Jobs in the Herp field?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvez

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what jobs are there to break into in the herp field? Im 19 and haven't really figured out what i wanna do with my life yet, but what would be a good step in the right direction for the reptile life :p!

You should volunteer to work for an animal park that has reptiles. You'll need to do that for at least a few years before you'll be considered for employment, but be warned - the pay will be poor and you will have virtually no chance of growth without adding some serious qualifications to your repertoire.

Jamie

Employment as what though? What's the avenues that this area of work could take me down?? I want to know them all :D

Hey
For staters,working with animals/reptiles is a very competitive industry to break into.i recommend volunteering at your nearest zoo to get as much practical experience as u can.thats the most common way of scoring a job.consider doing a uni course in Science(biology) or similar.many jobs require some sort of qualification,and if u choose a wide subject to study it will give you options if u decide you want to do something else with your career.good luck

Yeah i know study will be needed and i know exactly where i can volunteer aswell! Is there a list of possible jobs/careers i can look at?

Ive been volunteering at a reptile park for a few years,u learn heaps! Personal circumstances means i cant travel far to work,but if you can,be flexible.odds are you will have to travel a fair bit to get work.i know many people who moved interstate to work at zoos all around the country.
Well some possiblities jobwise;Zookeeping,reptile displays,breeding,conservation,research,national parks...

The first thing you'll want to work out is what kind of job you're interested in - something academic? Something where you just care for animals? Do you want to work outside in the field or be based indoors? Once you've got a little bit of an idea of some of those kind of basics it'll be a lot easier to narrow the field.

I'm 34 and besides being a good husband and father don't really know what I wanna do with my life yet, LOL.

As moussaka has pointed out you need to narrow the field.

Academic? Husbandry? Labarotory? Field? One of the better paid options would be field work for survey companies contracted to the mining industry which requires excellent field skills but often unreliable/seasonal employment.

Well i know how young and ignorant it sounds but i dont work well with the academic side of things haha! Im a very hands on person would rather be out and about in the field!

Harvez

Working the in the field, as in getting paid to go find reptiles pays very well.
Although it's a rough lifestyle (like working in the Mines) and may not be suited to people with other commitments.

Getting a job in that area generally has a Uni degree as a pre-requisite OR have some great references from great field herpers and have a great amount of personal herping experience behind you.

Although money is nice im not in it for that, would love a job that im passionate about, im still reasonably new to herping wouldn't say im an expert but yeah im young so have alot to learn and alot of people to meet :)

Try and get some volunteering under your belt - best way to both get experience and try a few different things and see what you enjoy. Quite often PhD students are after volunteer field assistants, you could maybe shoot off an email to whoever's head of zoology/equivalent department at your local university.

If your prepared to travel, a bit of self-promotion in the form of canvassing reptile related positions couldn't hurt. I scored a labouring position, which led to husbandry and tour guide by doing just that. Mind you, I had to travel from Canberra to Broome to do so! Still, it shows your keen, if nothing else. I too prefer the hands on stuff and you'll be guaranteed plenty of that at a croc farm:)! Try ringing (regularly and often) as well as sending a resume. Alternatively, volunteer and complete a Cert III or IV in Captive Animal Management. Head up to the North/ North West of the country, they are less formal in terms of proceedure and necessary Quals, as long as your prepared to get your hands dirty and have a go. Great fun too:)!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Will definitely be making a few inquiries, thanks heaps for the help guys! There's a wildlife sanctuary not too far from me and they are always keen for volunteers and i actually know 2 of the people who are quite high up there, could be a little bit of a headstart :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back