Growing at the right rate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Python-Lover4lyf

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a hypo bredli juvie which was born on the 19th of February this year. I aquired him on the 31st of March when he was about 45cm, had had 5 feeds (1 pinkie mouse per feed) and had shed once. His first shed with me was on the 12/05/12 and hasn't shed again since however he is in shed atm and his eyes have just cleared up so he should shed any day now. My concern is that from what I've picked up is that juvies growing at the right rate should shed every 5-7 weeks and it's been 9-10 weeks since his first shed with me. He's grown 25cm (10 inches) since I've had him and his feed records since he's been in my care follow ...

05/04/12 - 2 pinkie mice
11/04/12 - 2 pinkie mice
18/04/12 - 2 pinkie mice
24/04/12 - 1 pinkie rat
01/05/12 - 1 pinkie rat
06/05/12 - 1 pinkie rat
12/05/12 - 1 pinkie rat
17/05/12 - 1 pinkie rat
22/05/12 - 1 pinkie rat
27/05/12 - 1 pinkie rat
02/06/12 - 1 pinkie rat
08/06/12 - 1 weiner mouse
13/06/12 - 1 weiner mouse
18/06/12 - 1 weiner mouse
23/06/12 - 1 weiner mouse
28/06/12 - 1 weiner mouse
03/07/12 - 1 weiner mouse
08/07/12 - 1 weiner mouse
13/07/12 - 1 weiner mouse

Each feed I've given him at the time has left a noticeable lump. Anywayz so my question is ... Is he growing at the right rate or am I just overthinking this?

P.s Sorry for dragging on the post I just want to provide as much information as possible. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:
Up the food. Or better still give him something worth while. Velvet mouse or (prefered) pinkie rat :) Better for them and for your bank :)

When I gave my snakes pinkie rats their grow increase dramatically over a period of 4 months or so...was quite amazing actually!

Thats all I could suggest however. I only have 4 snakes...there are people on here who have more experience!

There's really no "right" rate - growth is dependent on the amount of food supplied. By this stage I'd cut feeding back to every 7-10 days, and continue at that rate for a year or two, then a good sized meal about every 2 weeks as it approaches adulthood.

I'll add, after reading the previous post, that "dramatic" growth may not be a good thing - I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and the previous poster has a point about the food size, I'd increase the size as suggested, and decrease the frequency to that stated.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple answer is, yes you are overthinking it. I do as Jamie suggests and have beautiful, healthy snakes.

There's really no "right" rate - growth is dependent on the amount of food supplied. By this stage I'd cut feeding back to every 7-10 days, and continue at that rate for a year or two, then a good sized meal about every 2 weeks as it approaches adulthood.

I'll add, after eading the previous post, that "dramatic" growth may not be a good thing - I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and the previous poster has a point about the food size, I'd increase the size as suggested, and decrease the frequency to that stated.

Jamie

I was comparing to the previous 4 months on pinkie mice in comparison to 4 months on Pinkie rats (which the snakes were fed only once every 8-10 days). Whilst they are smaller the growth increase is more significant and noticeble obviously in comparison to when they are older. Plus the nutricional content of a pinkie rat is superb to that of a pinkie mouse...or so we have been told :p
I was not powerfeeding or anything as my original post may have implied:)

Oh and don't stress next winter if it doesn't feed at all. My babies are only 19 months old and have not fed in 3-4 months!

No problem Skelhorn, I didn't think you were :)! I actually didn't take note of the food animals in the original post, and you're quite right... a bredli of that age should be getting larger food than weaner mice, hence my edit!

Jamie:)

up the food? weiner mice are big and leave a very noticeable lump. Next I was going to get a pack of 5 or ten velvet rats ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back