help! red and purple tail on my diamond python...?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blooddiamond

Reaction score
I have a diamond python around 1-2 years old. I have taken him out recently and his tail is showing red and purple in the white sections. When I look up under his body he has red flecks thru his scales. It doesnt look normal and I'm worried his tail is actually broken but I am unsure how he has done it himself. My main concern is its something more serious...?
i dont know how well you can see the pic i have inserted but that is what it looks like. Then the red continues in patches up his underbelly, unfortunately the photo of his belly isnt clear and you cant quite see the marks. however the tail is very red and purple :( any advice on what it is or what i should do wouold be great
photo_5.JPG

photo_3.JPG

Just re-reading your post, you say the tail may be broken? Is it still prehensile?

Jamie

Is he still using it? It does look like brusing to me maybe just make his enclosure so he cant climb for a few day maybe see if any change. Or just take a trip to the vet

he shed about 2-3 weeks ago. Your right i haven't noticed pinkish flushing on his tail (only milky eyes). I am just concerned about the deep purple colour that seems to be there. I will wait a few days to see if hes shedding again (i really hope hes not growing that quick!)
Thanks jamie

he doesnt seeem to be using it at all, and to me it feels floppy and hes not coiling it around my fingers but i could be being an over protective mother. If it is broken is there much taking him to the vet will do?

Last edited:
Actually, despite my first post, which I edited out after a bit of consideration, any loss of mobility is a cause for concern, especially if the animal isn't coiling normally as well. If you can get it to a reptile-savvy vet, I'd probably be inclined to do that. I'm not one to recommend rushing off to the vet for anything that's not obvious, because a vet can't usually tell you much without a big pathology workup if the symptoms aren't obvious, but in this case there may be something else going on.

It is definitely going into a shed cycle again though, and this isn't especially unusual so soon after the last one - a few snakes I've had can shed almost back-to-back sometimes for no apparent reason.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, despite my first post, which I edited out after a bit of consideration, any loss of mobility is a cause for concern, especially if the animal isn't coiling normally as well. If you can get it to a reptile-savvy vet, I'd probably be inclined to do that. I'm not one to recommend rushing off to the vet for anything that's not obvious, because a vet can't usually tell you much without a big pathology workup if the symptoms aren't obvious, but in this case there may be something else going on.

It is definitely going into a shed cycle again though, and this isn't especially unusual so soon after the last one - a few snakes I've had can shed almost back-to-back sometimes for no apparent reason.

Jamie

What sorts of times is back to back? within days or weeks? I think that would have freaked me out, i had no idea they could do that?

one of my womas shed every 2 weeks from only 2 feeds 4 times in a row , freaked me out but i was still in contact with the breeder and she assured me it was reasonably normal and she had one from the same clutch doing the same thing

i live in the country so 'reptile savvy' isnt one of my luxuries. But i think i may take a trip down to adel with him tomorrow and get him looked at... if you know of any that are good with reptiles in sa could you pm me? poor little boy hasnt needed a visit yet.
I was concerned about it being something a little more serious needed to be sure it wasnt something obvious that I should have known about.
Thanks for ur time jamie

What sorts of times is back to back? within days or weeks? I think that would have freaked me out, i had no idea they could do that?

My Diamond shed 3 times within the first month that I had her.
She sheds normally nowadays, though.

I have an 8yo GTP which sheds about once a month - two weeks going into shed, then 2 weeks normal... and the cycle starts all over again. I have had others, especially younger animals, shed their skin then become milky again within a week. Shedding is a growth thing, and I guess hormonally activated, so just like humans, some are more "hormonal" than others :).

No worries Bd, glad to help, and I hope things resolve themselves in due course.

Jamie

thought i would let you know that i took him to the vet that night in adel and he has an infection... hes on antibiotics (injection - I'm so glad my diamond is the biggest chiller) and bathing every day... his tail doesnt look so horrible now but the pinkness is spreading... he did eat a few days ago though and is finally out of his hide. The vet told me not to worry just yet... so i hope he improves as he only has one more injection to go.
Thanks everyone for their help! <3

...a few snakes I've had can shed almost back-to-back sometimes for no apparent reason.
Jamie

What does it mean, "shed back to back"?
Thanks. Ric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Havent read all the comments so sorry if its already been said but it could be possible that the basking spot has gotten too hot,depends though whether you use a lamp or heat mat? If you use a meat mat it could possibly be the cause...

could the redness be from scale rot as in dampness ? which would cause a skin infection ?

could the redness be from scale rot as in dampness ? which would cause a skin infection ?

I've seen Blueys get exactly the same thing due to cold & wet conditions....... cold is never a drama but the combination of cold & wet will cause this. Considering we are in winter I'd be sure its the same thing...... I have rectified it with Baytril however.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back