Outdoor enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chalky77

Hi
Im looking at making 3 outdoor enclosures, one for bluetongues, one for bearded dragons and one for turtles but i was just wondering what height the fencing around the enclosures should be? im guessing it should be different heights for each enclosure? Lower for bluetongues and higher for beardies?
Thanks

I've seen plenty of people have all three together but yeah if your right. I had my beardies in a pit with walls 1meter high but I had a dog to keep out of there. I would say nothing less the 60cm with wall that can't be climbed.

Our outdoor pits are 1m high, unless for monitors and they are fully enclosed. You can easily keep blue tongues, turtles and bear dies together, we actually even have our water dragons in the put too.....it's large enough for all, has a concreted pond (rough finish and gentle sloping edges), plenty of hiding spots and a number of climbing spots too.....if done properly it makes a great looking enclosure with the animals all moving around in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies
The pond Im Planning for the turtles will be of various depths (most of it being 60-120cm deep) so I was worried about the bluetongues drowning but if i was to make the edges of the pond shallow would it be suitable for blueys and shinglebacks aswell? The other thing Im worried about is that im away over summer a fair bit so if im away and for example the blueys give birth or some eggs hatch that werent found, whats the chance of the other adults eating the new born blueys/hatchlings?

Whatever you choose to go with, I'd definitely second making it fully enclosed. Not to keep the critters in, but to keep predators (especially cats) out. It'd be awful to go through all that to make it only to have the pit cleaned out in a couple of nights by local cats.

If you have plenty of hides they should be fine, make sure the pond is rough finish with sloping edges for animals to easily exit. Have Ag pipe drainage throughout to prevent flooding, also an overflow for the pond during wet weather!

I keep my blues, beardies and turtles all together in a outdoor pit. the height is roughly a 1 meter high. They all get along fine, i have heaps of hide box and hollow logs for each of them to hide in and get away from each other.

Thanks for all the replies and advice
Ive decided to go with a fence 90cm high with mesh over the top and bricks or something similar dug into the ground under the fence and heaps of drainage
Does this sound right?

I don't keep animals outside but I reckon heatcord under some of the substrate and 4-5 hides would work. Just ensure you provide additional heating and it should be fine.

dont forget to put protection over them to prevent birds of prey and cats from being able to get to them

i guess so, so long as nothing can fit thru the squares, remember in most cases if a cat can get his head thru the rest of the body usually follows, ive got a whole enclosure for outdoors made with the small bird aviary wire thats suppose to be mouse proof as well, mind u my outdoor one is just a wood/wire 'chook house' from ebay, below is a link to my thread about it

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/chook-coop-188013/

To stop birds of prey we use high visibility cord across the enclosure, we don't worry about foxes or cats as our dogs deal with them. In terms of mesh for enclosures there is a product called snake and mouse mesh, eliminates all unwanted visitors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back