Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite well, I have a cold or some crap. so everytime I start working and bend my head down well I almost pass out it feels like!

But Dispite working much slower then I normally do, I have got my 5x3x2.something something this weekend hopefully. Me and the builder are both a little worried how we are going to get it into the room, forgot the big tank is right in front of the roller door so thank you cold for making me not want to touch cold water and fill her up!!!!

Started cleaning the 8ft today hopefully I can plumb it in a few hours. Then I need to install baffles for the sump which is pretty confusing for salt water. maybe because its a 7ft sump :S

Only other issue is my 2 skimmers cant handle the water vol if I include the sumps water vol so I need another one. Should have the first 8ft filled and salt added by tonight so I can move my live rock over and shut down the 4ft tank.

i love this thread aha it has made me want fish again as i dont have my old tanks i just gone and got a little tank for my desk in my room as not allowed big ones :( so i will post pics of it coming together

No I havent used aquasoil as I had to set the tank up spur of the moment, I will prob add it little by little over time as I dont want the water to spike but I will be using it in the new set up as I have time to cycle it properly.

img0349gm.jpg

I finally got to bunnings today and got myself a diamond drill bit and some of the plumbing for the new set up so if I get time tomorrow Ill start that as well.

I cant remember the name of the plant, Ill find that out tomorrow as well.

Oh and the black widows are in so Ill take a pic.

I finally picked up a little flowerhorn on the weekend & my convicts eggs hatched so lot's of little pink convicts soon:rolleyes:. As soon as I can get a decent pic of the flowerhorn I will post it up.

pick up jardini saratoga tomorow woot so pm me if your chasing a fingerling sized one in brisbane or around there took me ages to find some lol

Sent from my iPhone

My toga smacked into the tank lid last week. I think he's given himself a brain injury. After spending days in one spot on the bottom of the tank he's now cruising again but doesn't seem to see anything. He bumps into things and hasn't eaten since the episode.

my msyes old one acted like it was blind had no trouble finding food tho try flicking the water he used to do that and hed dmash what every pellets and insect fish ect was nearest

hopefully mines not too keen on jumping lol but i some how doubt that for some reason

Sent from my iPhone

31b044c0-9d64-d258.jpg

in its temp home till tomorow i had a few problems setting tank up earlyer its with a bunch of sword tails atm been eyeing off some freshwater ray pups for $350

if theres any left when i get payed sgain or the diesel from my patrol sells il grab one for sure just gotta find out what they are specifically so im more in the no and then full steam ahead

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
be careful with freshwater rays, they are not super easy to keep plus they require a tank thats more wide then tall I.E 4x4x1 or so

they take a while to grow tho dont they???

figure will be a way better bottom feeder then a tandanus(which i swear has been spiking some of my other fish i think)

i can always upgrade to a nice wide tank tho thats not a problem haha i wouldnt mind having an excuse to have a nice big tank haha

Sent from my iPhone

yes they are not fast growing fish but easily stressed and require special attention. a 6x2x2 will last 1 year give or take depending on the size of the ray then they require 4ft wide. these fish need space to swim not so much height and they cant be in a tank with a jardini etc.

The freshwater ray was able to redevelop its body-organs to work from salt to fresh which results in producing 3x + the amount of a ammonia a normal fish would produce in a day. This requires much higher filtration and adequate water changes. do the math of a 24 inch fish producing ammonia then x this by 3-4 and you get the least level of ammonia a ray will put out at a much smaller size. Fish can also handle poor water quality much much better then rays.

I dont mean to be rude but you really must understand rays before going out and buying one, its not fair on the ray to surfer. too many people go out buying them without understanding anything then wonder why they keep ending up dead after a month. yes they are amazing creatures to keep but you have to understand what they require to show this to you otherwise lots of money will be wasted and possibly a very impressive creature will end up dead.

and you think i wasnt gunna sus out there requirements and what they require ect first before spending more then half a weeks wages on something???

and beleive me when i say there gunna have enough room for a long while yet

Sent from my iPhone

A mate of mine has 6 of those freshwater rays in a 5000litre round aquaculture tank, look great in their gliding around. Got them as pups & last time I saw them they were 40cm across. Think I'm due for another visit.

yeah thats what i was thinking of putting them in later on the way i see it iv got about a year before it outgrows the tank

would mind having a few they look good a mate also mentioned making a big tank out of pool fence glass pannels from bunnings aswell lol because they come in 4x4 foot pannels lol but i was more thinking of building a ply tank with a glass or acrylic front pane like they do in the us

epuldnt mind having a go at breeding them tho later on

Sent from my iPhone

Just trying to help... I never said your an idiot and shouldn't get one? sorry if I came across the wrong way was not my goal just wanted to make you aware that keeping a ray requires a lot more work then keeping a fish.

a year they will last in anything 2x2 at baby size. in regards to your diy tank, I would aim more for a pool from big w etc line it with heavy duty pond liner and use the pump they provide to power a diy bucket or office stacker filter in the center of the unit or build a stand and sit it beside the pool. you get better bang for your buck and being rays they are more viewed from above over time you can get them eating from your hand also which will allow you to see them as in a tank.

plywood tanks are great too, I was keen on doing one myself but my friend who did it told me they are worth it money wise but stress and time wise can be a real pita! also mentioned if you do it go big as it works out cheaper, the worst part is sealing it. another option is fiber glass costs a few 100$ more less work and will last longer.

yeah sorta thinking about scraping the ply tank idea for that reason either way in 12 months who nows were il be in life but deffinatly get something going for em

im sure il come up with something nice and easy to msintain thats also pretty bloody big

Sent from my iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back