Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlakeHay48

Reaction score
Hi, in the past me and my family have had lots of pets, two of them being snakes (stimpsons python and black headed python). I am looking for a snake for myself, and saw the green tree snake. This snake is quite inpressive with its appearence, but I have seen that you cant hold it alot. I am looking for a snake that i can hold alot, and which is about the size of a black headed. I'm 13, if that helps at all.

Thankyou, all answers appreciated

You can hold any snake a lot, whether you will also get bitten a lot is another question entirely.
If you are afraid of getting bitten, get a hatchie. It will bite more, but it doesn't hurt, and it's easier to not be afraid of a very small snake, instead of constantly being afraid of a large snake which will probably hurt if it bites you.

You're 13 and want a snake the size of a BHP! That's impressive.

Most carpet pythons get to a much bigger size than a stimson's but not quite the size of a BHP. If you want a python similar in size to a BHP, I'd go an olive python. You will find a lot of mixed feelings on these snakes but I have found them to be very lovely. If you can pick up a hatchling to yearling, you can get the feel while it's still small.

If you wanted a carpet python (they grow to approx 8 foot), you could try a Darwin, Bredli, Coastal, Murray Darling. Black and gold jungle pythons can be snappy but I have owned all of the carpets and enjoyed them all.

Remember, every snake is like a human and has a personality of it's own. As disintegratus said, if you get a younger snake, it can get used to you and your smell and can grow with you.

We got coastal pythons for our first about 2 years old they where. They are our best handlers still! They love being out and have no problem with the children touching and holding them. Our 4 yr old takes them out on the lawn all the time an watches tv with them. They just curl around her legs or on our laps and sleep. In saying that they are out everyday almost so I figure that why they are so placid. But I will say that as an adult I do fine they can be a little strong for me when they are not wanting to move off the fan or lounge lamp. So I'm not shore how you would go being a teen, but I do know teens that make me look like a smurf. Hope this helps

Yearling Mac, Stimi or Childrens. Get it used to being handled and as it does you will learn more about handling a snake so as not to stress it etc. That way too if the snake gets grumpy it won't hurt you as the bite is barely able to draw blood.. When you are more confident then you can look at a larger snake. You might be able to do the same thing with a hatchy Bredli and by the time it is big enough to give nasty bites it shouldn't be an issue. Woma's and BHP are lovely tempered snakes but have their own care issues but if your family have owned them before it shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe a Murrydarling carpet python, they have got pretty good temperaments and can be handed a lot

Skelhorn;22:P26310 said:
VenomOOse....with all this talk of "tossing" the poor fella is going to be a bit confused ;)

Aren't all 13 yo boys with black heads tossers. I know I was :p

Go a coastal, there useually placid

Why would someone bother coming back to this forum given the raft of rubbish responses they have received on their very first post? If it were me in his position I would certainly be utilizing an alternative Australian reptile forum in the future. I hope he doesn’t but....

Those people that have delivered rubbish, have a think about it. The OP has been clear, concise and informative. So we know the background and the reasons he is seeking help. He is only just in his teens, yet he has delivered all the attributes so many of you complain are missing in other opening posts.

Because one person does post inappropriate nonsense does not mean the thread has been sullied beyond saving and it is therefore OK for others to follow suit. Ask yourself, can you really vindicate the answer you provided to such a well-structured, polite and genuine request for help?

To those that did the right thing, good on you. The only thing I would add is that any python well in excess of 2m should never be handled alone. I have personal experience of removing a 3m carpet from around a mate’s neck. His efforts to get his hands in to make room seemed to stimulate to contract. Other than that BlakeyHay48, if you can ignore the nonsense (in including the scrubbie answer) there is a lot of very useful info here. Irrespective, good luck with your choice.

Blue

Why not a BHP? I've found ours to be fantastic to handle and they're a stunning snake. Other than that I'd have to agree with a carpet; coastal or MD would be my recommendation. Relatively hardy, good size, beautiful variations... You can't go wrong really.
I'm around 75% sure though that handling ability isn't so much as issue here for the OP, rather that he's looking for a snake that is able to be handled a lot. If this is the case then bear in mind that handling can cause a relative amount of stress in a fair few reptiles, so 'a lot' may not be as much as you'd like. Having said that though, as has been mentioned previously, every individual is different and each has varying levels of tolerance for handling. Getting your snake as a hatchie would be key there, as you can come to know it and its quirks as it grows.
Hope this helps :)

Go a woma although not as big as a blackhead they are very placid even my big 7 footer. They are also easier to feed than the blackheads I've had.

I second Wrightpython... womas are great. I have tried to not over handle mine (no, that's not intended as another penis joke), but it has never seemed stressed when handled. It loves the chance to get out of its enclosure and have a wander around the house.

I'd go a woma as well if you don't want something too big. I didn't handle mine as such, I just took him out and he just sat where ever I put him wether it be on the floor while I cleaned his enclosure or on my lap while I watched Tv. When he sold, I think it was cos he just sat in their hands and didn't move the whole time lol.

Join the Hawkesbury Herp Society and go to a meeting. Very very friendly and their people are local and extremely knowledgeable.

We clearly differ in our judgment of what we consider serious. Perhaps I am not discerning enough but I prefer to give the OP the benefit of the doubt until demonstrated otherwise.

My comments do not emanate from any notion of being superior or through arrogance. I am as fallible as the next person. I do, however, have a strong desire to see people/posters treated with respect, as would occur if you were facing each other. Whether I am right or wrong about the thread is almost irrelevant. It is a case of simply following the site rules. The fact that a mod, not me, saw fit to remove your comment, should tell you something.

I would also make the point that this is a query that is common amongst beginning keepers and as such can be referred to for the useful information herein.

Having articulated my ratinale here I shall delete my previous comment.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back