I found a snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nhabib90

Reaction score
Hi I have a reptile license but I found a snake at work that came from Queensland In a freight of bananas it's a green tree snake , is there any way I can keep the snake legally.

no you can not keep it, and no you cannot even touch it, unless you have a damage mitigation permit and have been asked by the owner to remove the snake, and still it has to be released asap.- you can not keep any wild native / protected animal.
Graeme

Of course you can, you're a clever lad. You've worked out how to have more than one account so you should be able to finagle something.

But the snake won't survive in the wild here im in Vic it needs a humid habitat and way owner it's a wild snake there has to be something I can do its not like it's not on the listening list u are allowed to own the. The way i see it is i have rescued an injured animal and I have the requirements to look after the little feller and I have the knowledge .

Dont actually keep it, just keep it till you get it all up to strength and so on for awhile and then maybe release it :).....

Dont actually keep it, just keep it till you get it all up to strength and so on for awhile and then maybe release it :).....
still cant do that im afraid , he has to take it to the relevant authorities , they will do what is needed , unless you are licensed to take care of injured wildlife , your normal licence does not cover it

I heavily doubt that you would be able to keep it but the best thing for you to do is too contact the relevant authorities and explain your situation. These people look into the best interest of the animal. It doesn't hurt to ask!!!!
But yes i understand that it is very tempting to 'give it a good home'

Wouldn't the obvious answer be, keep it safe and contact the DSE and ask them what the process is?

You could keep it on the quiet . The first step would be to NOT go online to a very popular reptile site and tell everyone about it , oops . Call the DSE , dont release it as its not a native to VIC .

still cant do that im afraid , he has to take it to the relevant authorities , they will do what is needed , unless you are licensed to take care of injured wildlife , your normal licence does not cover it

hand it over to the relevant authorities and they will kill it because it's "exotic"

Had the same thing happen at where i work,
a green tree snake was in a box of bananas,i caught it and placed it in a bag,
work called featherdale and sent some bone head that said it was a yellow faced whip snake!!!!!
Dont know what happened to.

Huh? Waddya mean exotic?

Simply that it is not 'native' to Vic therefore it is 'foreign' to the state...
[h=2]ex·ot·ic[/h][ig-zot-ik]

adjective 1. of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized: exotic foods; exotic plants.

Simply that it is not 'native' to Vic therefore it is 'foreign' to the state...
[h=2]ex·ot·ic[/h][ig-zot-ik]

adjective 1. of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized: exotic foods; exotic plants.

lol nice try but abroad in this context means beyond the boundaries of its native country of origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back