Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan1994

Reaction score
Hey guys hope your all going well :) i've had a bearded dragon now for 7 months :). i love him to death his name is "chilli" anways, i'm thinking now i want to buy a blue tongue lizard :) just wanted to ask a few questions though.

1) I have a reptile license, it expires 2013. but if i buy a blue tongue lizard, does that mean i need to buy another license?
2) When is it blue tongue breeding season?
3) what substrate do you recommend apart from sand, and where do you think i can buy it?
4) what is an appropriate size tank for a lizard? can you give me length and width measurements in (CM)
5) what are there poo like?? is it worst than a bearded dragon? is it like water poo or is it hard poo? like a mouse?

THank you :)

Answers to what I can help with, others may be able to answer the rest.
1) I’m not sure where you live but in NSW you can have multiple herps on the once license so long as they are in the class of license you hold
2) Just a guess but I would say the same time as your beardy may depend on locale
3) I like critter crumbles, easy to clean and looks good
4) Not 100% sure what others think but for a single BT I would say 120cm by 45cm
5) From what I remember they are similar to a bearded dragon.

G'day and welcome.
To your first question as long as you keep reptiles you need your licence. ( in NSW and I'm pretty sure in all other states.)
2 spring/summer
3 some type of bark like reptibark looks good but not so easy to clean. Kitty litter works well.
4 as big as you can. 3 foot tank for a single adult would be the smallest I would go.
5 a mixture of both.
Hope that helps. there will be plenty of other people here with a lot more experienced then me to give you a hand here. Soak it up like a sponge.

such nice people here :) i'm deciding what reptile i want. i'm actually thinking now i might buy a snake :) ... whats a good beginner snake to buy? i don't want it to big though

Mate it really depends on what you like. The stimsons and children's are great but so are womas it's really a personal choice and most cat 1 snakes aren't really hard to look after you just need to do alot of homework on what your getting and what they need and stick to the husbandry needs and they will thrive.

+1 childreni or stimsons for a smaller species, and useually good to handle, but make sure you get somethinp YOU like not settle for something you will change your mind on, I love the elcho island childreni and the windora or wheatbelt stimmi there very nice
Welcome to aps by the way ;)

I'm actually getting a few hypo caramel coastals next

children pythons are the best in my opinion. and there are a variety of colour you can get them in e.g my female is reduced pattern and my male caramel. i find with mine they are the best to handle.

also cat/ critter litter is the best, i get one that looks like brown pellets and is larger so they don't accidently eat it with their food. so easy to clean too.

Bluetongue poop (or at least that which I've seen) is waaaaaaay worse than dragon poop...rather than being all nicely wrapped up in a skin it's all sloppy and stinky. It wasn't my lizard though, so I'm not sure if that's the norm.

For substrate I use kritter's crumble, which seems to be pretty good.

If you're after a small python practically anything in the Antaresia genus would be fine (certainly childreni, macs, stimsons) - they're generally quite placid, very pretty (in my opinion, anyway!) and easy to source. My favourites are wheatbelt and Pilbara stimsons. :)

Just with your question regarding substrate for blue tongues, completely backing hemp on this one, I have two blueys in the hemp, one loves to dig and poop in the substrate and the other loves to bask on top of the substrate and poop in his water. Either way, the hemp balls up around their waste so it makes it easy to clean out. They both love it :)

I would consider hemp as a substrate it is clean , high absorbancy , low dust , reduced ammonia smells , no chemical residues no damaging Phenols .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back