going on regarding the benefits of snake venom properties for future medications to control anything from blood clotting, surgery applications, cancer and even diabettes

There is huge amounts of scientific research going on regarding the benefits of snake venom properties for future medications to control anything from blood clotting, surgery applications, cancer and even diabettes
don't forget all the Neuro diseases as well. Like alzheimers and dementia to name a few.

Russell's Viper is one of my favorite snakes..... Plus it's bite/venom is very different in different places across it's range...Russell's Vipers in India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar (Burma), Indonesia, Taiwan etc etc all have unique/different clinical symptoms that cause different symptoms in a bite. The venom composition varies alot depending on where the snake is from.

Definitely one of my favorite vipers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back