So upset! Need to vent!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah_m

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my mum had to have her 18yr old cat put down (this was sad but not what I am upset about!).
He couldn't walk and when mum took him to the vet they discovered that he had a broken pelvis, not sure how it happened, but he was put to sleep.

2 hours later she went to bury him only to discover, as she was about to put him in the hole she had just dug, that his body was still warm and he STILL HAD A PULSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By that stage the vet was closed so there was nothing much she could do besides sit with him and wait for him to go on his own. Poor mum was beside herself.

I am so disgusted with the vet she saw. Was going to call them and complain but they are not open til Monday so will have to wait to do this (probably just as well considering how upset I am right now). I could not believe this happened (though I guess occasionally it happens to people too so it shouldn't be such a suprise that it can happen to animals).
But surely they check the animal has gone before sending it home with the owner. Having the animal put to sleep is awful enough but to then find it hasn't even been done right just makes it even worse!!!

Thats bloody terrible. Exceptionally negligent on the vet's behalf.

As cold as this may seem (and I assure you, its not intended), the best thing to do in this position is a quick knock on the head. Hard to do but better for all involved and most of all, the humane option for the cat.

Sorry for you and your mum mate. I have to agree with Beard though.

As cold as this may seem (and I assure you, its not intended), the best thing to do in this position is a quick knock on the head. Hard to do but better for all involved and most of all, the humane option for the cat.

+1

It is a horrible thing to do but it is the most humane in circumstances such as these.

I am incredibly sorry that this happened to your mum, I'd be making some huge complaints to the vets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow that is just disgraceful - no excuse whatsoever.

It's hard enough to make the decision to put down a pet, be there for them in their final moments, let alone going to bury the poor thing and finding it's still alive! I feel for you guys.

Hmm... I would think it was unconscious and not feeling any pain?

Dreadful just the same.

you must follow that up with the vet, absolutely disgusting case of neglegence.

so sorry for the awful situation you and your mum are in, thinking of you.

That is disgusting! I am so sorry for your loss too, made even harder by how long they have been a part of your life. Rest in Peace now little one

Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was apalled by this!
the best thing to do in this position is a quick knock on the head. Hard to do but better for all involved and most of all, the humane option for the cat.

I know, but my mum would not have been able to do it. That would have been my suggestion but I was working at the time and didn't find out about it til today. Actually I probably would have taken it to the 24hr emergency vet for them to put it to sleep properly and then I would have been demanding that the 1st vet cover the high cost of the 2nd vet that had to fix their mistake.
I guess, like with every profession, there are good ones and there are bad ones. Obviously her vet is not very good!

To the OP you have come to the right place to vent your displeasure.
I will not say one thing on this matter as i might become incriminated.

Cheers
Ian

I feel so much sympathy for you all :( it is a terrible thing to have happen.... I am guessing the vet is going to be mortified when you tell them what happened, unfortunately mistakes happen and I can only imagine how rotten they are going to feel. I am not trying to justify the negligence, however I cannot imagine it would happen very often and hopefully this vet will never let it happen again. I hope they offer some sort of apology and assurance they will be more careful in the future. Thoughts with you all
Merle

Oh that's sad, sad news. I'm sorry she had to go through that. The vet should have listened with a stethoscope for over 30 seconds to be sure. Incredibly negligent and very well worth making a complaint. I'm sure, as MoreliaJewels said, they're going to feel terrible. Nobody should have to go through that and I'm sorry for your loss. RIP little fella.

Unfortunately vets do make mistakes, sometimes bordering on negligence..
so sorry for your mum that must have been heartbreaking

Ouch, that's a hell of a lot worse than human error in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of cats but I have seen how attached people become to them (My 2 children absolutely adore them). No pet owner should have to go through that.

OR a quick trip to the emergency vet for another needle to put the cat down.
instead of the last moments you have with your beloved pet being is you cracking it over the head with something.

instead of the last moments you have with your beloved pet being is you cracking it over the head with something.

AND let the cat suffer needlessly for another 1/2 hour?
A decent smack to the head will kill it instantaneously, no more pain, no more suffering.
I am by no means a cat lover, but every animal has the right to a quick, relatively painless death, if it can be facilitated.

But if you find it easier on yourself, get it euthanised at the vet (again) by all means...

None of this was directed at you Sarah, I respect that this has been a very traumatic day for you, so my condolences.

Hi, sorry to hear this.
I've worked at a vet and I can reassure you, your cat wouldn't have been aware of it's predicament. They usually pre-med then administer the anaesthetic so he would have been relaxed I hope.
As far as the negligence - often nurses will do the checking of the heart rate and I've known of a couple of cats and dogs who had a strange cardiac cycle where their heart beat then stopped for quite a while then went again. And it was normal for them and they lived long lives. ,maybe this happened and they caught it on the silent?

I really do not think it would be 'suffering' as people say anaesthetic is an amazing drug and I've seen countless animals be totally unaware with a very light dosage.

Not making excuses for them because if that was just laziness they deserve a knock on their head.
Hope this helps.

Different strokes brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back