Help needed!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvez

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I just got a call from a mate who was a bit worried about he's jungle carpet, he tried feeding live and left the livey in overnight for some reason, of course the worst happened and apparently it attacked it or something he isnt quite sure! Now the snake has apparently gone really pale and he said the tail is stiff not flexible like its gonna snap? I've advised soaking snake in watered down betadine to kill infection but any other suggestions guys? Vet will be tommorow apparently!

im no expert but maby its in shock? i duno if its going pale and realy stiff. i would probly get the wounds cleaned up then put him in a box so he feels safe and do a check up every now and then till he goes to the vet "thats what i would do"

good luck

Hope he makes it to the vet and that they can help. Don't quite understand
that he's gone pale? How long ago did this happen?

I don't know when it happened i assume last night but thats a guess. I'll find out more tomorrow, hoping the betadine worked well :)

Why on Earth would he live feed? And worst, leave it over night unsupervised?

Not to mention it's illegal in Oz, snakes bred in captivity have different hunting technics/instincts, not passed on by their (perhaps also captive bred) parents...

In the wild snakes would have more room to play ambush and prey more room escape, in a locked enclosure, that prey would feel 'cornered' and would have no choice but to defending itself.

just my 2 cents.

If it is stiff due to rigamortis then no vet will be able to help.

Your mate is silly, death, illegal. I'm sure harvez knows all this. Chap asked for help, that isn't helping...

P.s sorry assumed harvez is a chap

i'd say if it aint dead by the morning get it to vet asap. and tell your mate to learn from his mistake. we all make mistakes even stuppid ones. we just need to learn from them.

Don't soak the poor bloody thing in anything containing water - water is a great carrier of germs, and moisture gets them breeding very quickly indeed. If you use an antiseptic use it according to the instructions.

Wetting the snake with water will guarantee infection.

Won't say anything about live feeding - the results speak for themselves in this case. One more brain cell and your mate would double his count...

Jamie

Yeah was a very stupid thing to do indeed, the overnight thing shocked me! Thanks for the help guys much appreciated.

A guy I know lost his 10 year old Jungle about a month ago when he split from his partner and dropped 2 live rats into the enclosure as he walked out. She turned the power off, rats attacked the jungle, she was found a week later when he went home to get her and she died later that night (wedged herself behind the rock wall backing to escape) what a horrible horrible pain she must have experienced.

At least she was warm when she passed and not wedged behind that wall in the cold. RIP little girl.

I hope people who think it's okay to feed live read threads like this - to see the damage and death it can cause.

I hope this python was luckier than the Jungle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back