getting a new snake out of ita enclosure..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't there be just as much, if not more risk of tooth damage with a glove on? It's not about manning up it's about approaching the snake in a way that it can be comfortable enough with you not to think you're trying to hurt it. I started with a glove but the snake never settled down untill I got rid of it, and the only time it's ever tried to bite me was with the glove on.

The hook works best in my opinion, It lets the snake know it's not food time & you're not being aggressive with it. And broken hooks? Mine is solid stainless steel I would be worried if he could even bend it hehe

Does anyone have a vid on how to pick up a snake out of the enclosure for the first time, either with a hook or just the normal way?

I'm getting an adult MD Python in a few weeks who is reportedly very placid etc, but I have never picked one up from an enclosure, always had snakes handed to me to hold. You gotta start somewhere I guess! :p

Just man up and grab it. Words of wisdom I was given on here regarding mine. You will learn how to move quickly if it does try to grab you. I think hooking them out is a better way fwiw

My wise words of wisdom when i got my first jungle was man up and let it bite you to get rid of the fear. I think this was the best advice i could have gotten as now i have no problem with it. My jungle is still a little snappy but the little fella is calming down just nicely.

You must learn to handle your snakes properly, and to do this you need to understand their behaviour. If it looks like it's going to bite you, tap it on the nose gently with a rolled up sheet of newspaper, when it retreats from this, just reach in & pick it up.

Having written that, there seems to be a heap of novices here expressing their frustration lately with Jungle Pythons... is it me, or does it seem strange that a lot of new keepers are starting out with one of the more frisky varieties of Carpet Python when one of the more laid back species would be better suited to a novice?

Jamie

Thanks for the advice about the newspaper. I didn't know about that trick. I am only a novice my self. I have 2 snakes i have my beautiful jungle and i have a beautiful bredli. I chose my jungle because of its beautiful colours and pattern. I also know of a few other novice reptile keepers that choose there jungles for the same reason. I am also alot more comfortable with my jungle because my partner also has a jungle and i have been around that one since it was a Hatchie. So i guess that helps a bit.

I only wanted gloves on because when i first got it out it coiled around and wouldnt let go for 15 minutes, i know it was my fault for that because i forgot to wash my hands after feeding my other carpet pythons but i wanted to be 100% sure and now that i am sure ive been holding it bare hand.

I only wanted gloves on because when i first got it out it coiled around and wouldnt let go for 15 minutes, i know it was my fault for that because i forgot to wash my hands after feeding my other carpet pythons but i wanted to be 100% sure and now that i am sure ive been holding it bare hand.

Know what you mean, I am fine up until fourteen minutes but that fifteenth minute is the killer.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

so i got him out today, hands was clean and i havent handled or fed any of my other reptiles. so i get him out, got a few strikes but that wasn't a problem but after having him out for about 5 minutes he bit me then coiled around my arm again, this time it was over 20 minutes before he let go. has anyone had this problem before?

Glad to be of assistance :)
Okay, I get that someone new to snakes asks (seemingly) stupid and probably annoying questions, but how else are you meant to learn?
I'm reading up on all aspects of care before I get my python, but thought I'd jump in and ask while there was a thread about it.

Forgot that you guys were born knowing it all. ;)

Last edited:
You posted in different parts to make sure you get responses and you've gotten responses ;) Evidently just a thread on the issue would have sufficed.

Pythons which bite and wrap are HUNGRY! Pythons which bite and retreat are DEFENSIVE! Simple rule and 99% accurate.

Dab the snake's gums with a cotton bud dipped in metho, mouthwash or vinegar and it should let go pretty smartly. Or put it's head under cold running water.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back