getting a new snake out of ita enclosure..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no harm in it, the gloves will protect you and there is no harm for the snake ;)

Last edited:
Have the same problem with my new jungle mate & was also thinking of using gloves :) What type of gloves would be best though???

Just garden gloves are fine. I used socks once but they catch there scales on the threads which makes em bit more so dont use them

Just man up and grab it. Words of wisdom I was given on here regarding mine. You will learn how to move quickly if it does try to grab you. I think hooking them out is a better way fwiw

I don't think gloves are ever a good idea. You must learn to handle your snakes properly, and to do this you need to understand their behaviour. If it looks like it's going to bite you, tap it on the nose gently with a rolled up sheet of newspaper, when it retreats from this, just reach in & pick it up. 99% of the time, bites are caused by lack of confidence and especially hesitation, which gives the snake the advantage. You can put it off guard by doing the above. Wearing gloves will possibly prevent you being bitten on the hands, but it also leaves you nowhere to go in your relationship with your reptile.

Having written that, there seems to be a heap of novices here expressing their frustration lately with Jungle Pythons... is it me, or does it seem strange that a lot of new keepers are starting out with one of the more frisky varieties of Carpet Python when one of the more laid back species would be better suited to a novice?

Jamie

I started with jungles. Wasn't much of an issue until a bit of retained shed just behind the head. That's when it became an issue. Confidence and not being scared to have a couple of small puncture wounds is what is needed I think

I don't think gloves are ever a good idea. You must learn to handle your snakes properly, and to do this you need to understand their behaviour. If it looks like it's going to bite you, tap it on the nose gently with a rolled up sheet of newspaper, when it retreats from this, just reach in & pick it up. 99% of the time, bites are caused by lack of confidence and especially hesitation, which gives the snake the advantage. You can put it off guard by doing the above. Wearing gloves will possibly prevent you being bitten on the hands, but it also leaves you nowhere to go in your relationship with your reptile.

Having written that, there seems to be a heap of novices here expressing their frustration lately with Jungle Pythons... is it me, or does it seem strange that a lot of new keepers are starting out with one of the more frisky varieties of Carpet Python when one of the more laid back species would be better suited to a novice?

Jamie

i am confident and have always handled my reptiles bare hands, im in the process right now with my brothers carpet cause he's to much of a girl to do it himself. it bites me all the time but its just a little fella so its no problems. but my jungle is a different story, the only reason i want to use gloves is because its not just little bites to the hand, it actually gets a hold of me and wraps aroound for about 15 minutes before it lets go. by the way its not my first snake.

cheers for your advice though.

I started with jungles. Wasn't much of an issue until a bit of retained shed just behind the head. That's when it became an issue. Confidence and not being scared to have a couple of small puncture wounds is what is needed I think

im fine with small puncture wounds, my brothers carpet bites me all the time.

i am confident and have always handled my reptiles bare hands, im in the process right now with my brothers carpet cause he's to much of a girl to do it himself. it bites me all the time but its just a little fella so its no problems. but my jungle is a different story, the only reason i want to use gloves is because its not just little bites to the hand, it actually gets a hold of me and wraps aroound for about 15 minutes before it lets go. by the way its not my first snake.

Probably hungry

If its latching and coiling for 15 mins it's not a defensive thing. Seems to me it's hungry. Only ever had 1 of mine coil and that's my fault as I was handling rats beforehand.

My 7 ft diamond only leaves small puncture wounds too

If its latching and coiling for 15 mins it's not a defensive thing. Seems to me it's hungry. Only ever had 1 of mine coil and that's my fault as I was handling rats beforehand.

My 7 ft diamond only leaves small puncture wounds too

it had its last feed on friday. i think it was a mitake cause i did forget to wash my hands after feeding my other snakes but the next time i get it out i will use gloves just to be sure.. if all it does is strikes ill be happy to hold it bare.

it had its last feed on friday. i think it was a mitake cause i did forget to wash my hands after feeding my other snakes but the next time i get it out i will use gloves just to be sure.. if all it does is strikes ill be happy to hold it bare.
id bet my left nut it was a feeding response then

im so worried about getting bitten as i am about the poor little snakes teeth getting caught in fabric. (im dealing with a feistly little boy atm)
i use 2 bits of paper towel, tucked into my sleeve, 1 covering my hand, the other covering my sleeves so theres no risk of stuck teeth..

Use a hook! I learned to use a hook to get my 5mth old jungle out and works a treat every time :) seems that a huge hand is to much for them lol just stroke or tap it gently on the nek or part of the body (never the head) then lift it out with the hook and have it glide over your other hand. Tip1: never bring your hand front on towards them just bring it up under the belly :)
Tip2: if you can try using something to destract the snake befor bringin your hand up to take it off the hook, when I lift mine outa its small tank under my other bigger tank she gets destracted by the big tank and try's to stretch out to it witch gives me the perfect opertunity to bring my hand under her and off the hook then walla she's In my hands and usual calms down pritty quick.
Finally tip3: Neva grab them from above when handling to reposition them mine seemed to hate it and would freek out and almost launch off my arm, just try to direct it insted. My jungle is only 5mths old and it's only taken roughly a month to get her perfect so good luck with yours :).. And hope this novel helped! Haha! :-/

My hook broke well some little miss broke it hands it is, read the snake determine wats best...

Probably a stupid question but just wanted to know if it would be okay to get my new jungle out with gloves on?

A lot of damage can be done to a snake if it bites you and while it retains its grip you pull away, this can be made so much worse if its tail is wrapped around something in the enclosure.
To try and suppress the evolutionary instinct to pull away is virtually impossible for me, for this reason I always wear gloves if I am handling a nippy snake. I don't see being bitten as a writes of passage into the world of snake keeping. The only Tag I enjoy is the one I wear on my wrist.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back