two females together.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mareebapython

Reaction score
Me and my brother both have a female mareeba carpet python, mines just a bit bigger but there from the same clutch. anyways, we are thinking about keeping them in the same enclosure? Would that be okay or...

If you want to keep them together then feed them outside the tank, get them used to that and they will realise food won't come into their tank, only handling. Difficult temperaments or not, snakes are habitual and can be trained to a degree when they are pets. Make sure that both are close to being the same size, and because both are Jungles then its ok with tank conditions. The primary thing is to feed them elsewhere, some carpets can be kept together but don't feed them in the same tank, it can lead to you getting bitten more often if the animal is trying to decide if food is coming or handling is coming, and if the animals are left alone with one peice of food between two animals (don't do this anyway) then harm could come to either.

Personally, I would never recommend keeping them together, and, especially in your case, where its obvious (no disrespect) that you are not very experienced.
Some keepers do keep pythons together all year round. Some of these keepers have not come to grief yet, luckily.
Those keepers believe they are doing all the right things to keep their animals safe, feeding separately, watching for little clues that there may be a problem.
In my opinion, the inexperienced are ill-equipped to be aware of any issues, and the first sign they get that there is a problem, is when they have one, or no pythons alive.

I just feel that setting up another enclosure is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

It's NEVER a good idea to keep pythons together, and especially so if you have little experience, or don't understand what triggers the various behaviours a python exhibits.

I have no doubt that if you do this, you will experience a bag of trouble.

Jamie

imo jungles are typically nervous snakes and are prone to stress (especially when younger). I'd be hesitant in increasing stress in any fashion with this species of snake.

After alot of research and thinking last night i have decided theres no way there going together, the chance of one (or both) of them being injured or killled is way to hight. thanlks for the advice everyone.

I always like to point people to an article in Scales & Tails, by the venerable Peter Krauss - one of the most experienced keepers in the country, about an experience he had with a pair of Olive Pythons housed in the same enclosure... If it can happen to PK, it can happen to anyone x 2.

Not sure of the issue (mine are in boxes & no time), but maybe someone here can tell you which issue.

Good move anyway :)

Jamie

You got that article on digital P.I.?

Personally I've never had a problem with putting two animals together for short periods of time that is, but my experience is only carpets, I don't have Olives and don't intend on getting them, nor do I want to get Antaresias or Asperidites either, but I'd like to beleive that people can take into account their own animals and their individual temperaments also, because even within a certain species all animals have indiviudal temperaments, that are not the norm. Sure I take notice of what the experts say but I've also got my own experiences to take note of too, one of my animals individual attitudes may be very different to the next person, who has the same animal and its the same age yet a very different temperament. Sure Mareeba has two Jungles, but they may be very indifferent to each other and may end up being housed together wonderfully despite a Jungles inherant temperament. No I'm not encouraging them to house them together despite the decision they've made, but they do also need to look at their individual animals also. If it is something that is short term till they can get another tank, then let them make that decision, they don't need to tell us about it, but just be open minded as well as take the experts words into account and also your own observations.

I always like to point people to an article in Scales & Tails, by the venerable Peter Krauss - one of the most experienced keepers in the country, about an experience he had with a pair of Olive Pythons housed in the same enclosure... If it can happen to PK, it can happen to anyone x 2.

Jamie the article you refer to is 'Scales & Tails Australia' Issue 10 (March 2010) titled 'Battle of the Titans'
Its a good read :)

After alot of research and thinking last night i have decided theres no way there going together, the chance of one (or both) of them being injured or killled is way to hight. thanlks for the advice everyone.

Good on you for actually making a reasoned decision which takes into account the evidence you've found/been offered, and actually seeking advice rather than just looking to back up a decision you've already made. There doesn't seem to be all that much of it around here, unfortunately...

It is a good read Michelle, thanks for that. My rule of thumb about this matter is that if someone has to ask if it's OK, they don't know enough about snakes and they should not do it. I too occasionally put snakes together for short periods of time, but it's never a convenient long-term prospect. With any animals, we should expect the unexpected, and always err on the side of caution. I certainly don't sit in front of a shared enclosure to ensure there is no conflict, and it's very likely that if there is, you will miss it and it will be too late. Even if death isn't the outcome, pythons can severely lacerate cagemates - check out some of the pics in Dr Richard Ross's Husbandry of Pythons & Boas...

Jamie

When I first read the tittle of the thread i got a bit excited :lol:
When i started reading the thread.......well.....:facepalm:

It is a good read Michelle, thanks for that. My rule of thumb about this matter is that if someone has to ask if it's OK, they don't know enough about snakes and they should not do it. I too occasionally put snakes together for short periods of time, but it's never a convenient long-term prospect. With any animals, we should expect the unexpected, and always err on the side of caution. I certainly don't sit in front of a shared enclosure to ensure there is no conflict, and it's very likely that if there is, you will miss it and it will be too late. Even if death isn't the outcome, pythons can severely lacerate cagemates - check out some of the pics in Dr Richard Ross's Husbandry of Pythons & Boas...

Jamie[/QUOTE

that isn't the beat rule.. a good way to learn is to ask. its much better people asking then going ahead and doing the wrong thing.

Jamie[/QUOTE

that isn't the beat rule.. a good way to learn is to ask. its much better people asking then going ahead and doing the wrong thing.

Of course asking is often the only way to learn, and I have commended you on the fact that you did just that mp, (for what a commendation from me is worth lol!). I hope you got a bit more insight into the questions you raised, from the responses you received. There's lots to learn matey - I've been at it for decades (learning that is...) and still continue to observe new & interesting things. You will find that your observations are easier to interpret as you go along and absorb more knowledge.

Jamie :)

Of course asking is often the only way to learn, and I have commended you on the fact that you did just that mp, (for what a commendation from me is worth lol!). I hope you got a bit more insight into the questions you raised, from the responses you received. There's lots to learn matey - I've been at it for decades (learning that is...) and still continue to observe new & interesting things. You will find that your observations are easier to interpret as you go along and absorb more knowledge.

Jamie :)

sorry, didn't read it right the first time. i 100% agree .

I do ask alot of things too, I'm no expert, I do listen to advice but I also make my own choices too based on my experiences. The only reasons in the past I put two together for short periods of time was due to both being such lazy things who were already trained to eat elsewhere, but I still watched them like a hawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back