Thermostat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahra

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Please advise me on a good brand as I've had nothing but trouble with this one I recently purchased from reptile direct Australia.

Habistat are good, but they cost a little more than you likely paid for the one at RDA.

Well I paid $60 and I intend on getting my money back and never trusting eBay again. The thing is horrible! It heats my mat up to the setting I want and than starts beeping at me and continues to heat it to a further 5 degrees while still constantly beeping at me! and it will do this non stop! Doesn't sound right does it? Not to mention my enclosure is in my room so when I'm trying to sleep I have to shut it off so I'll be sending it back.

The heat mat will continue to heat up a short while after switching off, thats normal.

Sounds like you don't have it set up ideally.

If its the black one with the blue screen you can turn the alarms off and I seem to remember the heat and light plugs are labeled wrong which is why it heats above the temp you set it on. If it is the same model as I have, it took me a while to work it out but it works well now.

If its the black one with the blue screen you can turn the alarms off and I seem to remember the heat and light plugs are labeled wrong which is why it heats above the temp you set it on. If it is the same model as I have, it took me a while to work it out but it works well now.

You're kidding ?
The description says top of the range ATC. Is this the same as yours?

Just checked the screen. Not the same as yours.

Its just strange because it shouldn't continue heating it up to 5 degrees and continuously beeping at me like it does. It just doesn't turn the device off even after 20 minutes to cool it down, it just keeps heating it up.

I have the heat may under the substrate with a ceramic tile ontop protecting the snake and for air flow as suggested on this site to me and the probe is attached to the top side of the ceramic tile amongst the substrate. Does that sound reasonable?

Last edited:
The heat mat will continue to heat up a short while after switching off, thats normal.

Sounds like you don't have it set up ideally.

Okay I've made a 35 minute time line of the thermostats switched on. Here it is.

The probe is hovering above the ceramic tile on a clear plastic suction cap and is amongst the substrate in her hide above the section that heat mat is placed under.

I turn the device on.

Setting are 28 degrees. Warning set for if temp exceeds or decreases by 2 degrees.

Starting temperature was 29.4 degrees.

5 minutes running, 30.5 degrees and is clicking the heat source on and off constantly.

7 minutes running time, 30.8 degrees as device is clicking the heat source on and off constantly still.

10 minutes running time temperature is 31.2 asks alarm sounds twice. Heat source is cut off and temperate drops to 30.8 degrees immediately. Heat source than turns back on and heats to 31.2 degrees and alarm sounds twice but device continues heating. Temperature is maintained at 31.2 degrees and alarm sounds at
Intervals constantly.

13 minutes running time. Alarm is sounding at intervals, temperature remains at 31.2 degrees.

16 minutes running time. Alarm continuously sounding intervals and temperature has risen to 31.6 degrees. Alarm continuously sounds for up to 45 seconds and than continues with the alarm at intervals.

20 minutes running time. Alarm sounding continuously for up to 45 seconds, temperature has risen to 31.9 degrees. 10 second Alarm intervals continue.

23 minutes running time temperature has risen to 32.2 degrees. Alarm sounding at 30 second intervals. Temperature rises to 32.3 degrees.

27 minutes running time temperature has risen to 32.7 degrees and alarm sounds at intervals.

31 minutes running time device heat up to 33 degrees. Alarm continues to sound at intervals.

33 minutes running time temperature 33.4 degrees and rising as alarm continues to sound at intervals.

35 minutes running time, temperature up 33.8 degrees, alarm continues to sound at intervals.

Thermostat and heat mat simultaneously switched off.

Can anyone explain this to me please? I am confused as anything.

The probe is trying to read the temp, your measuring the temp on the top of the tile at the furthest point of contact. Stick it under the tile and it will read a lot more accurately & quicker than where it is.
Another note, most thermostats have a minimum load so if it is under the minimum load it wont control properly no matter what you do..

The probe is trying to read the temp, your measuring the temp on the top of the tile at the furthest point of contact. Stick it under the tile and it will read a lot more accurately & quicker than where it is.
Another note, most thermostats have a minimum load so if it is under the minimum load it wont control properly no matter what you do..

Okay I'll do that and I'll check the minimum load. Thank you!

No minimum load specified on the product.. Probe placed where you directed and within 5 minutes temperature raised to 33 degrees and is continuing to rise as we speak.

I think I'll just get my refund and try a different brand.

Last edited:
Is the heat mat under a glass tank? If so, put the probe directly onto the glass in the bottom of the tank, it will read a lot quicker to the temps of the heat mat. It will take a lot longer for the heat to penetrate though the substrate, but it will get there. You may need to run the stat a bit hotter to compensate for heat loss, but you if you set it up correctly, you chould have no dramas.

Is the heat mat under a glass tank? If so, put the probe directly onto the glass in the bottom of the tank, it will read a lot quicker to the temps of the heat mat. It will take a lot longer for the heat to penetrate though the substrate, but it will get there. You may need to run the stat a bit hotter to compensate for heat loss, but you if you set it up correctly, you chould have no dramas.

No the enclosure is made of wood. The heat mat is inside the enclosure beneath a thin ceramic tile and the heat mat has these little gel feet on it to lift it from the wood so airflow is sufficient and i'm using Kritters crumble as substrate. I would take a phoo but I'm on my iPhone and it can't upload from it.
I have since removed the heat mat until I sort out the refund of the thermostat. I am certain it is faulty.

What he said.

Currently looking at habistat. I'll give them a shot. Cheers!

I have been running ATC for last 2 years never had a problem the probe is under the heat mat it goes off when 2deg over and comes back on when it goes 2.2 deg below lowest temp set. Try ringing them and asking them how you should set it up as they know their products.

I have been running ATC for last 2 years never had a problem the probe is under the heat mat it goes off when 2deg over and comes back on when it goes 2.2 deg below lowest temp set. Try ringing them and asking them how you should set it up as they know their products.
Yea I already went through it all with them and had the same results. I've sent it back anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back