python lifespan

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tahniandshae

Reaction score
heres a quick question. how long have some of you had individual pythons for. I just had to have my 14yo female carpet put down because of a tumor. That seemed too young to me. R.I.P jesse

I'm so sorry to hear that.

There have been a couple of "age" threads before and I remember mention of one python, an olive I think, that lived to the grand old age of 30 plus. Her actual age was unknown because she was wild caught as an adult. But just like cats and dogs - and humans for that matter - there are variations and sometimes they don't live as long as you'd hope they would. It's the risk we take when we become attached to an animal.

Im sorry to hear about your loss, but I think 14 years is actually one of the oldest pythons I have heard of on here......I know they canlive inot their 20's but I don't know that it happens very often.

Elizabeth

I have a spotted python that I got as a hatchie and it has just turned 24!! I have bred with her many times, even a maturnal incubated clutch. She has been in retirement now for many years though. She was the first snake I purchased.

I have a spotted python that I got as a hatchie and it has just turned 24!! I have bred with her many times, even a maturnal incubated clutch. She has been in retirement now for many years though. She was the first snake I purchased.
You bred WITH her?

wow wish i could have owned or even afforded a python @ 10 yrs old

oh so sorry to hear,... :(

i always read 20-30 years, and thats what im hoping for,...

i got my first diamond when i was 6 years old as a yearling and shes still going strong 26 years later. i just dont feed her as often as most people feed there snakes and find you get better longevity. she gets fed once a month for 5 months of the year and cooled every year. in outside avairy in Hawkesbury district NSW

We have bhps and darwins that are 25+.We breed them every now and again and they still produce decent clutches and healthy young.

I'll ask a question in the question, as most of you know im in love with scrub pythons, anyone know they life expectancy of them?

i have heard reports of one scruby being over 40 years old and know of another that is definately 35 years in captivty and was 8 ft when caught

Oh yeah interesting, anyone know of the longest living AUSTRALIAN python?

I know of a couple of spotted pythons that were wild caught in the late 70's & still kickin.
+ a 33 year old retic..

is she still alive and well ?

i got my first diamond when i was 6 years old as a yearling and shes still going strong 26 years later. i just dont feed her as often as most people feed there snakes and find you get better longevity. she gets fed once a month for 5 months of the year and cooled every year. in outside avairy in Hawkesbury district NSW

She must be tiny! I feel sorry for her! 5 feeds a year is insane

While we're on this. I have 3 young Pythons that are 6 months old or there abouts that get fed every 6 days. Some people think I'm over feeding... Breeders I got them off say it is about right. As long as they still poo and whatever else fine. They shed pretty frequently though... So maybe i am over doing it. And no, they don't have mites.

They are just growing very rapidly. But I wouldn't of thought this was a problem if you provide appropriate heat requirements... Set at 34 hot end... Lowest it has dipped is 29 on cold nights... But they are always warm when I get them out. Click clacks are pretty humid too. Might also explan the rapid growth.

Tobe404- listen to the breeder. That is fine for young animals. For older ones, not much needed when not breeding.

Two diamond-coastal hybrids at our school (don't tell SA authorities!) are 22 and going strong. They belong to another teacher. My oldest known age snake is a 9-year old stimmie. Just a youngster!

She must be tiny! I feel sorry for her! 5 feeds a year is insane
She gets rabbits and road kill possums and she is now eight footish so no she isn't tiny and don't feel sorry for her she is the best looked after snake I have, I just don't over feed her and have found she has flourished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back