Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmadiamond

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have seen a thread about this before but I can't find it lol

what's the go with snakes eating whole eggs?

I know people say it's okay and heaps of people do it, but is there risks of when the shell breaks, can it cause internal damage?

(I'm not going to feed mine them, I'm just curious)

I've never heard of people feeding captive snakes eggs but I have been out of touch with current trends recently.

I couldn't imagine the shell breaking would pose anymore concern than bark etc being ingested whilst eating or partially digested bones moving through the digestive tract.

Last edited:
I've never heard of people feeding captive snakes eggs but I have been out of touch with current trends recently.

I couldn't imagine the shell breaking would post anymore concern than bark etc being ingested whilst eating or partially digested bones moving through the digestive tract.

Yeah good point. I couldn't imagine my snakes ever being tempted by an egg lol. They probably wouldnt even look at it.

haha there are all sorts of weird people out there though
I had a customer come into my work a few days ago and ask if there was a vegetarian food for snakes..***.

Plenty of snakes do it in the wild, so I'm not sure if it would be a huge problem but why take the risk if it is just as easy to get mice/rats?

I had a customer come into my work a few days ago and ask if there was a vegetarian food for snakes..***.

I hope you managed to keep a straight face while telling him you're waiting in a delivery of tufu 'I can't believe it not rat', the laughed hysterically in his face til he was utterly humiliated.

Plenty of snakes do it in the wild, so I'm not sure if it would be a huge problem but why take the risk if it is just as easy to get mice/rats?

Yea but do they prefer cage, barn, freerange or grain eggs?

Lots of species eat bird & chicken eggs in the wild. I have heard of people feeding slug eggs to BHP's before.

I would not say it is frequent but it has been recorded in carpets, scrubbies, bhps and olives. Seem to mostly occur in chook yards that the snake has managed to get into. No doubt there is a strong smell of fowl on the egg and it is warm. As for the egg shell, once the egg breaks it is not going to be a problem as it will be readily crushed and digested.

Blue

This was bought up on a WA forum and a member fed his Stimmie a quail egg as an experiment.
The egg was readily taken and swallowed whole without breaking.
I think it would probably occur with most snakes in the wild when the opportunity presents itself.

lol, they actually do sell vegetarian snake sausages in the US,......poor snakes!!

I hope you managed to keep a straight face while telling him you're waiting in a delivery of tufu 'I can't believe it not rat', the laughed hysterically in his face til he was utterly humiliated.

ive allways thought about trying it to see if they actually go for it! but always forget when its dinner time!
i have a friend who feeds his diamond chicken necks every now and then and he sayd it loves them!

[video=youtube;LLk4rsCNFFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLk4rsCNFFU[/video]

Looks okay to do to me... It amazes me how much bigger meals than themselves Snakes can take.

My old water pythons would take eggs no worries. We had backyard chickens and ducks at the time.
The resulting poo... well ever heard the term "egg fart"?

[video=youtube;LLk4rsCNFFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLk4rsCNFFU[/video]

Looks okay to do to me... It amazes me how much bigger meals than themselves Snakes can take.

Thats probably one of the more strange things I've seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back