New Hatchling Lizard - Eating Problem - Help Please - Southern Angle Head Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pebbles

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi i have a 2 week old southern angle head dragon (late clutch) it had its first feed of only 2 crickets at 6 days old then 2 more at 8 days and then 1 cricket the following day. It has now been a week since he has last ate and is really skinny (can see his ribs and bones in the legs) he is still very active and jumps around. He watchs the food but won't eat. I know it is the middle of winter but his cage is kept warm and he is drinking. Any help on getting him to eat would be much appreciated as i dont want to force feed him as i have had trouble getting lizards to eat by themselves after being hand feed. This baby was the strongest fattest baby i have ever hatched when born and dont like seeing him so skinny now.

Advice please also i offer baby and small crickets each day to him.

Thanks in advance Emma

anyone???

Last edited:
The only thing I could probably suggest, which was advice I was given for my girl (she is a Beardie though) is to up the temps a bit more, what exactly are your temps? Do you have a thermostat etc etc?
My girl has slowed down with what she is eating, she has been eating her buk choy and other vegies but has gone off her woodies/crickets/mealworms but is starting to come back on to them. She just decided to brumate herself, even though she had high temps.

Sometimes it is just instinct for them to Brumate, however if he is skinny, really try to bring him out of it, as I lost my young beardie due to him being poor of health and brumating.
Anyway as I said, up the temps, make sure fresh vegies are still supplied, keep trying to feed crickets.

Good luck and let us know how he goes :)

Hi thanks for your reply the cage is all properly set up and heated. He is active just wont eat and getting skinner im stumped and dont know what to do as i havent had this problem with hatchljngs before my only guess is thst it is the wrong time of year.
Anyone else have any advice?

rip the legs off the crickets and leave them in the container the dragon may not be settled in yet and may like a bit privacy to do his thing

I have a young SAHD, (3 months) and when I first got him he wouldnt eat anything, my temps were sitting around 23*c then I upped the temps to around 28-29*c and since then he has been eating and growing like a champ. I also put a small bowl of crickets in and left him for a while, they were gone when I returned home that afternoon. One other thing is these dragons are known to sulk because of lack of privacy, what you can do is wrap a towel around the enclosure (I did this also). This will make it so they feel more secure if your walking past the enclosure a lot.

Let me know how you go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back