pine chips

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JUNGLE-JAK

Reaction score
im cleaning my snake enclosures today and i need to know if i can use wood chips from pine.i cant use fake grass any more as its to hard to clean, it needed to be glued in multiple peices on the floor of the enclosure.all help apreciated.

Pine chips are fine, I wouldn't use them for terrestrial species though.

critters crumble works for me and smells great, made from coconut husk.

kritter krumble is nasty stuff and has been known to kill

im cleaning my snake enclosures today and i need to know if i can use wood chips from pine.i cant use fake grass any more as its to hard to clean, it needed to be glued in multiple peices on the floor of the enclosure.all help apreciated.
wood chips are a great substrate and depending on what sort of snake you have what sort of wood is appropriate,for instance aspen shavings are highly recommended for childrens python etc.my blue tongue absolutely loves red gum chips

Last edited:
I use paper towel the snakes love it they can get underneath it and it is soo easy clean and cheap

Pine shavings or pine chips can give off large quantities of volatile oils called terpenes. It is generally accepted these are not good for animals in cinfined spaces. Aged chips or shavings or pine bark will not produce anywhere near as much and is therefore acceptable as a substrate.

Large laterite pebbles or large aquarium gravel is great if you want a naturalistic look. Line the bottom of the enclsure with some 200um black plastic, rove the soiled gravel and wipe the plastic and disinfect it before replacing the gravel removed. Soiled gravel is readily cleaned and can then be be reused.

I would also rcommend the coir fibre, either coarse chopped (for mulch) or the fine chopped (potting mix additive). Cheap, safe and many snakes love burrowing under it.

Blue

I'm using kiln dried, dust extracted pine shavings. So far they've been really good:)
I wanted to use coir peat, but I can't figure out how to dry it in large enough quantities. I tried putting it in the oven, but it made the house smell wierd for ages.

what problems did u have with the fake grass?
i use fake grass with all my snakes and find it easy to clean!

never heard of kritter crumble killing any thing! this is new to me!

Also never heard of kritter's crumble killing anything and I will continue recommending it until proven other wise. I use pine chips in my enclosures currently and I quite like it. I agree with not using them for terrestrial species as they don't really like laying on it (in my experience), and I'd go with coir peat or crumble for something softer for them to bury in. Just make sure you let it dry out before putting it in the enclosures.

I found Kritter's Crumble very dusty, used it for a long time, then tried Chipsies Beechwood chips, far better, and my herp's seem to like it much more than crumble. The dust in crumble tends to cause alot of sneezing from the enclosures, and i figured if it blocks airways, could lead to lung infections or impactions if ingested.

just my observations. :)

I wanted to use coir peat, but I can't figure out how to dry it in large enough quantities. I tried putting it in the oven, but it made the house smell wierd for ages.
HaHa! I bet you were popular… NOT!

Get yourself a suitable sized piece of shade cloth. Place the moistened coir on it and then roll it up like you would with a roll your own cigarette. Tie one end of your “shade coth rolly” to a fence or wall or pole or clothes line etc. Then twist the other end. Keep going as it twists over itself and shortens. When you cannot twist it any further, then pull it out as far as you can. This will expel the excess water. It will also allow you to twist it some more. So repeat the procedure until you get to the point that no more moisture can be expelled. If it is still too moist, then open the shade cloth out and pace it on some paving or concrete, spread the coir out and let it dry in the sun until you are happy with it. As the surface layer dries out, rake it with your hand to expose the moister layer underneath. You can also drag it to a dry and warm area of paving or concrete to further facilitate drying.

I shudder to think of the smell of the stuff heated in an oven… sorry, but you have made my night. I am trying hard to stop laughing. AS YET ITS NOT WORKING lol.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back