Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mareebapython

Reaction score
so i got my 15 month old jungle python out today, hands was clean and i havent handled or fed any of my other reptiles. so i get him out, got a few strikes but that wasn't a problem but after having him out for about 5 minutes he bit me then coiled around my arm again, this time it was over 20 minutes before he let go. this is now the second time that has happend to me. :? has anyone had this problem before and if so how long did it last and is there anything to stop it from happening?

I've never had one of these sort of bites before but I am fairly sure it's called a feeding bite (I may be wrong). I think the thing you're meant to do in such cases is run some water over the snake and he will let go. :)

Def a feed bite, they dont want to let go because they can still feel your pulse. I think it is hungry, we have a tempramental female coastal who does this (without the bite) when she is hungry. She only does it once a fortnight but it is every fortnight so we feed her and she is fine to handle after that.

+1 on the feed. It's telling you it's ready for an upsize of mouse/rat or at the very least feed it more than one. My Mac did something similar to me a couple of months after I got him, I gently prised him off rather than trying the mouthwash/metho etc method. I upsized his food and the only tags I have gotten since were quick strikes because I startled him... like when I hadn't realised he fell asleep on my leg and I put my hand near his face to get him to slither up that arm.

he isn't due for a feed yet though, he had one on friday. i think its called weemice that he eats? & was told from the guy at scales & tails that it will be around the end of the year that he moves upto adult mice.. does that sound right?

i did run water over him but that didn't work. :?

Just because you say he isn't due for a feed doesn't mean he isn't hungry. He's clearly hungry. Feed him more if you want him to stop.

If the mice you're feeding still make a nice bulge, even two or three of them will suffice. Unless they're ridiculously big compared to the snake then it should be fine.

Weaner mice at 15 months old sound too small. Unless your jungle is very small for its age it would take multiple adult mice very easily, and could take bigger rats.

How ofren are you feeding and what size food items?
At 15 months old I would be feeding him every 7-10 days and Adult Mice are probably too small. My almost 6 month old Jungle could probably take Adult Mice if I let it. On Fuzzies at the moment, every five days, and once it's shed I'll try Weaners.

How ofren are you feeding and what size food items?
At 15 months old I would be feeding him every 7-10 days and Adult Mice are probably too small. My almost 6 month old Jungle could probably take Adult Mice if I let it. On Fuzzies at the moment, every five days, and once it's shed I'll try Weaners.

think there called weemice. im going to go back and see what he says about giving it adult mice.

Weaner mice at 15 months old sound too small. Unless your jungle is very small for its age it would take multiple adult mice very easily, and could take bigger rats.

he is small, my 7 month old carpet python is bigger then him.

What kind of other Carpet? A Jungle is a Carpet too just so you know.
Just different subspecies.

Having said that though. comparing my Inland Carpet / Murray Darling who is 6 and a bit months old (that will get to 2.4 - 2.7m when fully grown) to my Jungle that is almost 6 months old (that will get to about 2m when fully grown). The MD is thicker but not by that much.

I usually go by how much girth a Snake has to guage appropriate food size, not length. Depends what you mean by 'small' though.

Last edited:
What kind of other Carpet? A Jungle is a Carpet too just so you know.
Just different subspecies.

Having said that though. comparing my Inland Carpet / Murray Darling who is 6 and a bit months old (that will get to 2.4 - 2.7m when fully grown) to my Jungle that is almost 6 months old (that will get to about 2m when fully grown). The MD is thicker but not by that much.

u mean by 'small' though.

its a mareeba carpet. and yes i know that a jungle is a carpet, just faster to say carpet instead of mareeba carpet.

the jungle is abit under two foot and the mareeba carpet is abit over 2.5 foot but the jungle does have a little bit bigger head and girth.

morelia spilota isn't a subspecies. It's all good and well to deal with species and localities, but unfortunately we currently have subspecies (cheynei for jungles, mcdowelli for coastals, etc). Mareeba is is up near Cairns, so I'm guessing it's a jungle (cheynei).

morelia spilota isn't a subspecies. It's all good and well to deal with species and localities, but unfortunately we currently have subspecies (cheynei for jungles, mcdowelli for coastals, etc). Mareeba is is up near Cairns, so I'm guessing it's a jungle (cheynei).

im heaps confused about it. to me it looks just like a Morelia spilota variegata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back