Scorps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenmouse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any laws regarding collection of scorpions in Australia specifically the NT , my new block in humpy doo has a large population of scorpions , not sure what species but they range from 10-12 cms average and are a deep red-brown color with darker pincers, I have caught one and fed it crickets , he was voracious to say the least and the crickets last about 1 second when the land in the container. I have nearly stood on a couple of them.

here is a photo of one, this one was on the smaller side the larger ones are darker normally , can anyone id it?

Attachments

• DSC00873.JPG
    DSC00873.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
its a urodacus species.
possibly a very light excellens specimen
regarding laws... pm sent

Last edited:
Looks like a male Flinders Ranges.

I know in QLD you need a permit to collect for commercial purposes. dunno about the other states

nice scorp btw

Don't bother catching them one by one, just spray the whole block with insecticde :). Ghastly things lol!

Jamie

haha they are not Jamie! My bf has one that will happily sit in your hand. And you obviously have never seen a hungry scorpion hunt down TWO crickets at once and carry them round like bananas in each of her pinchers, just snacking on them, because then you would clearly think them very un-ghastly.

I'll happily spend my time in a room with 50 tiger snakes loose in it, but if I think there's a scorp, centipede or one of those awful big soft brown crickets that bite... forget it :). They're so unpredictable and pop up from nowhere.

I don't mind spiders though. Weird eh? It's been a lifelong thing for me!

I don't intentionally kill them though, just for record lol!

Jamie

Hey we all have our things. I for one do not like caterpillas. The way they move makes me want to vomit and yet I've picked up a bunch of spideys (Ps wish we could keep all them tarantulas etc).
Centipedes aren't good though I swear you see 80% more dead ones than you ever do live ones.

"I swear you see 80% more dead ones than you ever do live ones."

That can only be a good thing lol!

J

we get some massive centipedes too they really creep me out you have to squash every segment before the stop moving and even when their head is squashed the back part keeps trying to bite you , thats just plain wrong.

we get some massive centipedes too they really creep me out you have to squash every segment before the stop moving and even when their head is squashed the back part keeps trying to bite you , thats just plain wrong.

the back part are the terminal legs, they are just legs they raise to warn off predators

i used to love watching my scorpion boog around eating crickets.. after a year or two he learned i was the feeder and would click his claws all around on the sides of his tank at night when he wanned food, then id chuck in a cricket and he would smash it straight away. always head first too..

i used to love watching my scorpion boog around eating crickets.. after a year or two he learned i was the feeder and would click his claws all around on the sides of his tank at night when he wanned food, then id chuck in a cricket and he would smash it straight away. always head first too..

Oh that clicking is hilarious!! honest sometimes you would swear they were ten ft tall with size 11 feet they are so noisy. Like who would think such a creature could actually wake you up in the middle of the night.
The funniest was when she renovated her enclosure. Honest, there was a large rock in there on flat ground, she moved the rock to the opposite side of her tank and designed some cool burrows in one night. When we saw it in the morning she was standing on top of the boulder just staring at us.

Oh that clicking is hilarious!! honest sometimes you would swear they were ten ft tall with size 11 feet they are so noisy. Like who would think such a creature could actually wake you up in the middle of the night.
The funniest was when she renovated her enclosure. Honest, there was a large rock in there on flat ground, she moved the rock to the opposite side of her tank and designed some cool burrows in one night. When we saw it in the morning she was standing on top of the boulder just staring at us.

I couldnt agree more. I got woken up heaps by mine. Cool critters though. I also loved the uv trick, terrible photo but you get the idea.
31b004ad-34f4-b8b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah We need to buy one of those lights they get BRIGHT as!
So it's concluded then, end of thread: scorpions are cool :)

Just ignore that Urodacus elongatus are from SA.
:shock:

Collecting legislation & permits Northern Territory Naturalist (2007) 19 37
Table 1. Terrestrial invertebrates currently listed as protected wildlife under the NT Territory Parks and Wildlife Conservation Act. Conservation status of threatened wildlife is as follows: CR = Critically Endangered; EN = Endangered; VU = Vulnerable. Asterisk (*) designates those taxa also listed under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act.
Mollusca: Gastropoda
Amphidromus cognatus (VU) Basedowena squamulose (VU) Bothriembryon spenceri (VU) Dirutrachia sublevata (VU) Divellomelon hillieri (VU) Granulomelon arcigerens (VU) Granulomelon gilleni (VU) Granulomelon grandituberculata (VU) Mesodontrachia desmonda (EN) Mesodontrachia fitzroyana (CR)* Ordtrachia australis (EN)
Ordtrachia septentrionalis (EN) Pillomena aemula (VU) Prototrachia sedula (VU) Semotrachia caupona (VU) Semotrachia elleryi (VU) Semotrachia emilia (VU) Semotrachia esau (VU) Semotrachia euzyga (EN)* Semotrachia filixiana (VU) Semotrachia huckittana (VU)
Semotrachia illarana (VU) Semotrachia jessieana (VU) Semotrachia jinkana (VU) Semotrachia rossana (VU) Semotrachia runutjirbana (VU) Semotrachia winneckeana (VU) Setobaudinia victoriana (VU) Sinumelon bednalli (CR)* Trochomorpha melvillensis (VU) Vidumelon watti (VU)
Chelicerata: Arachnida
Theraphosidae (all indigenous species) Urodacus (all indigenous species) Liocheles (all indigenous species)
Insecta: Lepidoptera
Attacus wardi (EN) Croitana aestiva (EN)* Euploea alcathoe enastri (EN)* Ogyris iphis doddi (EN)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back