What does this sound like to you?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dippy

Reaction score
Ok, so winter is here as we all know and maybe I'm just worrying a little too much... But my adult female children's python has recently gone into shed, and I have been trying out Repti-mist to help her shed. But I've noticed that it's taking longer than usual and the scales across her nose are the only parts that appear to be shedding now, she has also a slight click when she breathes or a small whistle when she breathes heavily when I have picked her up to spray her. Today I put a big enough Systema container with water for her to bath in to see if that loosens up her scales... Is there anything else I can do? And does this seem like loose nostril scales? Or does this sound like an RI?

Snakes often whistle during their shed. They will shed when they're ready, just make sure she has a big water bowl closer to the heat. No need to try and make her do it.

Thanks guys, I'm spraying her once every 24 hours like the bottle says... Does anyone else use this stuff? And like I said it's a medium sized systema container just to the side of her heat ceramic. Hopefully this fixes things...

I just use water but last shed i didnt even spray and shed perfect anyhow i dont think its really needed as long as they have a good water bowl they should be sweet...IMO of course

It's not just water, it's some combination thing. It said it's a skin moisturizing and conditioning spray. It seems somewhat sticky before it dries as well but yeh not too sure what it is

It's not just water, it's some combination thing. It said it's a skin moisturizing and conditioning spray. It seems somewhat sticky before it dries as well but yeh not too sure what it is
Why are you using this "stuff". Does it have, or has it had, a problem shedding? You should'nt have to "help" her shed or use crap like that. Minimal humidity on a WELL FED snake like that should be fine. STOP SPRAYING HER!

You should not need to use any of those products. Problem sheds are symptomatic of another problem. Usually insufficient moisture is the main reason. Pythons will only drink fresh water. If it has been sitting for over a day they will not drink it. So providing fresh drinking water three times a week will allow your python to remain correctly hydrated. It will soak itself in the water bowl if it needs to. Just make sure there a rough surface available for it rub its lips against to break the old skin free of the scales. A branch or two, particular one with a bend in it and a fork, so that it sits stably off the ground, will assist heaps in allowing the snake to rub off it slough. Give the spray a miss and se how you go with just plain water.

Blue

Ok whyme I bought the stuff to see what it was like and if it actually works better than just water as my Bredli has an unhealed scar tissue in his back and it seems to make him shed in several pieces so I thought it may help him. She has never really had any problem with shedding and my question isn't really about the stuff at all but wether or not I need to be worried about the clicks and whistles. So you don't need to be so malicious...

thanks everyone else for their helpful comments, hopefully the sounds stop when she finishes shedding.

i use a wet pillow case with pieces of 80g sand paper. works everytime.

leave the spray product for the garbo. if you must spray, minimal lukewarm water.

"lukewarm bath"

I don't think this would work with my Woma, he seems petrified of the water and takes off in a flight!

But I've heard of the pillow case before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have heard of the pillowcase and the bath wouldn't work for my Bredli either as he is the same as your woma. Soon as he touches water he just takes off lol

Rob Bredl says they're both from arid areas of Australia, (I didn't know) maybe cause of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok whyme I bought the stuff to see what it was like and if it actually works better than just water as my Bredli has an unhealed scar tissue in his back and it seems to make him shed in several pieces so I thought it may help him. She has never really had any problem with shedding and my question isn't really about the stuff at all but wether or not I need to be worried about the clicks and whistles. So you don't need to be so malicious...

thanks everyone else for their helpful comments, hopefully the sounds stop when she finishes shedding.
Didnt mean to come across like that, definately didnt mean to be malicious, sorry:D Is it possible the whistling/clicking started when you started using the spray. Has it stopped since the nostril scales have lifted? Maybe check the nostrils for blockages.

Thankfully she shed her skin last night, I did hear a slight whistle when I picked her up today and there doesnt appear to be any blockages in her nose but the again it could be further towards the back. The clicking has stopped thankfully and the other strange thing I noticed last night was that her neck seemed to bulge out slightly every 10 seconds or so? Kind of like a frog when it breathes. But that too has stopped. Weird?

Thankfully she shed her skin last night, I did hear a slight whistle when I picked her up today and there doesnt appear to be any blockages in her nose but the again it could be further towards the back. The clicking has stopped thankfully and the other strange thing I noticed last night was that her neck seemed to bulge out slightly every 10 seconds or so? Kind of like a frog when it breathes. But that too has stopped. Weird?

Frog in her throat?

Wow...some people get sucked into products...no offence. But snakes in the wild have thrived and survived for millions of years without a nice moisturized spray. Take them out...put them in a bath or the shower with you and your laughing. They are animals...though animals. Those products should only be used as a last resort I personally think.

Yeah like I said it was only bought to help my Bredli to have a full shed including the scales of his scar tissue as that it where it breaks and retains parts of the scales at it heals. But I wont ever use it on a healthy python again lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back